What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs Eels

Old Timer

Coach
That's the funny thing with you OT - it's always a poor deduction when you haven't got a good response.

I do embrace it - that's why I don't get worked up over Mary (or his press conferences). I'm guessing you don't have that wisdom the prayer speaks about.
First and foremost you suggested I didn’t know it which was totally incorrect so that was in fact a very poor deduction on your part and a perfectly correct response on my part. You should have simply asked if I knew it instead of showing either your arrogance or ignorance.
You now want to imply that I don’t have wisdom because I don’t embrace a prayer that you subscribe to again a show of both ignorance and arrogance
This is a footy forum where you bring your thoughts, ideas, emotions and discuss them so if your philosophy is the correct one then no need for this place just leave it all in someone else’s hands.
As you missed the implication in my previous post I suggest that you apply the prayer you subscribe to in relation to my posts as they seem to agitate you.

True_Believer

Juniors
First and foremost you suggested I didn’t know it which was totally incorrect so that was in fact a very poor deduction on your part and a perfectly correct response on my part. You should have simply asked if I knew it instead of showing either your arrogance or ignorance.
You now want to imply that I don’t have wisdom because I don’t embrace a prayer that you subscribe to again a show of both ignorance and arrogance
This is a footy forum where you bring your thoughts, ideas, emotions and discuss them so if your philosophy is the correct one then no need for this place just leave it all in someone else’s hands.
As you missed the implication in my previous post I suggest that you apply the prayer you subscribe to in relation to my posts as they seem to agitate you.

Agitate me? Not at all! So it's your turn for a poor deduction by the looks!

I'm just supporting DPs post that it's not worth bursting a blood vessel over Mary's tenure. Your comment that the coaching staff won't let you move on shows you don't embrace it - you can't move on as you've confirmed.

People in here can say that Mary doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity - and yet posting the same stuff over and over and expecting things to change is exactly that.

Old Timer

Coach

I'm just supporting DPs post that it's not worth bursting a blood vessel over Mary's tenure. Your comment that the coaching staff won't let you move on shows you don't embrace it - you can't move on as you've confirmed.

People in here can say that Mary doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity - and yet posting the same stuff over and over and expecting things to change is exactly that.
As soon as coach changes then we can all move on but until then I am happy to discuss what I consider to be the issues at hand and continue to discuss them and at the same time call for change.
That is the reason why this place exists but you seem to think that it is all futile which I totally disagree with
I actually very much enjoy reading all the opinions and just because I will argue with some doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the them and above all I enjoy them cut & thrust of it all.
If you think it should be dumbed down then so be it but trying to preach that philosophy to me will get you no where.

getsmarty

Immortal
GM , Dragonsteve is like the rest of us but points out that wevé got Mary for at least another (2 ? ) years so don't burst a vessel on what you can't change.With a bit of Luck Mary may improve and the way the players f**ked things up yesterday may force him to deal with it. Mary and his cronies are here to stay so lets move on ( although i know at times how hard that is )

Denis, I am well aware that Mary is here to stay. I am just so sick and tired of seeing the same rubbish since Bennett left. Apologies to dragonsteve if he took offense.

Mary may improve ..lets see..probably not enough to make a real difference in terms of winning a premiership and really at the end of the day that is what we all really hope for.

2010 seems like a distant memory. I don't want to wait another 30 years before we win another one and the way the club is run, that is a distinct possibility.

getsmarty

Immortal
Get Smarty, I marvel at the time you put into keeping us as well informed as possible and thank you most sincerely for your efforts. You would be amongst the last in this Forum with whom I would want to quarrel.

I understand fully your frustrations with Mary and his regular and premature reappointment. I am not sure if in your post you were asking me directly how long I would give Mary or whether it was a rhetorical question. But my answer would be to begin by stating that I was very angry when Mary was not sacked at the end of the 2016 season when he had a year left to run on his contract at that time because I thought he had shown quite clearly his incompetence to hold the coaching position at this level.

On Mary's two extensions I have been disappointed but not as angry. Why? I thought a decision to sack him at the end of 2016 was black and white. JD was on hand at that point as a capable replacement. He had much more of an impact on the NSW Cup than Mary had done in his time. Subsequently the decisions were more 50/50 calls because amongst failings the team has had some successes, admittedly with a stronger roster, and if we are to believe the rumours he maintains the support of the core NRL playing group while there was no obvious replacement at hand. This does not indicate I would have supported the decisions to retain him but have some understanding of why the club did so.

Like you I do not harbour any hopes of a Premiership under Mary but I do not dismiss the possibility of one top 4 finish, though now looking unlikely this year. But even if he achieved that in 2020 or 2021 it would be very slim pickings for 7 1/2 years as Head Coach.

Dragonsteve...apologies if my comments came across as personal...was trying to convey things in general terms.

I agree with a lot of what you have stated except that after 2016 their were better options available..

Why would the club try to lure Bennett/BellamyCleary/Maguire all during McGregors tenure and when they knocked us back continue on with the same experiment which is failing due to the fact that they are looking for alternatives. ..Surely this is the definition of Madness.

And from what has been doing the rounds, Barrett will soon be onboard. How many assistant coaches do they need to sign to help him out ? I personally just don't get it....anyway, he is here to stay and we can expect to see they same things we have seen during his entire tenure....

It is pointless going on and on about the coach. Sure there is a problem there, he would have had better results over the past few years. Coaches and Managers are being sacked all the time in other codes world wide. Take English soccer as an example. It is up to senior players to take charge after things are falling apart on the field. The coach is not out there. Take Melbourne, generally Cameron Smith inspires other players when things are off colour. Its time for the players to shape up or ship out. Nothing much can be done about Mary's contract, so the players have got to do with the best they have got and show a bit of character..

True_Believer

Juniors
As soon as coach changes then we can all move on but until then I am happy to discuss what I consider to be the issues at hand and continue to discuss them and at the same time call for change.
That is the reason why this place exists but you seem to think that it is all futile which I totally disagree with
I actually very much enjoy reading all the opinions and just because I will argue with some doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the them and above all I enjoy them cut & thrust of it all.
If you think it should be dumbed down then so be it but trying to preach that philosophy to me will get you no where.

Nah, not saying dumb it down at all. I'm just suggesting that it's not worth the stress some people go through to get worked up over something they can't change. The same things get repeated over and over - even in unrelated threads. It's good to discuss things and I do know what a forum is for. And I'm discussing my opinion on Mary's appointment and peoples frustration at it. I'm doing the same thing just in a different manner to you.

You did suggest that you didn't think it was futile. I'd be interested to know how you think discussing the deficiencies of the coach constantly will make a difference. Its a genuine question because I just don't see it.

Old Timer

Coach
Nah, not saying dumb it down at all. I'm just suggesting that it's not worth the stress some people go through to get worked up over something they can't change. The same things get repeated over and over - even in unrelated threads. It's good to discuss things and I do know what a forum is for. And I'm discussing my opinion on Mary's appointment and peoples frustration at it. I'm doing the same thing just in a different manner to you.

You did suggest that you didn't think it was futile. I'd be interested to know how you think discussing the deficiencies of the coach constantly will make a difference. Its a genuine question because I just don't see it.
I have always believed that venting one's frustrations is better than bottling them up.
By offering opinion in this place then you get to judge whether you are a lone wolf or see if in fact other people understand your position and even when they might disagree with you they may have some empathy for the position that you hold.
The position we are in by virtue of the results that are delivered make it impossible for coach not to be part of the discussion, so if we exclude him what conclusions will be derived and would they be fare conclusions?
Discussing alternate scenarios gives comfort to many and should not be discounted as being good therapy regardless of the number of times it occurs.
Interesting that what annoys many of us namely repeat behaviour of the coach sees you suggest we ignore it and move on as we can't alter it yet what we do in respect of repeat posts annoys you and draws you into the same space as us via your ongoing requests for us to accept and move on.
A little bit of pot calling kettle in my opinion.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
L

It's more venting than expecting

ozbuck

Juniors
I understand your frustration but people criticizing McGregor in 2019 is the culmination of 5 years of watching him in charge of our team.
I believe that people are fed up and aim a lot of criticism his way as a result. Even if, at times it may not be objective.
That's the reason it happens and personally, I don't blame them.
Whatever Bennett did at Newcastle, the guy has won 7 premierships and the team he coaches in 2019 is sitting on top of the table after 8 rounds.
Hard to compare that with where we are at don't you think?
I just think we are long overdue for a change and I am jealous seeing what Bennett is doing at Souths and Hasler at Manly.
Even watching Bellamy blow his stack after losing to Cronulla by 2 points.
We just don't have that kind of focus and quality in our coach's box.

Before last year Mary didnt have them team he was comfortable with and wanted. He stated that at the beginning of last year. What happened?.... Last year we got to the semi finals, 7 minutes from a prelim final but unfortunately Hunt and the team couldnt seal the deal...not marys fault there. What wouldve happened in that game if Widdop stays uninjured during the Broncs game? I think our chances soar.

The other seasons Mary coached its hard to take seriously. Just in the case of Bennett at the Knights, or Seibold at the Broncos right now.

True_Believer

Juniors
I have always believed that venting one's frustrations is better than bottling them up.
By offering opinion in this place then you get to judge whether you are a lone wolf or see if in fact other people understand your position and even when they might disagree with you they may have some empathy for the position that you hold.
The position we are in by virtue of the results that are delivered make it impossible for coach not to be part of the discussion, so if we exclude him what conclusions will be derived and would they be fare conclusions?
Discussing alternate scenarios gives comfort to many and should not be discounted as being good therapy regardless of the number of times it occurs.
Interesting that what annoys many of us namely repeat behaviour of the coach sees you suggest we ignore it and move on as we can't alter it yet what we do in respect of repeat posts annoys you and draws you into the same space as us via your ongoing requests for us to accept and move on.
A little bit of pot calling kettle in my opinion.

Ah yes - good for therapy. Well, if you just accepted the reality, you wouldn't need to bottle anything up!!!

Anyway, you make a very good point. I'll catch you once Mary is out of the picture.

possm

Coach
You can't blame Mary for the loss surely. At 14-0 Saints were flying high and the tactics were working a treat. They weathered the storm and got through the tough part in the game at the beginning where Parra would have been on a high only to let in 3 soft tried. The players lost the game with some really lazy and dumb plays that surely would have had Mary.

What happens next is Mary fault. If he persists with the lazy ill-disciplined players and they play poorly again then Mary should have seen that coming. I think it was really arrogant display by the players. They got to 14-0 and thought they had it won. Then got it back to 18-18 and thought they would win it just like they did against Manly. It just wreaked of arrogance. Whether Mary makes them feel that way that they can beat anyone and just need to turn up and play crap footy is anyone's guess but it did look pretty bad.

In saying that if they improve out of sight next week and put 30+ on the Warriors then you have to give Mary credit. He will have some huge decisions to make this week, lets hope he makes the right ones.
Something change and so we can only guess what changed for us. My best guess the players were told to defend the lead and with that the momentum of the game went Parramatta's way.

Old Timer

Coach
Ah yes - good for therapy. Well, if you just accepted the reality, you wouldn't need to bottle anything up!!!

Anyway, you make a very good point. I'll catch you once Mary is out of the picture.
FFS I couldn’t possibly accept not posting with you for 2.5 years
We just need to be a bit mindful that we all want the same thing but have differing views how to get there
In the main we are all on the same oage

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Dragonsteve...apologies if my comments came across as personal...was trying to convey things in general terms.

I agree with a lot of what you have stated except that after 2016 their were better options available..

Why would the club try to lure Bennett/BellamyCleary/Maguire all during McGregors tenure and when they knocked us back continue on with the same experiment which is failing due to the fact that they are looking for alternatives. ..Surely this is the definition of Madness.

And from what has been doing the rounds, Barrett will soon be onboard. How many assistant coaches do they need to sign to help him out ? I personally just don't get it....anyway, he is here to stay and we can expect to see they same things we have seen during his entire tenure....

No problem, Getsmarty. I think your line that "I personally don't get it.... " would be shared by the vast majority of supporters on this Forum. I had great hopes for change with Brian Johnstone's return to the CEO role but that hope was dashed when we got another premature re-signing.

Before last year Mary didnt have them team he was comfortable with and wanted. He stated that at the beginning of last year. What happened?.... Last year we got to the semi finals, 7 minutes from a prelim final but unfortunately Hunt and the team couldnt seal the deal...not marys fault there. What wouldve happened in that game if Widdop stays uninjured during the Broncs game? I think our chances soar.

The other seasons Mary coached its hard to take seriously. Just in the case of Bennett at the Knights, or Seibold at the Broncos right now.
I don't want to get into a Widdop "would've made a difference" debate because I believe he has been part of the problem all along.
The fact is we conceded 3 field goals to lose that game because of poor game management.
Do you think the coach has anything to do with that or is he just a passive bystander?
Once again, I suggest that you are making an error in judgement if you think Bennett is even in the same galaxy as McGregor in terms of coaching.
Comparing them is sheer folly.

It is pointless going on and on about the coach. Sure there is a problem there, he would have had better results over the past few years. Coaches and Managers are being sacked all the time in other codes world wide. Take English soccer as an example. It is up to senior players to take charge after things are falling apart on the field. The coach is not out there. Take Melbourne, generally Cameron Smith inspires other players when things are off colour. Its time for the players to shape up or ship out. Nothing much can be done about Mary's contract, so the players have got to do with the best they have got and show a bit of character..
That's a really good point which I was going to make in another thread.
I don't get the same sense that the side is being lead on the park by JG/Hunt et al the way the Rorters are by Friend & Cronk or Melbourne are by Smith.

rasaint

Juniors
Hey everyone on a lighter vent; a fellow dragons supporter did some research and apparently that ‘heritage’ kick off penalty was the 1st blown in the NRL for the last 7000 kick offs. He worked it out at a conservative 8 per game etc. for past 5 years or something. Not sure if true but wow we broke the drought.

It’s true our guy had marginally mistimed by overstepping about a metre, so I guess after 7000 disciplined kick offs someone would be pinged some day and it arrived last weekend hahahaha. Too funny and some truly believe that refs don’t carry a little bias against some teams.. they are only human after all.

Seriously, I do agree with Mary when he said that we need to handle and double down after penalties and 50/50 go against us. After all even if a ref were to carry bias he (or she now ) can only do so much and can be taken out of the game as Bennett said.

LINESPEED

Juniors
No problem, Getsmarty. I think your line that "I personally don't get it.... " would be shared by the vast majority of supporters on this Forum. I had great hopes for change with Brian Johnstone's return to the CEO role but that hope was dashed when we got another premature re-signing.

The boy from Dunedoo is a weak individual corruptly installed

& sycophantic & unethical in his catastrophic re-signing of
Waterboy

For what will be a disastrous 8 year tenure

Probably 3 lost premierships therein

Carlton

Juniors
I'll start this post by saying I dont think Latimore is playing as well this year as he was last year and that I think he was good value last year.

His stats for the Eels game were 26 minutes ran for 51 meters from 5 runs, made 20 tackles missed 2 and had no penalties or errors.

His average over the 8 rounds so far are 33 minutes ran for 53 meters from 6 runs, made 23 tackles and missed 1 and had no errors and .25 of a penalty.

If you go by those stats he is doing a reasonable job. Where i dont think he is doing as well as last year is he is not bending the line as much and has put away his offload.

Latest posts