What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Brisbane, Suncorp, Fri 3/5 7:35pm

I think it's fair to say they had the bounce of the ball go their way.

You guys scored some tries against them early that were just embarrasing. I dare say you won't get it as easy against us and will have to earn your points. Sure, they had some luck but the way you were just strolling over out wide, early on... You should have put 40 on them.

Can't argue with this but correct me if I'm wrong we seem to win against you guys no matter what else is going on in recent years?

In recent years, we've had a bad record against the Warriors and Manly away as well... We've already overcome both of those "hoodoo's" this year. We are not the same team as we have been in recent years. We are yet to lose an away game in 2013.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not thinking we will just need to turn up to get the points. It will be a tough game and I am looking forward to watching it. Whoever wins it will have to earn the victory. That is for sure.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Can't argue with this but correct me if I'm wrong we seem to win against you guys no matter what else is going on in recent years?

Broncos always seem to lift in front of a home crowd against quality opposition, hopefully we can get the better of them this time, we're a step or two up from the team last year.

What i'd really like to see is a season where we don't play you at Suncorp, seriously it's getting ridiculous... :roll:

JetRider

Juniors
The manly game was very tough (intensity of state of origin) our team will need to recover and may have some hang over to deal with. It will be very tough for us this weekend but I think they can overcome the Broncos.

gUt

Coach
Broncos always seem to lift in front of a home crowd against quality opposition, hopefully we can get the better of them this time, we're a step or two up from the team last year.

What i'd really like to see is a season where we don't play you at Suncorp, seriously it's getting ridiculous... :roll:

So long as we don't go back to Perth...

Big Sam

First Grade
Yes in 2011 and 2012. Otherwise there's only been one game between Souths and Brisbane and it's been at Suncorp.

Broncos will use Souths as form gauge
By Wayne Heming
AAP
Mon 29th April, 3:19pm

Brisbane will use Friday night's NRL blockbuster with premiership force South Sydney as a measuring stick to the club's steady improvement this month.

The Broncos have recovered from a worrying 1-3 start to the 2013 season with a hat-trick of wins over the Gold Coast, North Queensland and Wests Tigers.

But they believe their showdown with a white hot Souths, who out-muscled Manly in a classic clash last weekend, will tell them much more about how far they've come and still need to go.

Such a mouth-watering clash, featuring a galaxy of representative stars, has the pulling power to pack Suncorp Stadium.

Brisbane officials would be bitterly disappointed with anything less than a 40,000-plus turnout given the club's strong recent form and Souths' impressive playing roster which includes Greg Inglis, the superstar the Broncos thought they'd signed a few years ago.

"The last three weeks has certainly given us some stability and some momentum but we certainly understand the magnitude of the task this week against Souths," said Broncos chief executive Paul White.

"Clearly it's the opinion of most good critics that South Sydney and Melbourne are the two benchmark teams.

"This is our chance to show we can compete with a team the calibre of Souths.

"They'll come up here at full strength and we've got the majority of our players back so it represents a wonderful battle between some of the game's best athletes."

Brisbane's forwards have picked things up considerably since a heartening loss to Melbourne in round four, playing a lot more directly which has allowed halves Peter Wallace and Scott Prince to get the attack firing.

"Sammy Thaiday and Corey Parker are leading the way in the forwards, Hodgo (Justin Hodges) is doing a terrific job in the backs and Lexi (Alex Glenn) and Gillo (Matt Gillett) are playing off the back of that," said White.

"Hoffy (Josh Hoffman), Reedy (Jack Reed) and Corey Norman are all benefiting from them so it's starting to work nicely."

White said coach Anthony Griffin, who had some critics after last season's fade out and the slow start to 2013, deserved a lot of credit.

"He keeps his head in the tough times which allows everyone else to keep their heads," he said.

"He's hard but he cares about his players and they know that and they all want to play for him.

"Nobody was more disappointed with how our season finished last year than Hook (Griffin).

"You want honesty and accountability and I think Griffin has them in spades.

http://www.nrl.com/broncos-will-use-souths-as-form-gauge/tabid/10874/newsid/71976/default.aspx

Rabbitohs vs Broncos Live on Channel Nine This Friday
Words: Jeremy Monahan I Photo: Colin Whelan - nrlphotos.com
Monday 29 April 2013 4:51 PM

NRL free-to-air TV broadcaster, the Nine Network, has confirmed today that it has changed its broadcast schedule to show LIVE the Rabbitohs vs Broncos match being played at Suncorp Stadium on Friday 3 May at 7:35pm, in eastern states, including New South Wales.
Originally the game was to be shown live in Queensland and on delay in New South Wales, however Channel Nine has confirmed that the Rabbitohs game will be shown live in New South Wales and the Bulldogs vs Tigers game will be shown on delay on the east coast.
Rabbitohs Members and supporters who cannot make it to Suncorp Stadium will now be able to watch the game live as opposed to a two-hour delay.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news-display/Rabbitohs-vs-Broncos-Live-on-Channel-Nine-This-Friday/73460

t10do

Juniors
1. G. Inglis
2. N. Merritt
3. B. Champion
4. B. Goodwin
5. A. Everingham
6. J. Sutton
7. A. Reynolds
8. D. Tyrrell
9. I. Luke
10. R. Asotasi
11. C. McQueen
12. B. Te'O
13. S. Burgess

14. N. Peats
15. J. Clarke
16. B. Lowe
17. G. Burgess
18. J. Lima

Source: http://www.leagueunlimited.com/news/show/leagueunlimited-nrl-teams-2013-round-8/

Will be interesting to see how Lima goes. Poor bloke has had to cope with two successive deaths.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tone83

Juniors
Last week tested if souths were the real deal, now they've past the test this week will test if the broncs are the real deal. I'm thinking, and hoping despite being a brisbanite, they are not.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
1. Corey Norman < Greg Inglis
2. Josh Hoffman = Nathan Merritt
3. Jack Reed < Beau Champion
4. Justin Hodges > Bryson Goodwin
5. Lachlan Maranta < Andrew Everingham
6. Scott Prince = John Sutton
7. Peter Wallace < Adam Reynolds
8. Ben Hannant > Dave Tyrrell
9. Andrew McCullough < Issac Luke
10.Sam Thaiday > Roy Asotasi
11. Alex Glenn > Chris McQueen
12. Matt Gillett = Ben Te&#8217;o
13. Corey Parker = Sam Burgess

Interchange:
14. Ben Hunt < Nathan Peats
15. Scott Anderson < Jason Clark/Jeff Lima
16. David Hala < Ben Lowe
17. Josh McGuire = George Burgess

Looking over the teams they have it over us in the forwards as in origin experience etc. but our forwards fitness and youth (aside from Asotasi) will help us aim up. I noticed their forwards started making bad reads and a few mistakes late against Tigers last week. This is where we have the ability to power through. I also think our halves combo have had more time to gel than Prince and Wallace so that's another advantage.

Rabbitohs by 8

Tone83

Juniors
I think mcqueen is better than glenn, overrated vs very underrated.
Also george burgess >>>>>>> mcguire, otherwise agreed.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
I tried to be least biased at possible. Glenn has rep games (6 i think for New Zealand) under his belt and McGuire has been pushed as a potential Maroons benchie which is why I did it that way.

derekmc

Juniors
Have second row pair equal, burgess >Parker . The spine of team 1, 7, 9 all well ahead of opposition.
Rabbits by 14

blaza88z

Coach
you guys are off your chops, our accumulative age is by far younger then your teams accumulative age, therefore Brisbane will win

Broncos v Rabbitohs preview
By Nigel Wall,
NRL.com
Wed 01st May, 4:30pm

Three straight wins have seemingly settled the turbulence that marked the Broncos’ bumpy start to 2013 but fans are about to discover whether Brisbane are truly flying in clear air when they take on the rampant Rabbitohs in front of a packed house on Friday night.

After losing three of their opening four clashes Brisbane have clawed their way back up the NRL pecking order, with successive victories over the Titans, Cowboys and Wests Tigers leaving them sixth on the ladder.

While they have played with more cohesion and flair over the past month, this blockbuster will be a better barometer to their premiership credentials, with second-placed South Sydney clearly the best side in the competition aside from pacesetters Melbourne.

Indeed, only the Storm have been able to lower Souths’ famous colours in 2013, with a 17-10 victory in Round 6. The Rabbitohs recovered from that hiccup in emphatic style last week, showing fierce application to weather Manly’s assault at Brookvale Oval, then skip clear of their rivals to win 20-12.

Brisbane will be looking to add to their daunting head-to-head record against the red and green – the Broncos hold a comfortable 9-2 advantage at their Brisbane base and have won 21 of their past 25 games against the Sydneysiders.

Ben Te’o suits up in his first NRL game against the Broncos since heading south at the end of 2012; Te’o was a try-scorer for the Broncos the last time the sides met and will be keen to get one back against his former teammates.

No question this game will be brimming with intensity and physicality – after the working over Greg Inglis received last week it will be interesting to see how Brisbane fare handling his gangly frame in the wrestle. They can ill afford to give away silly or cheap penalties here.

Coaches Anthony Griffin and Michael Maguire have named unchanged line-ups – although Souths have added Jeff Lima and Justin Hunt to form a six-man interchange at this stage.
Watch Out Broncos: Greg Inglis continues to cut a swathe through defences and he will pose a threat to the Broncos’ right edge in particular. The rangy No.1 leads all players for tackle-breaks with 45 so far – he’s on track to better his personal mark of 161 set last season. He’s also carved out 1232 metres, the second-highest tally by a player this year, as well as the most kick-return metres (534).

But it’s not just Inglis who Brisbane will need to swamp early – Souths rank second behind the Roosters for average tackle busts, with 29.3 per game. Others who will prove a handful include George Burgess (23), John Sutton (20) and Issac Luke (18).

Five-eighth Sutton goes from strength to strength playing outside calm-and-calculating halfback Adam Reynolds. Sutton is actually playing more like a wide-running back-rower, striding to almost 12 runs a game and averaging 103 metres every 80 minutes. To put those figures in perspective Canterbury’s Josh Reynolds is the next-most prolific runner in a No.6 jersey with nine runs a game, while North Queensland’s Johnathan Thurston ranks second for run metres with 78! No question Sutton will chance his arm at an offload or two – he has 10 so far, and the Broncos’ are having trouble containing second-phase play, conceding the fifth-most offloads by any team (10 a game).

Watch Out Rabbitohs: Justin Hodges made 15 tackle busts against the Wests Tigers last week – and no, that’s not a misprint. The centre is averaging six tackle-breaks a match – the most by any centre and his nine offloads are also the most by a three-quarter. He’ll gain the home side plenty of metres out of dummy-half, having run 16 times last week and racking up 166 metres. It goes without saying Hodges will prove a handful for Adam Reynolds and Bryson Goodwin.

Souths need to be careful not to gift the Broncos too many turnovers through poor execution because the men wearing gold are unlikely to return the favour – Brisbane are the most-disciplined team in the NRL with the ball in hand, making just eight errors a game.

Brisbane left-side centre Jack Reed is warming into strong form and will look to get his outside man Josh Hoffman into space – no player has tallied more than Reed’s eight line-break assists.

Plays To Watch: The kicking games of the respective No.7s – Souths’ Adam Reynolds has been unflappable punching the ball deep for his team, his 92 kicks and 2449 metres the most off the boot by any halfback. Brisbane’s Peter Wallace ranks seventh with 65 kicks for 1931 metres – and his teammates will be hoping he can emulate his deeds the last time the sides met when he conjured two try assists from clever kicks. Meanwhile Reynolds shares top honours for try assists in 2013 with Mitchell Pearce, the pair each making eight to date.

Other plays to watch include Souths passing deep on decoy plays – it yielded Inglis a try against Manly last week – and Brisbane looking to catch out sleepy Souths defenders with an inside pass one man in from the sidelines inside the opposition 10-metre zone – but for a forward pass call Brisbane would have scored this way when Sam Thaiday and Corey Norman combined last time the sides met.

Key Match-Up: Andrew McCullough v Issac Luke. The battle of the rakes will be a focal point, with McCullough likely to mix a running game from dummy-half with standard feeds to ball-runners and playmakers. He is capable of matching Luke’s jack-in-the-box style, having run 11 times and made four tackle busts in their Round 5 win over the Titans. Meanwhile Luke will do what he does best: dart out of dummy half (10 runs a game for 72 metres on average, the most in the NRL by a hooker), engage the defence (a position-high 18 tackle-breaks) and look to offload (seven so far, second most by a No.9). The scary thing for Brisbane is that despite those numbers Luke has just one line-break assist to his name and is yet to make a try assist or line-break himself.

Where It Will Be Won: The left corner posts at both ends of the field are certain to get a pummelling for the full 80 minutes – this clash pits the season’s co-top try-scorer Nathan Merritt (eight) against the third-ranked Josh Hoffman (seven).

However, it will all start in the engine room. The Broncos boast two relentless carters of the football in Ben Hannant and Corey Parker whose 114 and 112 hit-ups respectively rank them second and fifth among all players. Throw in Parker’s ability to offload (12 to date) and Alex Glenn’s and Sam Thaiday’s triple-figure territory gains per match and Brisbane can lay a solid platform for their speed men to exploit. Ditto the Rabbitohs, who have the magnificent Burgess boys to call on.

The History: Played 27; Broncos 21, Rabbitohs 5, drawn 1. The Broncos have won six of the past nine clashes although it was just four years ago that Souths racked up their biggest win over Brisbane, saluting 44-12 at Suncorp Stadium.

Match Officials: Referees – Shayne Hayne & Gerard Sutton; Sideline Officials – Russell Turner & Chris Butler; Video Referees – Chris Ward & Luke Patten.

NRL Live 2013 App: Gives you access to every NRL game this season on your iPhone or Android smartphone as it’s being broadcast on TV, with up to six live games each week, including the Broncos v Rabbitohs clash. Plus latest live scores, breaking news, comprehensive match highlights and full match replays.

http://nrl.com/broncos-v-rabbitohs-preview/tabid/10874/newsid/72016/default.aspx