What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs The Silvertails (Manly)

hindy111

Post Whore
He is playing like shit mate something big will have to change for that to happen.

If they are being serious Jack is 18th man at best, maybe centre. If Teddy is fit you've got to fit Turbo, Latrell, Pap in somewhere as they are actually in great form. NSW has way to many good players 1-7 for Fittler to pick an out of form Wighton after a piss poor loss last series, picking wighton over Luai or Walker right now would just be insane IMO.

He will have 3 or 4 games to improve. But Canberra not winning isn't all his fault. The sides been poor in general. I agree he isn't the best fit for Nathan. But with Latrel,Turbo,Teddy in the side all they need to do is feed them the ball.

WestyLife

First Grade
Nathan's kicking and our total advantage over them in the forwards will take him out of the game. He'll have a moment here and there but it won't be enough

This is the big difference. The tigers fell off easy two on one tackles somehow and sat back waiting for him. Panthers defence has a little more, how do you say it...... commitment.

Original Name

Juniors
Siebold does another good video. This time on Tom Turbo.

https://www.nrl.com/tv/shows/game-plan/2021/what-makes-turbo-so-special/

Panthers will have to be on their game this week to keep him quiet.
He brought up a previous video of how much he follows the ball in defence. More than any other FB he claimed. It we shift the ball around more than other team so that'll take a lot of juice out of him. Still an absolutely awesome player one I've always had confidence in is always a walk in for NSW and Australia throughout all his injuries but it's like how the Sharks made Cam Smith make over 60 tackles in the gf to limit him. No matter how great a player there is there's only so much you can do when you've already done that much work.

snickers007

Juniors
He brought up a previous video of how much he follows the ball in defence. More than any other FB he claimed. It we shift the ball around more than other team so that'll take a lot of juice out of him. Still an absolutely awesome player one I've always had confidence in is always a walk in for NSW and Australia throughout all his injuries but it's like how the Sharks made Cam Smith make over 60 tackles in the gf to limit him. No matter how great a player there is there's only so much you can do when you've already done that much work.

I wouldn't be surprised if we kick early in our sets, try to isolate him at the back, find the grass, and burn him out on kick returns. Also gives the added benefit of forcing the wingers back early, which gives us an overlap for our shifts.

Girds89

Bench
I think this will be our toughest test of the season yet.

We haven't been playing our best the last few weeks.

Manly are on a roll and there's no doubt turbo is a serious threat. He can tear any team apart single handedly.

Des will have manly fired up after we embarrassed them at home early this year.

We will have to be at our best and have a game plan to shut down turbo.

Hopefully ivan has sorted out his bench rotation this week. Last 2-3 weeks his rotations have been shocking.

Original Name

Juniors
I wouldn't be surprised if we kick early in our sets, try to isolate him at the back, find the grass, and burn him out on kick returns. Also gives the added benefit of forcing the wingers back early, which gives us an overlap for our shifts.
Taking a lot of the the kick returns is normal for Turbo. Increasing the amount of kicks he gets to by 20%-25% wouldn't make much of a difference in regard to his stamina. They're got a big pack I think we'd kick early to tire their two big props out.

Like say he runs back 15 metres to get a kick that went behind him runs 5 metres before passing it to his winger. It isn't a blip in radar of an FB in regards to the metres they usually run. But if we shift it edge to edge once that's about 40 he has to run. We do it twice in a set that's about 80 metres+ with no time to rest. We do that most sets it's going to have an effect.

Last edited:

kinghippo

Juniors
Taking a lot of the the kick returns is normal for Turbo. Increasing the amount of kicks he gets to by 20%-25% wouldn't make much of a difference in regard to his stamina. They're got a big pack I think we'd kick early to tire their two big props out.

Like say he runs back 15 metres to get a kick that went behind him runs 5 metres before passing it to his winger. It isn't a blip in radar of an FB in regards to the metres they usually run. But if we shift it edge to edge once that's about 40 he has to run. We do it twice in a set that's about 80 metres+ with no time to rest. We do that most sets it's going to have an effect.
Last game I thought Manly looked better when their bench forwards came on. They are big boys and caused us a few problems. The difference this time is their starting props have found form.
They are a very big pack, the interesting part for me is if we will be able to handle them. The last few big packs we have come up against, like Brisbane, really pushed us.

Last edited:

Original Name

Juniors
Last game I thought Manly looked better when their bench forwards came on. They are big boys and caused us a few problems. The difference this time is their starting props have found form.
They are a very big pack, the interesting part for me is if we will be able to handle them. The last few big packs we have come up against, like Brisbane, really pushed is.
They're big but we handled the Storm's big pack well by kicking long and early.

WestyLife

First Grade
They are a very big pack, the interesting part for me is if we will be able to handle them. The last few big packs we have come up against, like Brisbane, really pushed is.

Nothing a prop hates more than having to turn around and run 60 metres to get back onside. Playing field position and a good kick chase is how you beat them.

kinghippo

Juniors
They're big but we handled the Storm's big pack well by kicking long and early.
I agree and I think we will handle them again, our defence is fantastic. I just remember the patch before half time against manly as the first time we had gone backwards for ages.
I think the forward pack may remember it too, and will fire up.

Abacus

Juniors
Just my impression, but I thought our pack phoned it in a bit against Brisbane, looking for an easier game. Kevvy & the Broncos pack had other ideas and they were able to pepper To'o as a result. From memory, no other team has been able to make those sorts of metres per set against Penrith.

I'm expecting the pack to take the lesson from that game and give it to the Manly pack.

Fangs

Coach
Just my impression, but I thought our pack phoned it in a bit against Brisbane, looking for an easier game. Kevvy & the Broncos pack had other ideas and they were able to pepper To'o as a result. From memory, no other team has been able to make those sorts of metres per set against Penrith.

I'm expecting the pack to take the lesson from that game and give it to the Manly pack.

Got our pants pulled down that night. The scoreboard suggests otherwise but we got pumped in the middle.

MugaB

Coach

Knowing des, he is over calculating as we speak regarding this, we'll need for burton to kick some monsters from centre on the 3rd or 4th, and realy f**kn suprise them, whilst peppering luai kicks and of course nathans signature flat bombs or 40/20s

John Hamblin

Juniors
Knowing des, he is over calculating as we speak regarding this, we'll need for burton to kick some monsters from centre on the 3rd or 4th, and realy f**kn suprise them, whilst peppering luai kicks and of course nathans signature flat bombs or 40/20s

I noticed Nathan tackled the danger man Ponga a number of times last week. I don1t think it was a coincidence. Interesting to see what happens this week with Turbo. We will revert to our tried and tested formula of limiting their metres and working them over in the middle of the park.

Latest posts