What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 - Rabbitohs vs Broncos: Thursday 5th May 7:50pm @Accor Stadium

Runrabbit14

Juniors
This is not over yet.
The club also said they wanted to keep Adam Reynolds.
How did that turn out?
Yep, Well Mark Geyer has unloaded after last nights game and I tend to agree with his comments.

Might be time for Cannon-Brookes to get his feet under the desk and shake things up in the “front office”…

big hit!

Bench
I thought the fellas looked alright in goodball for a change when they had their opportunities.

But that's just it. When they had their opportunities. This game played out just like most of the others this season. Too many dropped balls, having to turn around and defend again and again, putting unnecessary pressure on themselves, and then having to chase the game and push plays that aren't there. There is no respect for the football at the moment.

The Broncos had a plan. Kick high to Taafe. They have tall wingers in Oates and Cobbo. It's what teams were trying to do to Taafe in the finals last season. He weathered them then. He had an ordinary time last night. The Souths entire back 3 is fairly small in comparison to other teams. Only Paulo has height but he's inconsistent and his confidence is down too.

It says something when the best player on the park for Souths was probably the bloke who isn't even top 30 or development. He's a part-timer. He didn't drop a ball, he didn't give away a penalty, most average run metres, he tackled what came at him (mostly).

The players need to look at themselves and get their head out of the clouds thinking it will just happen because they're playing for South Sydney and they made a GF last year.

handyman2190

Bench
They may be correct re Ilias. HOWEVER he must be given a proper chance. For that to happen its on Demetriou and the Coaching staff. Make Ilias more comfortable by assigning him a specific simple role. At present its chaotic and panicky players seen unsure about the passing scheme and positional play. Just look at the FG debacle against Balmain that was gifted and they stuffed up. Also Ilias may be harming Walker's perfromance BUT there are many instances where Walker has spilled the rock when the team could have scored or been dangerous or he has turned in poor kicks. That's NOT on Ilais. I would give Ilias more time BUT DEFINE HIS ROLE in simple terms. Its not difficult and he needs to be told to just stick to whatever game plan he has been assigned.
Ilias has been fed to the lions,the kid didnt even get a season to develop in reserves, after 2 years of covid,we f**ked up,he may come good but it will take time

WepnutV

Juniors
Whether we blame this guy or that we have to acknowledge that Walker is one of the NRL elite players has been for some time yet his form has been weak. No leadership at all.
OK we understand that Tass/Milne et al are not regular starters. BUT does that explain Walker's fumbled gift against Maguire weeks ago with an open field ahead of him? It would have changed the outcome almost certainly! Does it also explain a similar fumble tonight when he had room to pass or run and it would have created big problems for Brisbane? Or how about his weak grubber kicks, semi-high punts and poor handling when in the red zone? Outside players there to blame too?
To me Walker wanted to be C. He was not given that and its entirely on Demetriou. Demetriou has read it wrong and now the squad is likely doomed. Murray would have not sulked had Walker been chosen but not the other way around. Walker is simply NOT focused and he is playing sans his usual intensity.
Walker is one of the most over rated players in the comp. His form has nothing to do with him haveing the C next to his name. Truth is Reyno has made him look good over the last 6 or 7 years. Walker would be easy to replace. It might be a couple decades or longer to find reynos replacement.

big hit!

Bench
Anyone know what was wrong with Moale last night? Only 16 minutes. Paulo zero minutes.

Perhaps a half utility like Hawkins can be the #14. I don't understand what an OB on the rotation offers in NRL football.

Rabbits20

Immortal
And this is why the club were correct not to give Cody the C. Great player but when things go bad he isn't a leader, he's a liability. Knowing that we were entering this transition period, Cody is the one we should've let go instead of Reynolds. Leadership is much, much more important when rebuilding than individual talent.
Murray playing 80mins every week is burning out too he is so tired. There is not much talk from him out on the field either I’m not sure he’s ready to captain yet.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Richo was a big part of the problem, he's the one that signed Cook on $900k long term.
We have bigger issues than Cook he’s made the most tackles of anyone in the comp. He ran the ball last night but had no support. And in attack Cody and Lachy went missing hence Cookie had to throw some crash balls. I agree he’s not worth 900k though.

southsport

First Grade
We have bigger issues than Cook he’s made the most tackles of anyone in the comp. He ran the ball last night but had no support. And in attack Cody and Lachy went missing hence Cookie had to throw some crash balls. I agree he’s not worth 900k though.
You're dreamin, Lachy was one of our best in a side that kept dropping the ball.

Rabbits20

Immortal
You're dreamin, Lachy was one of our best in a side that kept dropping the ball.
Well as I’ve said his kicking game must improve dramatically and he has to bark at the team and direct the team around that’s the job of a 7. Need massive work in this area. Need to improve on the timing of his passes and when to run, play short and when to throw the long pass he’s all muddled in regards to this currently. I’m not convinced he’s our long term 7.

I thought he didn’t have a good game last night.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Well as I’ve said his kicking game must improve dramatically and he has to bark at the team and direct the team around that’s the job of a 7. Need massive work in this area. Need to improve on the timing of his passes and when to run, play short and when to throw the long pass he’s all muddled in regards to this currently. I’m not convinced he’s our long term 7.

I thought he didn’t have a good game last night.
Our kicking game needs a MASSIVE improvement. We are unable to create or sustain any pressure on the opposition by creating repeat sets off the back of a good kicking game.
Consequently we are playing from middle of the park, until we drop the ball. Then its us that is under pressure

Rabbits20

Immortal
Our kicking game needs a MASSIVE improvement. We are unable to create or sustain any pressure on the opposition by creating repeat sets off the back of a good kicking game.
Consequently we are playing from middle of the park, until we drop the ball. Then its us that is under pressure
I been saying this on others forums but I just get told off. Where criticism is warranted I’ll give it does not mean I don’t love Souths though I’ll always love Souths.

Rabbit57

Juniors
Anyone know what was wrong with Moale last night? Only 16 minutes. Paulo zero minutes.

Perhaps a half utility like Hawkins can be the #14. I don't understand what an OB on the rotation offers in NRL football.
We only had 3 genuine front rowers in rotation and they did a combined 73 minutes. Payne Haas when he is playing does that on his own. If we are going to win the arm wrestle we need front rowers on the field getting over the advantage line.