What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 Vs Roosters ANZAC DAY GAME

Rocket Rod

Juniors
FFS we miss 2 goals we lose 4 points.

We let in 3 very soft tries and gift them a minimum of 12 points but due to them scoring closer to the posts we magnify that to 18 points.

In your logic if we are 4 behind with a penalty in their red zone and the whistle has blown you'd want to kick a goal because you value a goal more than a try.

You try to rationalise the final score as being only a points differential without giving any thought to what happened during the game.

If we kicked 9 penalties out of 10 shots for 18 points and the opposition scored 5 tries and no conversions for 20 points you would still be bagging our goal kicker.

EDIT: You'd even bag him if the one we missed was 50 out, into the breeze from the sideline and hit the cross bar and upright and bounced back.
Settle down tiger
I’m just stating facts
Yes they did score soft tries
The defence is definitely a work in progress
We scored 5 tries and should’ve won on merit
I’m not a fanatic on goalkickers yet they do win games
Remember Hasim, Halligan,Sowie, etc
Today Cleary, Croker,Garrick, Reynolds and many many more would’ve kicked at least one of those when pressure is on
That’s what they get the big bucks for
Even Duges kicked a clutch goal in the semi and he was a shit kicker.
Too many games now Lomax could’ve been a hero but it’s just not in him.
I’d love for him to prove me wrong one day
Uncle Wayne used to get criticism when he coached us for taking the two yet how many tight games did we win with him
HEAPS
I repeat good goalkickers win games

Rocket Rod

Juniors
To OT
Re your para in comment where if 9 goals out of 10 shots are converted and still lose by 2 I would still blame the kicker.
I remember as a kid I went to a game StG v Sth Syd and tries were then worth 3 points only.
Well we scored 5 tries to their 2 and lost 18/17
They scored 6 goals to 1
Thanks Mr Eric Simms
Great goalkicker he was kicking them from halfway and he won them the game

rasaint

Juniors
My point with Lomax is IMO he only makes the team on goalkicking. Nothing else and on big $$$ long term. Otherwise, makes no impact. Lacks dash and doesn’t make breaks. When he sprints he seems to be on a treadmill. Occasionally catches a good high ball, pokes his head threw in a return carry or flicks a ball. I don’t ‘hate’ the guy, anyone making NRL and scoring tries, deserves credit.Yet I could name many current NRL centres with greater playing ability than Zac. For example, who on this forum would pick Zac over Garrick if there was a choice?

teza

Juniors
Well I thought I would start this round, we have heaps of time before the game and a lot happening as well with our coach. The way I see it regardless of our last efforts, if we cant get up for this game and really show some pride for the jumper and club , also our past players, (St George and Steelers) then we are truly a lost cause for the rest of the season.

Old Timer

Coach
My point with Lomax is IMO he only makes the team on goalkicking. Nothing else and on big $$$ long term. Otherwise, makes no impact. Lacks dash and doesn’t make breaks. When he sprints he seems to be on a treadmill. Occasionally catches a good high ball, pokes his head threw in a return carry or flicks a ball. I don’t ‘hate’ the guy, anyone making NRL and scoring tries, deserves credit.Yet I could name many current NRL centres with greater playing ability than Zac. For example, who on this forum would pick Zac over Garrick if there was a choice?
So in your world good goal kickers can win you games but can they also lose you games is that correct?

Therefore blokes missing tackles and letting the opposition stroll over under the posts have no case to answer it is all on the goal kicker who missed from the touch line even though that 1st missed goal was way before all the missed tackles?

You reckon you don't hate him but you obviously like sticking the boot in maybe you too were a great 2nd grade centre?

By the way Garrick plays for Manly so your selection comment is irrelevant but by all means tell me who is the standout reserve grader to replace Lomax and take over the kicking duties?

To OT
Re your para in comment where if 9 goals out of 10 shots are converted and still lose by 2 I would still blame the kicker.
I remember as a kid I went to a game StG v Sth Syd and tries were then worth 3 points only.
Well we scored 5 tries to their 2 and lost 18/17
They scored 6 goals to 1
Thanks Mr Eric Simms
Great goalkicker he was kicking them from halfway and he won them the game
It was a pre-season game, remember it well.

teza

Juniors
Zac Lomax's football has gone backwards this year. He does lots of hit-ups, mostly ineffective. and rarely makes a break. However, his defence is still good which would keep in Hook's good books!
His goalkicking percentage has fallen dramatically- one out of two from the sideline would have converted a loss into a win against the Roosters.
Considered for Origin a couple of years ago but now way short of that form.
Jaiden Sullivan still getting a raw deal- he'll be another goodun we'll lose.

Parko1310

Juniors
Zac Lomax's football has gone backwards this year. He does lots of hit-ups, mostly ineffective. and rarely makes a break. However, his defence is still good which would keep in Hook's good books!
His goalkicking percentage has fallen dramatically- one out of two from the sideline would have converted a loss into a win against the Roosters.
He is far from a good defender I'm not sure where that idea comes from. Gets caught in field, up past the ball or planting his feet constantly. If he gets hold of them, he'll usually make the tackle because he's strong, but that's not what a good defender is.

Kolum Kid

Juniors
So in your world good goal kickers can win you games but can they also lose you games is that correct?

Therefore blokes missing tackles and letting the opposition stroll over under the posts have no case to answer it is all on the goal kicker who missed from the touch line even though that 1st missed goal was way before all the missed tackles?

You reckon you don't hate him but you obviously like sticking the boot in maybe you too were a great 2nd grade centre?

By the way Garrick plays for Manly so your selection comment is irrelevant but by all means tell me who is the standout reserve grader to replace Lomax and take over the kicking duties?
Sure our defence is woeful at times but we are managing to be in positions to win games. You still need to score points

In my world theres 4 ways to score points.
1. Try 4
2. Conversion 2
3. Field goal 1or 2
4. Penalty 2

We are weak in areas 2,3 and 4. Zac missing kicks and Ben not able to come up with the miracle option 3.

Both of these are costing us games we should be winning in IMHO

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Chooks were up 26-6. Saints were throwing nothing at them up until then. They simply put the cue in the rack and Saints scored some tries on the back of Sloan as nothing else was happening just hit ups and a Hunt bomb. That 1st half was scary as to how easy the Chooks scored their tries and if they went on with it, the score could have been much worse.

Radley was sin binned for nothing and Saints could not even capitalise. It was more a matter of the Roosters nearly losing the game than the Saints nearly winning it.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Thought Lomax had a good game and can't expect be 100% if some are from out wide.

The two tries up the middle cost us big time, they don't score them we win.

If Hook picks Amone, it's all up to Hunt again, he can't do every game. Bud another kicking option but he's not being picked.

I thought Liddle was still being managed. Not the case and another safe pick by Hook, again a loss.

Slone was on fire, JDB tackled everything and Bird is Bird, smashed everyone but made a few mistakes.

Can't question the players yesterday, they gave their all and if Slone scores we win.

Parko1310

Juniors
Chooks were up 26-6. Saints were throwing nothing at them up until then. They simply put the cue in the rack and Saints scored some tries on the back of Sloan as nothing else was happening just hit ups and a Hunt bomb. That 1st half was scary as to how easy the Chooks scored their tries and if they went on with it, the score could have been much worse.

Radley was sin binned for nothing and Saints could not even capitalise. It was more a matter of the Roosters nearly losing the game than the Saints nearly winning it.
To some extent, the roosters took the foot off the throat, but I don't really agree overall with that sentiment. The game changed when Liddle came on, surprise, surprise we score three in quick succession. His ability to capitalise on even a slightly quicker than average play the ball got us running at the roosters whilst they were back pedalling. Sloan then capitalised on a retreating defensive line, as did Suli. We were able to hold the ball and dominate possession after that. Once the sin bin happened, for some reason, we decided to play dumb footy again. Passing into half-gaps that weren't really there and making errors on the back of being under pressure from defenders. To add to that, when the roosters made errors whilst they were a man down we helped them out by not packing the scrum quickly, but rather dawdling around and running the clock down for them. Just stupid footy in that period killed us off.

rasaint

Juniors
Hi OT, please no straw man arguments about being mixed up about Zac Lomax and goal kicking. I do enjoy considering your posts.

I was at Kogarah when Zac played his first few minutes of NRL at the end of a game ( can’t remember 2017? who we played but I’m sure we were beaten on the day). I watched Zac scurry across attempting to save last try and I still remember thinking ‘so this is Zac Lomax I’ve been reading about erh he looks a bit slow to me’.

Zac is basically unremarkable in general play. Of course, he has a degree of ability and produced some good plays in the NRL over the years. He is a good goal kicker when in kicking form. He was given a 6 year big $$$ deal reports that its now around $700 a year As the cap has risen. IMO a poor deal for the club If that amount of $$$ is correct.

I agree he is not the sole reason for our recent defeats just an element of these but an element taking up significant cap $$$.

Centre is such an important attacking position. I ( and I’m sure you want) a fast powerful tackle breaker. I used Garrick as a hypothetical comparison of a fast hard running back who had not played SOE ( like Zac) and also a good goalkicker. Of course, Garrick played centre in reserve grade for us before going to Manly.

Anyway, we were probably spoiled for speed and power in 2010. Gasnier, Cooper, Boyd, Morris…those were the days.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Already whispers of discontent in Bud camp at not being able to make it back into a losing first grade squad… week in and week out. He’ll definitely be mulling over his options with Raiders now also looking for a halves player. This is de ja vu from last season… nothing seems to change

I see a lot of people are copping flack over what theyre saying about Lomax. To keep it simple my view is this- you need to score points right across the park, and you need to defend them across the park as well. Our defence let us down badly in the first half, and thats why we ended up where we did. I dont blame Lomax missing goals as to why we lost. However this is a professional NRL team and to keep a kicker who is running at 62% still kicking is inexcusable. I dont care who kicks but that rate wont win you tight games as we know. Id have every team player doing kicking trials until we have at least 3 players capable. This is a professional unit and no excuse will wash. We lost because of team lack of effort in the first half. But you need to take points when you can get them-as the Roosters showed us-one shot at field goal and they nailed it. Until we can perform at that level we arent going to compete. I believe we have the team to win this comp, but surely we need to perform at a more professional level. Getting goals when given the chance is part of that professionalism

Crush

Coach
Last three losses.
Tries scored
Dragons 5 Roosters 4
Dragons 3 Raiders 3
Dragons 3 Titans 3
Anyone saying we don’t have a problem with our goal kicker of late isn’t watching.
Lomax is helping decide Hooks fate, interesting.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Last three losses.
Tries scored
Dragons 5 Roosters 4
Dragons 3 Raiders 3
Dragons 3 Titans 3
Anyone saying we don’t have a problem with our goal kicker of late isn’t watching.
Lomax is helping decide Hooks fate, interesting.
And the funny thing is goalkickers have an age to line up their kick. Position the ball, throw some grass in the air see which way wind is blowing, bend over and move it a centimetre either way, stand up over the ball with foot on one side, look up and down and talk to yourself, step back a few metres and curve your run to suit the side you’re kicking from, move forward and kick the ball. Oops missed