What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 - Rabbitohs vs Broncos: Thursday 5th May 7:50pm @Accor Stadium

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Do you have info?
I wish. I know Peoples has been playing well and Mansour hasn't been playing very well so its more just wishful thinking. JD is the coach though so if he thinks Mansour will come good then maybe he will. With Haas and Capewell out we really need him to be taking hit ups through the middle when our forwards need a break.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Mate Souths haven't even hit their best form yet and youre already writing us off. Its such a negative standpoint when most of the games we're losing because we're not holding onto the ball. We are still a good side with a new spine. Its nice not to see us so reliant on repeat sets and playing some creative footy. Reynolds had some good points about his playstyle but there were also some negatives which were definitely his lack of a running game and his lack of creativity. He played very structured footy which was a result of Michael Maguire coaching.

Genuine question here. Where are you seeing people calling Reynolds greedy? If anything all I've seen is Souths supporters complaining about how we let him go?

Also that last part is bullshit. Youre kidding yourself if you think Reynolds is going to take a paycut in one of his final contracts.

I also dont know where you're getting your info from because this article says he was offered a 2 year deal.

Mate this is a re building year by letting Reyno go our window has closed early for mine. We are not a threat for the premiership this year and we let Gagai go as well we lost Wayne. Against good defensive sides mate you need to build pressure and be patient. Also our kicking game is a big issue it’s one of the poorest I’ve seen compared to other teams and last tackle options. Cody was able to play more free with Reyno I feel as Reyno created the space now that doesn’t seem to be happening. Cody and Ilias don’t seem to be playing both sides either like last year it seems JD coaching has us going away from that.

On other Souths sites and social media etc mate.... I have seen plenty say this and question where all his money went he got from over the years with us.

I think he would’ve taken a cut mate if we guaranteed him 2 years. What the club offered was a one year or a one year deal in the clubs favour which is still a one year deal it was never in Reyno favour. Also if you read the news today from Fox League I think Reyno says they wouldn’t budge off the guaranteed one year and says even if he stayed he’d have had to move on in 2023 anyway due to our cap. So why if you were Reyno would you extend one year and risk getting injured and then severely lowering your market value or ability to get more than a one year deal elsewhere if you had to leave anyway after 2022?

handyman2190

Bench
I wish. I know Peoples has been playing well and Mansour hasn't been playing very well so its more just wishful thinking. JD is the coach though so if he thinks Mansour will come good then maybe he will. With Haas and Capewell out we really need him to be taking hit ups through the middle when our forwards need a break.
All i know is that their wingers and centres will have a field day if we dont mark up,oates always pounds us,id like us to pound them and reynolds,show him what hes lost,lol

Last edited:

handyman2190

Bench
Mate this is a re building year by letting Reyno go our window has closed early for mine. We are not a threat for the premiership this year and we let Gagai go as well we lost Wayne. Against good defensive sides mate you need to build pressure and be patient. Also our kicking game is a big issue it’s one of the poorest I’ve seen compared to other teams and last tackle options. Cody was able to play more free with Reyno I feel as Reyno created the space now that doesn’t seem to be happening. Cody and Ilias don’t seem to be playing both sides either like last year it seems JD coaching has us going away from that.

On other Souths sites and social media etc mate.... I have seen plenty say this and question where all his money went he got from over the years with us.

I think he would’ve taken a cut mate if we guaranteed him 2 years. What the club offered was a one year or a one year deal in the clubs favour which is still a one year deal it was never in Reyno favour. Also if you read the news today from Fox League I think Reyno says they wouldn’t budge off the guaranteed one year and says even if he stayed he’d have had to move on in 2023 anyway due to our cap. So why if you were Reyno would you extend one year and risk getting injured and then severely lowering your market value or ability to get more than a one year deal elsewhere if you had to leave anyway after 2022?
Our other problem was lochi is 22 i think we would have lost him,im not fussed at losing reynolds,my beef is losing gagai.

Rabbits20

Immortal
My match preview

Well here we are guys round 9 and we meet Brisbane again. Last time we met Brisbane was away in round 1 as we know and we went down 11-4 it was a dour contest very scrappy and we got out enthused by Brisbane and just made too many errors. It’s now time for us to get one back on them. I believe we are an improved side since then as well. Being back at Accor Stadium as well this Thursday Night will be good hopefully plenty of Red and Green in the stands.

Now the big talking point is we come up against Adam Reynolds our first time coming up against him. We all know what he will bring and he will have a point to prove so we need to be right on our game putting kick pressure on him and not giving him too much time. He will have a big point to prove as well but so do we it’s a massive game both teams being 4 and 4. It’ll all be business as usual I think then after the game will be a time for us to stay behind when Reyno comes over which I think he will as we didn’t get to say goodbye to him. We wish Reyno nothing but the best but not this week playing us!

Looking at team news for us Tass keeps his spot in the side which is great to see. It was a good starting point for him last week. It certainly won’t be easy though coming up against Staggs will be a big challenge but I have faith Tass can do the job. Then we get Sele and Knight back on the bench too which will be good. I’m not a fan of having Paulo on the bench thought it might be Milne but there could be some late changes that wouldn’t surprise me.

For Brisbane they have 2 big outs in Haas and Capewell but they still have a solid team plenty of danger in Staggs, Farnworth, Cobbo, Reyno, Carrigan, Riki etc…

The keys to the game for us will be completing highly. Even though we completed at 80percent last week we had 14 errors it’s just too many. I think we are up the top of the list for most errors in the comp. We can’t be doing that this week and giving Brisbane lots of good ball as they have very strong outside backs who can wreak havoc when given the field position plus time and space. So yeah we must hold onto the ball and match them in the middle. In fact on paper I think we have the better pack. In round 1 their pack outplayed us but if we can outplay them in the middle grind it’ll go along way towards winning the match. In attack we must be patient and not force passes. We need to build pressure. The last couple of weeks we have not really put in grubbers to get repeat sets or on the last have kicked it straight down the oppositions throat, this is something that we must get better at. Right now we sit 6th but a loss can easily see us outside the top 8 so we really need to go 5 and 4.

Being a Thursday Night it’s hard for families and those who have work the next day but hopefully we can get around 12-13k out there it deserves it.

Cometh Thursday Night:

Not long now til the players come onto the playing field. Lets make sure everyone here and everyone watching at home on Ch 9 and FOX know that this is a South Sydney home game. Lets make as much noise as we can and do everything to help get the boys those 2 vital competition points tonight.

Ok as we look down the tunnel here at Accor Stadium we can see the boys from Brisbane starting to make their way down the tunnel… Rabbitohs Members and Rabbitohs Supporters please give a warm South Sydney welcome to the Brisbane Broncos…

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1…

OK RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND RABBITOHS SUPPORTERS ITS TIME TO GET ON YOUR FFEEETTTTTT… SHOW THE COLOURS CLAP YOUR HANDS STAMP YOUR FEET AND SCREAM YOUR LUNGS OUT HERE THEY COME YOUR South Sydney RRRRAAABBBBIIITTTOOOHHHSSSSS!!!

LETS GO RABBITOHS

My tip: Souths by 10.

callmack1

Staff member
Hear from JD ahead of our Round 9 Clash: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/05/04/hear-from-jd-ahead-of-our-round-nine-clash/

Captain's Run Gallery Round 9: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/05/04/captains-run-gallery-round-nine/

Rabbitohs 19-Man Squad For Round 9: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/05/04/rabbitohs-19-man-squad-for-round-nine/

A real shame that Hame is out but it's going to be cool to see Peoples make his debut tomorrow!! Really hoping Tom will be good to go or our pack starts to look a little weaker.

callmack1

Staff member
Righteo here we are! It's come around super quick but game day is here once again!!! And what an occasion it will be as we take on the Broncos back on our home turf at Accor in what should be a fair battle tonight. This game is big for the the result, because if we win we'll stay well in touch with the top four and if we lose we could be out of the eight, but it's also big because we're playing the Broncos. Brisbane have become a really fierce rival for us in recent times due to the whole coaching swap drama a few years ago. That and the media circus that followed, created some real bad blood between the two clubs which I'm sure still lingers around today. There is always plenty of feeling in our games, tonight will be no different. It's always a bumper clash.

However, tonight is made that much more significant because we're going up against one of our favourite sons, Adam Reynolds. Tonight will be the first time we've played against him and it will be a strange feeling in all honesty. However, we cannot let the emotion be a distraction. He is now the enemy and I hope we smash him!

Playing the Broncos is no longer an 'easy win,' they're a different team this year that's for sure. They have been a little up and down with their results but when they're on, on their day they can beat anyone. They proved that against the Sharks last week and us in Round 1. We don't want that happening again so we need to be on. Not going to be easy to limit the likes of Staggs, Farnworth, Reynolds and Carrigan but we have to do a job on all those blokes if we want to get the result, particularly Staggs and Reynolds for mine. They have a few players out but that doesn't mean we should take them anymore lightly. Roll through the middle and build our game off that.

For us, once again it really is focusing our ourselves and controlling what we can do. I know that's one of Rugby League's biggest cliche's but it is so true. We need a big improvement on last week because we won't have the luxury of playing 12 men for 70 minutes and the Broncos are going to be on. So many areas of our game need to be better but it's defence in particular that needs improving. It hasn't been good enough these past few weeks and Brisbane have some very good outside backs so we gotta be better there. I also want to see us continue to complete at 80% or higher. No good doing it for one game, you've got to do it consistently. And above all else, there should be no complacency at all from our boys tonight. None at all.

Fire up all!!! It's game day and it should be a cracker tonight in front of our home fans! Must win, playing against a former club legend, it's all on the line tonight in this one. Let's get behind the boys all the way!!!! Lesssshgoooo!!!

Hellray

Juniors
Moale came in for Sele when squad dropped to 19. My guess Peoples will come in for Burgess if talk is correct and his back is giving him issues?

southsport

First Grade
Moale came in for Sele when squad dropped to 19. My guess Peoples will come in for Burgess if talk is correct and his back is giving him issues?
Today's line-up keeps changing, I don't think we'll know for sure until just before kick-off.