What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round Four Vs Titans Discussion

Munky

Coach
Absolutely pathetic today, not a single decent set by our boys the entire game.

The Titans side was about 50% players who are premier leaguers at best.

Wesser has been aweful all year in defence and produced another shocker this week. Dropped balls and terrible posititioning on the fifth tackle.

Frank Puletua and Rooney are probably the only two who can hold their heads up high.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Munky said:
Absolutely pathetic today, not a single decent set by our boys the entire game.

The Titans side was about 50% players who are premier leaguers at best.

Wesser has been aweful all year in defence and produced another shocker this week. Dropped balls and terrible posititioning on the fifth tackle.

Frank Puletua and Rooney are probably the only two who can hold their heads up high.

What about Pritchard, two awesome tries atleast put some respectability in the score. I was on that side of the field, the Tank was great to watch live in action. But yes most of the players were ordinary today, VERY ORDINARY.

mxlegend99

Referee
How the hell did we lose 3 tries while over the line?

Jennings, Puletua and Waterhouse all lost simple tries.

Pritchard and Rooney were our best for mine.

Caged Panther

First Grade
The other thing about wesser today was his complete and utter lack of urgency at times, come to think of it the old side was guilty of that. Priddis when BAILEY chased a kick through to score, any number of guys who stood and watched the ball on the ground after we'd charged it down.

Munky

Coach
Frank Puletua was our best by a mile.

Did the hard yards when the other players were bludging out on the wings.

thommo4pm

Coach
You guys were flat as simple as that.
Completely out-enthused.

I was at the game and the Titans were just simply hungry.
They talked all match, and moved off their line quickly.

The score line to be honest flattered Penrith.
I know there were a couple of missed chances for you blokes, but the Titans scramble defence was very good.
Puletua should have scored his try.
Game of missed chances, but the good sign for you Penrith fans is you are obviously fit enough to go for 80 minutes with the comebacks of the recent weeks.
Just have to get your heads on right for 80 minutes is all.

Big Mick

Referee
I think it wasn't THAT bad...we still had character to fight back.

Pritchard, Frank Puletua, Jennings and Rooney played well...Lewis and Gordon did their jobs.

Really think about it, we played the majority of the game without Waterhouse....and still came home with a wet sail...that tells me something.

But ball control was the key today.

Clinton deadset needs to get rid of the dropsies...and now. I understand he is defending a lot, but you need to hold onto the ball. Two tries came directly from mistakes by Clinton.

No urgency with the kicks...another problem.

All in all...ball control was the thing. Defence was solid...Attack was a bit flat until the last 20.

We also gotta think...this was our first afternoon game guys. There is a big difference in afternoon and night footy.

choc_soldier

Coach
As I said in the NRL thread, we were ordinary, that's all there was to it.

Towards the end, we did start showing more enterprise, but we were not going to engineer the great escape 2 weeks in a row.

murraymob

Coach
Does anyone know if gower is injured he is not taking the line on. He is running sideways then offloading. 20 minutes into the game people around me where saying is he out there

mxlegend99

Referee
I think considering how many times we crossed their line, and how poor our completion rate was, it really says a lot for how much we have improved.

We scored 4 tries, crossed 7 times only for Waterhouse, Jennings and Puletua to lose the ball.

All with a 57% completion rate. Our attack is better then it ever has been, and our defence is really solid for the most part. We have had poor completions the past 2 weeks, less possession and last week we got a win, this week we only just missed out.

We only need to fix ball security and we will be winning games. 3 bombed tries is a lot, and to still be within 2 points at the end is incredible. Last year when we played poorly, we lost by 20+ margins.

Dave Q

Coach
murraymob said:
Does anyone know if gower is injured he is not taking the line on. He is running sideways then offloading. 20 minutes into the game people around me where saying is he out there

When Gowie is injured he moves out wide in defence and avoids tackling.

When injured, in attack he will run at the line (and kick) but he'll always offload before the tackler committs to him.

Worse comes to worse, he will put always put his body on the line.

Even when injured, still very potent, some say he plays better when slightly injured!

Panthagrey

Juniors
I'll say this here as well but i cant fault Waterhouse for dropping the ball over the line as he busted his leg in doing so...imagine the pain he was having trying to score....:(

Dave Q

Coach
From what I heard on the radio listening to the game, the Panthers went missing for much of the match and then sprung into action after the horse had bolted and was grazing interstate somewhere!

Elliot had a brief to keep the team enlivened and performing and I am sure that he did his best to produce that.

But the fact that they didnt respond earlier -when he would have wanted them to- is pretty dissapointing.

The Panthers have a traditional good start to the season before fatigue and injury set in and nail them.

This year they are all over the shop.

Maybe its an good omen.

Losing the house is ordinary, he was having a good season.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Dave Q said:
But the fact that they didnt respond earlier -when he would have wanted them to- is pretty dissapointing.

Part of the reason we never got going earlier is because we never had possession. That was partly through our own inability to hold on to the ball and partly because we were constantly getting penalised. Now I'm not saying we didn't deserve to get penalised but watching the game live it felt as though the Titans were getting alot more latitude with regards to dominant tackles and getting off the line then penrith were. But I will conceed that may be my bias as a penrith supporter influencing my judgement.

Dave Q

Coach
Caged Panther said:
Part of the reason we never got going earlier is because we never had possession. That was partly through our own inability to hold on to the ball and partly because we were constantly getting penalised. Now I'm not saying we didn't deserve to get penalised but watching the game live it felt as though the Titans were getting alot more latitude with regards to dominant tackles and getting off the line then penrith were. But I will conceed that may be my bias as a penrith supporter influencing my judgement.

No, I think its fine to offer a biased judgment so long as one doesnt hold oneself out as giving an objective assessment I suppose.

Its always better to be at the game live, for a start-no dinky commentators bias influencing your assessment. There are a couple of other hundred reasons as well.

I went to the rabs/sharks match and I saw that their fullback had a pretty solid game.

After the match, on their forum, some of the sharks fans disputed this and said some very unkind things about him. Of course, not many had seen his actual match! Even on TV you cant see the whole field, positioning etc.

A player can get 99% of the game right and screw up 1%. The 1% screw up is the only recollection many people have. Thats a pity.

I can only imagine that it would have been a pretty frustrating afternoon.

If the Panthers can knuckle down and impress over the next 4 weeks, I'll rate them a finals chance. As it is, I'm still undecided.

On player talent, form and the grandness of the occasion, they really should have walloped the Titans. I think Elliot would have been very very unhappy.

Mob may be right. It might be time to give a few of the fringe players an opportunity.

They might be able to implement the game plan more consistently.

Souths suffered the same fate this weekend.

Nobody actually bothered to apply the game plan. Nobody stood up. Big ferocius NZ forwards paying meek homage to the likes of the cowardly shop steward Mason & co. They should have played the tape of youse giving the bulldogs a good and wholesome pawning. They had their heads in the mud for days afterwards.

Yet you cant beat the insect like Titans? What the fug is going on out... mmmm, here?!

Anyways, the Souths game plan may as well have been sent to Folkes the day before, that way, we may have stood a chance!

I hope the Panthers can lift.

*Sandy*

First Grade
mxlegend99 said:
I think considering how many times we crossed their line, and how poor our completion rate was, it really says a lot for how much we have improved.

We scored 4 tries, crossed 7 times only for Waterhouse, Jennings and Puletua to lose the ball.

All with a 57% completion rate. Our attack is better then it ever has been, and our defence is really solid for the most part. We have had poor completions the past 2 weeks, less possession and last week we got a win, this week we only just missed out.

We only need to fix ball security and we will be winning games. 3 bombed tries is a lot, and to still be within 2 points at the end is incredible. Last year when we played poorly, we lost by 20+ margins.

I agree.

I can tell you what, Matt Elliott was not happy though. He had the look of fury in his eyes. I was waiting for him to jump the fence and tell the Premier boys to start warming up for next Friday night. I even think a few of them had a glee of hope in their eyes. ;-)

That was my first game out and I honestly felt that the ref spoilt any rythm flow of the game for Penrith. The last few minutes was exciting stuff though, it certainly got the blood pumping and can't wait for them to turn it around next week.

Kilkenny

Coach
PK said:
I agree.

I can tell you what, Matt Elliott was not happy though. He had the look of fury in his eyes. I was waiting for him to jump the fence and tell the Premier boys to start warming up for next Friday night. I even think a few of them had a glee of hope in their eyes. ;-)

That was my first game out and I honestly felt that the ref spoilt any rythm flow of the game for Penrith. The last few minutes was exciting stuff though, it certainly got the blood pumping and can't wait for them to turn it around next week.

PK, sadly we were a very ordinary outfit for about 70 minutes.

I took very few, if any, positives away from this game.