What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 - Bulldogs vs Rabbitohs: Sunday 5th July 6:30pm @Bankwest Stadium

NovoBunny94

Juniors
no disreape to Nicholas and sironen, but I think we bed to persist with Mago & Sele on the bench. I was disappointed at Souths tonight even though we won.. i hate Bennett's defensive set up. Sit and wait.. allows the opposition to get quick ptb and alot pcms and because everyone is on the same line its easy for the attacking team to do what they want really. Tough game to watch because i believe our standards as a team should be higher.. alot of our spine players didn't go great which ill lay blame on the fact we have a new fullback who is still learning. But gee it was a hard game to watch. Should have scored way i believe. Our defence was a worry too.. the dogs should have more points if passes stuck and found their man. Farout - as my mate says 'I'm always pessimistic' but until we start playing with more energy, enthusiasm, intensity and a generally higher level ill always be pessismistic because i beleive souths should be better than this.

Travitoh

First Grade
no disreape to Nicholas and sironen, but I think we bed to persist with Mago & Sele on the bench. I was disappointed at Souths tonight even though we won.. i hate Bennett's defensive set up. Sit and wait.. allows the opposition to get quick ptb and alot pcms and because everyone is on the same line its easy for the attacking team to do what they want really. Tough game to watch because i believe our standards as a team should be higher.. alot of our spine players didn't go great which ill lay blame on the fact we have a new fullback who is still learning. But gee it was a hard game to watch. Should have scored way i believe. Our defence was a worry too.. the dogs should have more points if passes stuck and found their man. Farout - as my mate says 'I'm always pessimistic' but until we start playing with more energy, enthusiasm, intensity and a generally higher level ill always be pessismistic because i beleive souths should be better than this.

Completely agree. Souths have gone backwards since Seibold left and Bennett came in. Watching that last night was a chore.

Travitoh

First Grade
Really feel for Burns. The guys career is being wrecked by injuries. Thankfully it seems to only be a dislocation and no serious structural damage to go with it.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Agree with you about Nichols, doesnt offer anything that Mago cant do with more strength and power, disagree about Sironen, I think he offers more than Lowe in attack, but Lowe was much better last night on D

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Completely agree. Souths have gone backwards since Seibold left and Bennett came in. Watching that last night was a chore.
Last year's side was better than Seibold's side esp in attack, more variety and unpredictability, harder to defend, and the fowards were more intimidating than this year. This year's side at the moment has gone backwards, chalk it up to loss of Burgess and Sutton, stop-start because of COVID, Cody's suspension, Roberts missing games, Latrell finding his feet, the backline trying to work with Latrell, Knight below his standard set last year.

I could be wrong, but sometimes to me it looks like the backline movements look too unselfish, everyone wanting to create for others, I'd like to see someone maybe Cody or Latrell say nope I'm taking it and going at the line.

Travitoh

First Grade
Last year's side was better than Seibold's side esp in attack, more variety and unpredictability, harder to defend, and the fowards were more intimidating than this year. This year's side at the moment has gone backwards, chalk it up to loss of Burgess and Sutton, stop-start because of COVID, Cody's suspension, Roberts missing games, Latrell finding his feet, the backline trying to work with Latrell, Knight below his standard set last year.

I could be wrong, but sometimes to me it looks like the backline movements look too unselfish, everyone wanting to create for others, I'd like to see someone maybe Cody or Latrell say nope I'm taking it and going at the line.

The first half of last season Souths played some great footy, i agree. But i believe that was an after effect of the season with Seibold. The attack was still left side dominant with AJ sweeping around the back and Cody being the main attacking weapon. As the season went on, the attacking freedom seemed to disappear. Enter this season it's almost gone and resembles something from 2016-2017.

The loss of the forwards have had an impact in the middle but the backline has had very little change yet they rarely appear to actually threaten the line. Nobody looks like they're trying to create for others, they just shift the ball side to side in hope that something will open up. Latrell has been more of an attacking threat than the remainder of the spine imo.

The post-COVID break rules should suit Cody and Cook but neither of them have fired a shot in anger. Yes the defence is better than 2018 but you need to score points to win. Souths currently look over coached at a time when the rule changes are encouraging free flowing footy more than ever.

Mr Spock!

Referee
The first half of last season Souths played some great footy, i agree. But i believe that was an after effect of the season with Seibold. The attack was still left side dominant with AJ sweeping around the back and Cody being the main attacking weapon. As the season went on, the attacking freedom seemed to disappear. Enter this season it's almost gone and resembles something from 2016-2017.

The loss of the forwards have had an impact in the middle but the backline has had very little change yet they rarely appear to actually threaten the line. Nobody looks like they're trying to create for others, they just shift the ball side to side in hope that something will open up. Latrell has been more of an attacking threat than the remainder of the spine imo.

The post-COVID break rules should suit Cody and Cook but neither of them have fired a shot in anger. Yes the defence is better than 2018 but you need to score points to win. Souths currently look over coached at a time when the rule changes are encouraging free flowing footy more than ever.
Our only creative players in the back line are Walker, Mitchell and sometimes Reynolds. We're basically playing with 4 wingers.

Travitoh

First Grade
And all Roberts can do is run. Has bugger all ball skills, rarely steps past or beats someone and has to have someone else put him in a hole.

I genuinely believe that Burns at his worst is better than what we've seen of Roberts in a Souths jumper.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I genuinely believe that Burns at his worst is better than what we've seen of Roberts in a Souths jumper.
Yeah I never got the hype over Roberts. I watched nearly all his games for Brisbane and honestly only once in a blue moon did something special ie catch the ball and run.

And when you consider the issues he brings with him, I hope we're not paying him a hell of a lot.

Travitoh

First Grade

callmack1

Staff member
Round 8 Gallery - Bulldogs vs Rabbitohs: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/07/06/round-8-vs-bulldogs/

Player of the Game - Round 8: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/07/06/player-of-the-game-round-eight/

I voted for Gags there.

In fact, after watching the replay, I don't think I gave Gags or Graham enough credit. They were both incredible. Easily Gagai's best game for us, over 300 meters what an effort!! Cammy is starting to make that centre position his own too.

On another note, great to see that Su'a hasn't been charged! He's got away with another one which is great news.

Still gutted for Burnsy though.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
can't make the change now considering they've decided to punt AJ, but I still think the team would be stronger and more balanced with Mitchell at left centre outside Cody, and AJ at fullback and pushing through the middle with Cook and Murray. Latrell doesn't have the engine, and it's basically not his game. He is an impact player that will create space on the edges by getting outside his opposite number or drawing in the opposing winger because of his ability and releasing his winger.

Legion

Juniors
Mitchell: Much better than last week but still not at his best. He provided some really silky touches and was involved a fair bit. Great ball to send AJ on his way for the first try. However, I feel like he went missing at times and we still need him more involved in my opinion. Solid kick returns and his defence was fine.

!

"Mitchell: ...... he went missing at times ..."

That's what he does and why many of us say that he will never be a great fullback.
Even on a good day he goes missing in games. Fullback is such a demanding position that he really needs to learn to put in for the entire 80 minutes.
He certainly has the potential.

It will be interesting to see what sort of contract LM is offered for 2021. Whether he keeps the fullback position or not we'll see. I'm more interested in whether he is offered fullback money.
I guess that will be determined by how much he improves over the rest of the season.

Latest posts