What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs. Souths @Accor

YoungPanther

Juniors
Only thing I enjoyed was Turuva filling in at fullback. Don't get me wrong, we all love Dyl but his speed to the line was something we haven't really had. Maybe if he plays a bit of full back, offers something different to break teams down. Re Walsh/Ponga. Not often, just as a bit of a surprise.

age.s

First Grade
Tago will get some time off probably but I think that was just unluckly nothing intentional. The criticism of him is way over the top imo. He started the year in excellent form. Since the roosters game the whole teams form has gone backwards.
Spot on. He was average last night (some good moments, some poor ones) but he's leading or close to the top of the league for linebreaks, you don't get anywhere near that stat if you're doing nothing right. Even last night, the one moment he got space to wind up he very nearly punched through the line with nothing really on. His season has been rocks and diamonds more than it has a catastrophe.

The critics are right in pointing out he has slumped recently though. I wouldn't have dropped him, but a few enforced weeks off will probably end up being good for him.

age.s

First Grade
You say their roster is average.

We were behind 12-0

When their halfback went off it was 12all

18-12 when their fullback went off.

So there is no guarantee we win IF those guys don't go off. That is what those of us critical of the side are looking at
Souths have had good moments in games this year. Scored 3 tries in quick succession against Melbourne last week too. We were never losing to them but I'd say putting 40-0 on them from thay point was now better than par.

Sime_11

Juniors
Souths will win next week - they just been destroyed (on the scoreboard) in consecutive weeks.

Souths ill discipline ensured they got pumped last night - there was a lot of stupid errors and penalties they gave away (Burgess pinged twice for stripping in about 10-15 min period - absolutely moronic)

can i say im losing faith in Taylan as a Centre? cant help but feel that he's regressing in that position - that non pass to To'o and slipping over is unforgivable - what if he does that in a high stakes game - that could cost us a game

soc123_au

Staff member
Spot on. He was average last night (some good moments, some poor ones) but he's leading or close to the top of the league for linebreaks, you don't get anywhere near that stat if you're doing nothing right. Even last night, the one moment he got space to wind up he very nearly punched through the line with nothing really on. His season has been rocks and diamonds more than it has a catastrophe.

The critics are right in pointing out he has slumped recently though. I wouldn't have dropped him, but a few enforced weeks off will probably end up being good for him.
For me it's his defense. In attack he is a bit like Critta where he can spend 70 minutes looking like he isn't there and then pull a few good runs and a linebreak from nowhere., pretty much what you get with a center.

The D is a shambles though. Rushing up and missing, arm grabbing and so on. His effort on Murray in the last play of the game was the best bit of D we have seen from him in a while, and the effort on Wighton on the obstruction try was horrible. We were lucky the lead runner was clueless and ran into Schnieder, but Tago should have stopped Wighton anyway. You could argue that some of his reads aren't all on him, but how you go into contact 100% is.

Girds89

Bench
Think we were always going over the top of them. Score line flattered us but the Taylan may try shows where they are at attitude and fitness wise.

Anyway we’re not playing well, nowhere near our best since the roosters game but we are picking up wins, tbh I see plenty of positives in that. Key players missing most weeks, well below our best most weeks and have only dropped two games.

Thats how i see it.

Other than yeo, edwards and to an extent too and kenny, i dont think anyone has been that good this year.

We are just doing enough to get the wins.

Our discipline and mistakes is really poor this year..

Certain players have definitely been underwhelming.

But its been an extremely tough start to the year.. weve probably had the hardest run off any club.

With players missing every week. So some slack is needed.

Frankus

Juniors
Thats how i see it.

Other than yeo, edwards and to an extent too and kenny, i dont think anyone has been that good this year.

We are just doing enough to get the wins.

Our discipline and mistakes is really poor this year..

Certain players have definitely been underwhelming.

But its been an extremely tough start to the year.. weve probably had the hardest run off any club.

With players missing every week. So some slack is needed.
I would argue Souths have had as equally tough a draw. But yes we have had a tough run down on key troops for most of it, playing not as well as are capable, yet we are sitting pretty. We will lift and find another gear at the pointy end of the season I am sure.

John Hamblin

Juniors
We couldn't fly out of Townsville till Sunday night.
Direct Flights can be tricky to get out of there. This has been an issue in the past for visiting teams. The braindead NRL should have known that,and not scheduled a 5-day turnaround for any away teams the following week.

We were fortunate Souffs were garbage and lost the 2nd-string Fullback & Halfback by halftime.
That and the fact we had to do so much tackling last week goes some way to explaining why we were so flat this week. Yeo and Edwards are in career best form.

age.s

First Grade
For me it's his defense. In attack he is a bit like Critta where he can spend 70 minutes looking like he isn't there and then pull a few good runs and a linebreak from nowhere., pretty much what you get with a center.

The D is a shambles though. Rushing up and missing, arm grabbing and so on. His effort on Murray in the last play of the game was the best bit of D we have seen from him in a while, and the effort on Wighton on the obstruction try was horrible. We were lucky the lead runner was clueless and ran into Schnieder, but Tago should have stopped Wighton anyway. You could argue that some of his reads aren't all on him, but how you go into contact 100% is.
A bit harsh in bold. The good/great centres can do that, plenty of them just go through a game with little to no impact. Tago is a great player, albeit with things to work on.

But yeah, his defense hasn't been good enough. I suspect his injury has left him ginger/tentative with part of his body and changed his style as I don't remember the grabbing technique prior to late last year. Hopefully he uses the next couple of weeks to work on that.

MugaB

Coach
His inability to target Cook at fullback is a bit of a worry. Also needs to back himself to throw the big pass. Could see him holding back a few times
He already threw a big pass to turuva, of which sunia ended up scoring off (1st pen try)
The bomb in the 2nd half was something I missed too, I actually thought luai kicked it, after watching the replay it was schnieder, kick landed so shit that souffs wanted nothing to do with it, hence why we ran off with it, these are attacking plays that Nathan doesn't really come up with, nate generally is targeting someone or an area, not just plain off the cuff, roll of the dice stuff that we are used to seeing from luai, but these days all he does just seems to skip side to side like the knight chess piece, no kicks, no other option

MugaB

Coach
Bad discipline cost us plenty of resets and penalties. The biggest concern for me was that Schneider and Luia didn’t target Chee Kam in the Centres from the start, nor did they pepper Cook with bombs when he went to Fullback.

Thats the sort of game management Cleary brings to the team, target opponents weakness. Sure they are not playing that well at the moment, but winning is sure better than losing.
Chee kam is a utility and has played in the centres many times before at souths and at the tigers, it was always part of the planned team list, so he trained there during the disrupted week, not a shift during game play from the injuries, so that's not a realistic point of attack, and cook started as a fullback a very long time ago, so he would know where he needs to be, even if he is super rusty,
I feel the panthers stayed to their game plan instead of trying to expose their proposed potential weaknesses, as the bunnies shifted around many positions, my worry was when simple Jack went to 5/8th and Cody to half, they went up a gear, and got super dangerous, after half time they switched jack back, and just fell away again.... lol @souffs

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
I think Tago should go back to the left and partner May who should be on wing. Alamoti right centre with To'o who might see the ball again.
Hopefully that fixes those issues.

Up front is the main concern. They look flat and there isn't any impact of the bench. I'm not sure if Lisati is ready, I haven't seen any NSW cup this season. But Geyer can only do so much and I pray he gets better.

Our attack is wasted, nothing doing in the beginning of games. It feels like they just hit brick walls and waste all that energy.

Next season going to be interesting
SOOO, no more turuva this season then? You obviously didn't see those last tries, turuva went super saien

MugaB

Coach
The NRL is a club game, not a let's get a half a dozen really good players then cross our fingers and hope it all goes well.

The Panthers have consistently shown that good depth, in the key positions, is the key to success.

We draw the line in the sand and tell a player this is your worth in our system, hence why so many leave for the payday.

Souffs on the other hand have lost their way with the need to have so called superstars to make it happen. Injury and suspension to a few and it's curtains. Even when their on the field the egos take over and discipline goes out the window.

No excuses for a club with the same salary cap as every other club.
Agreed, but there is a lot of their main 17 on the sidelines or suspended, even jai arrow is playing busted, there was a shot of them all in the crowd, I reckon there's at least 6-7 out, throw in the 2 back options of FB ad HB too, they are busted even before we start with all the coaching drama too

Last edited:

Black Panther

Juniors
Chee kam is a utility and has played in the centres many times before at souths and at the tigers, it was always part of the planned team list, so he trained there during the disrupted week, not a shift during game play from the injuries, so that's not a realistic point of attack, and cook started as a fullback a very long time ago, so he would know where he needs to be, even if he is super rusty,
I feel the panthers stayed to their game plan instead of trying to expose their proposed potential weaknesses, as the bunnies shifted around many positions, my worry was when simple Jack went to 5/8th and Cody to half, they went up a gear, and got super dangerous, after half time they switched jack back, and just fell away again.... lol @souffs
So you’re telling me Chee Kam isn’t a weakness because he trained there? Penrith should’ve been burning him from the start.

MugaB

Coach
So you’re telling me Chee Kam isn’t a weakness because he trained there? Penrith should’ve been burning him from the start.
Again utility, he isn't some 2nd rower that's shifted there mid game, he is the equivalent to our jaemon salmon or now our Luke Garner , are you calling them defensive liabilities? They trained in those positions all week, Garner even said it to Joey after the game his interview

Pjf04b

Juniors
Agreed, but there is a lot of their main 17 on the sidelines or suspended, even jail arrow is playing busted, there was a shot of them all in the crowd, I reckon there's at least 6-7 out, throw in the 2 back options of FB ad HB too, they are busted even before we start with all the coaching drama too
They still had 6 SOO players out there.

MugaB

Coach
They still had 6 SOO players out there.
6 minus 17 is still a lot of missing star power, we could maybe survive during origin with 6 missing, but they couldn't

Fatrell, Tatola, AJ, Illias, Graham, Kennar, Milne(suspended)
A fair few guys there

Last edited:

Black Panther

Juniors
Again utility, he isn't some 2nd rower that's shifted there mid game, he is the equivalent to our jaemon salmon or now our Luke Garner , are you calling them defensive liabilities? They trained in those positions all week, Garner even said it to Joey after the game his interview
Exactly, Utility. A Second Rower who can play Centre. Very much like Garner. Lateral movement is a problem for them out wide, so yes they can be defensive liabilities. You think Chee Kam v May/Tago is an even matchup? You seem to think that because he trained there he isn’t. Whatever mate.