What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs. Rabbitohs Discussion + Voting

Spot On

Coach
McCullough makes some very poor decisions.

What's with the love affair with sending the ball to the left side? Some variation would be nice.

austyphoon

Juniors
Prince has to go. Has to be the worst defender I've ever seen. His kick (re: pass) to GI when we were attacking and missed tackle was the end of the game for us. He also gives away too many penalties.

And to think I was quite happy when I heard he signed....I've changed my mind.

DeeJ

Bench
3. Parker
2. Gillett
1. Hunt

I didn't think we were too bad except for that lapse after half time. I'm amazed how easily Gillett and Parker always offload the ball, just needs someone backing up for it.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Prince has to go. Has to be the worst defender I've ever seen. His kick (re: pass) to GI when we were attacking and missed tackle was the end of the game for us. He also gives away too many penalties.

There's a reason why the GC were eager to offload him & why we got him so cheap. Pay peanuts you get monkeys.

I don't see how we can persist with him & Wallace into next year, it's not a winning formula and it's just going to frustrate Brisbane fans each week. If we've got a plan i hope we can start seeing or hearing something because i don't get all that excited tuning into watch this broncos side.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Very disappointing.

I didn't get a chance to watch the game, but from what I've heard, that second half was diabolical. All in all though, not a very surprising outcome. This business with Hodges being the lynchpin has to stop.

u4er

Juniors
2 - Parker
2 - Gillett
1 - Hunt
1 - Reed

Didn't think we were all that bad, having said that, a lot of dropped ball from the Bunnies kept us in the game. Our second row was excellent, Gillett and Glenn had good games, Parker must have had 6+ offloads. Kahu looked good for his 2nd game, Hoffman had a decent game but needed the ball with some more space. Thaiday was very average, and Hannant seemed to put in the effort but I still thought he had a bad game. Prince was terrible, needs to go to Qcup and either regain some form or play out his career, would rather see Hunt/Wallace in the halves. Wallace was ok, had a couple of good kicks, but FFS maybe try a grubber for a repeat set on the last instead of the same cross field kick every time. You're kicking to Maranta now buddy, not Yow-Yeh. Overall not too disappointing, never really expected us to win, especially without Hodges/Maguire.

Last edited:

AceAv

Juniors
Way to inspire the troops at half time griff...

Prince looked like he was warming up in the first half for a big game. Was happy he converted and got some confidence rolling. Then he just f**ked it all up with poor execution.

Wallace compared to prince is immeasurable. Drop prince and put hunt in 6/7 he was looking amazing tonight.

We butchered some great chances and sths defense was remarkable at times... I was shocked with how many times we found ourselves suddenly on attack, but was never confident we could score. -one thing I noticed was sths centres rushing up to cut out our back line sweep on attack... I think it's time Norman or Wallace practice the dummy to grubber in behind for the winger/centre when we see that happen.

But, We lost the game in the space of 12 minutes. Could have gone to the wire otherwise. I really agree with most about thaiday tonight. Griffin had the option tonight to put gilo in the centres and thaiday to 2d row with Anderson and sydney in. Kahu looked ok in the last 15, but the play died with him a LOT and I kept sighing and wondering what hodges would have done every time the ball went to him. I remember 1 play Gillette got a miracle ball to him at the line and he still got smothered easily. I think the inexperience of our right side cost us dearly.

Hala was looking great! And Parker stepped it up. Wy the f**k isn't he captain?

All in all dissaponted, but not suprised. Glad we didn't let it blow out to much. Pissed off we got disallowed our consolation try. Hopefully they get a hiding for letting souths run away with the game in such a short space. Tats 2 bad 2d halves in a week now!!

3. Parker
2. Gillett
1. Hunt

Country Bronco

Juniors

You're forgetting Prince did make that try saving tackle on Inglis in 1st half? The one where he didn't have the ball. It's the best tackle I've seen him do.

Bretto

Bench
Where do I start...

Souths looked to push Inglish down our right side defence all night. Inglis ran around and through Prince all game. Poor Kahu did a reasonable job on him, and actually put a good shot on Inglis one on one at one stage.

Thaiday had a dreadful game, probably the worst I've seen him play. Not only was he invisible, but you can really tell, well at least it's obvious to me, that the refs have little respect for Thaiday and he commands zero respect with his attitude. He's lazy and his game is really suffering at the moment. McCullough too seems to be regressing. After his kick in the first set of the game when we were on South's line, I thought, WTF are you doing man?!

Ben Hunt looked dangerous with the ball in his hands, and apart from one poor option to go down the blind side when Reed got put into touch, he had a really good game. Why he isn't our #6/7 is f**king beyond me. He shows more creativity in his 20 minutes most weeks than our other halves have all season. If we had have stuck with Norman/Hunt for our 6/7 last year, they'd be 30 or so games each into their combination by now, and I have no question they'd be playing far better football than Prince/Wallace are. I thought Wallace was at least decent again this week. His long kicking game is good. Sure he makes some poor short kicks, but overall he's doing a solid job.

Gillett had a good game, but had that shirt grab on Jason Clark for Souths first try which was just terrible. Gillett will make a really lazy play like that, but then the very next set will hit hard for 3 tackles - It makes no sense.

The Souths forwards were really good. George Burgess ran hard all game, and big Sam had some good runs and was solid in defence too.

If we hadn't of switched off for that 10 minute period, it would have been much closer.

Overall I'm not terribly disappointed, just frustrated with a few brain dead plays that seem to come from the same players week in, week out. So many what if's with this team... If we lose Parker right now, I think we will lose every game we don't have him in the side. He's huge for us right now.

3. Parker
2. Gillett
1. Hunt

Last edited:

unbreaK

Juniors
I find it amusing that Kahu and Hunt showed more promise in attack with their few touches than Prince and Maranta have all year, Hook.. please.

1) Norman
2) Kahu
3) Hodges
4) Reed
5) Hoffman
6) Wallace
7) Hunt

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
Everyone has covered what I was going to say, except for one thing: as safe as Maranta is I reckon I could beat him in a race and I weight about 500kg.

Apart from the first quarter of the match the Bunnies seemed to get the bounce of the ball, not to mention the favour of the refs (not that they really needed it). Does anyone agree with the Norman boot penalty? I thought that was ridiculous.

Hunt needs to be given a starting half spot ASAP, I can't work out why the Broncos think he's worth more to the team as a bench hooker.

Boy

Juniors
I was really proud of the boys but that start to the second half let them down
And yes as someone who has backed maranta I feel let down
Especially seeing as he came out in the media saying how fast he was

On the other hand Souths are playing amazingly this year
I still have hopes for a finals run

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
3. Parker
2. Hala
1. Kahu

All players (except Thaiday) gave 100% I thought and never gave up so as a fan there is not much more you can ask for. We just didn't have the caliber of players to get the job done. Souths had bigger forwards who are somehow still more mobile, a fullback that can turn something out of nothing and a half who can organise and create. Not to mention a Hooker that can completely terrorise tired forwards.

Hala could really turn into a great impact players for us if he can keep that up and improve and continue to play those sort of minutes (and a bit more). Thought Kahu played quite well given that was his second game. Can't remember one of our players (apart from Hodges) making a line break out of nothing. And the flick pass to Maranta was all class. He is certainly no speed machine, which the Broncos are really crying out for, but there was certainly some potential there.

Must admit very disappointed in Thaiday. I thought he had turned a corner over the last few weeks. As one of our most highly paid players he needs to be excellent every week.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had some players where if we make a line break we go all the way to score a try? We got in the clear quite a few time but was always run down. We would have to be the slowest team in the NRL!

AceAv

Juniors
Yep -every time we made a line break I would just be like. "Please let there be no Inglis!" -and there he was...

Tera

Juniors
I said this in the live game thread, but time's up for Maranta. He offers literally nothing in attack - has he ever broken a tackle? Yes he's decent in defence but that doesn't make up for the complete non-existence of his attack. Bring in Kemp at least we KNOW he has speed to burn and is a good finisher.

Dazzat

First Grade
Regarding Maranta ... well the Bunnies had him worked out as well. They kicked the ball ALOT to Maranta and the kick-return was less than inspiring. Without Hodges our first three rucks after a kick-return were terrible.

We definitely need some more sting outside Hodges/Kahu ... possibly Aaron Whitchurch would give more go forward. He's been looking reasonable in Q-Cup and would give the team a more threatening presence on the right side. Maranta is just getting owned.

unbreaK

Juniors
Regarding Maranta ... well the Bunnies had him worked out as well. They kicked the ball ALOT to Maranta and the kick-return was less than inspiring. Without Hodges our first three rucks after a kick-return were terrible.

We definitely need some more sting outside Hodges/Kahu ... possibly Aaron Whitchurch would give more go forward. He's been looking reasonable in Q-Cup and would give the team a more threatening presence on the right side. Maranta is just getting owned.

Not bad coming off major spinal surgery.

Boy

Juniors
I was wondering where Whitchurch was and why they didn't bring him up instead of kahu

Latest posts