What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round three vs The Storm

betcats

Referee
I think Luai can develop in that role after what I saw in the second half. He wasn’t perfect and we got off track a bit but we were missing Api and Edwards by the second half. I think he did pretty well overall, it’s a very different role from what he usually does. Nathan controls that middle so well and gets the ball to the spots we like to attack from you definitely notice when he is not there.

Alintheeast

Juniors
STORM = VILLIANS
Storm>villains. Funny thing happened read the early match report in NRL.com the journo had a slight spit about Munster ankle hold on Leniu updated match report Munster doesn’t get a mention. I guess journo got told Storm even without Smith above reproach.

Jane Murray

Bench
Every Panthers player had a terrific game. Given the quality of the opposition, the short turn around, and the lost of Dylan Edwards at half time, we did well. A win against the storm is extremely pleasing at any time, given those hurdles speaks volumes. This was the test we needed.

BxTom

Bench
Great win, I’ll need to rewatch that to give my full thoughts.

but a few things, I thought Staines was great tonight. Saved two tries, scored one.

Burton’s kicking was very good

Tyrone May isn’t a fullback, looked very tentative defusing kicks. That needs to change next week if Edwards is out.

And a massive play to save that try by Kikau. Huge.
Lenui was also involved

Jane Murray

Bench
The Storm then took a short kick-off that appeared to be knocked forward by Crichton then knocked on by an offside Mitch Kenny. Penrith challenged the knock-on ruling against Kenny but Storm coach Craig Bellamy was livid at the lack of an offside penalty, with the original knock-on affirmed by the Bunker.

Melbourne had the chance to clinch the win regardless when Olam took on the defence in the final play of the game, but a miraculous try-saver from Kikau denied the visitors the result.

remote.axd

Defy Impossible: Viliame Kikau's match-saving tackle

Defy Impossible: Viliame Kikau's match-saving tackle

It was a valiant win by Penrith to move to 3-0 atop the Telstra Premiership ladder while the Storm have now lost successive Thursday night epics in western Sydney.

Already without Nathan Cleary (head knock) and Api Koroisau (broken wrist), the Panthers lost Dylan Edwards at the end of the first half to a suspected broken hand after the fullback was arguably the best player on the ground in a 6-6 opening half.

Cleary's replacement Matt Burton proved yet again he is far too good for reserve grade, kicking almost 600 metres in a fine all-round performance with his long kicks to space a huge factor in keeping Penrith in the contest.

The Storm also lost Tom Eisenhuth to a suspected broken rib and Brandon Smith was clutching a shoulder late in the game, while for Penrith Spencer Leniu came off with a shoulder issue but returned late in the game.

A one-on-one steal from Tom Eisenhuth on Brian To'o as Penrith looked to work it off their own line led to first points, with Brandon Smith catching out Kurt Capewell and Edwards from dummy-half in the 11th minute.

A Nicho Hynes try saver denied Brian To'o in the left-hand corner in the 26th minute but Penrith crossed on the opposite flank soon after with a lovely piece of play from Edwards helping set up Charlie Staines for his first of the year.

remote.axd

Cheese hits and spins his way to the opener

Cheese hits and spins his way to the opener

Olam crashed through Penrith's right edge shortly before half-time but was denied what would have been a certain four-pointer by Kenny Bromwich, who messed up his lead run and knocked Edwards out of the way for a clear obstruction to leave the scores level at the break.

Penrith opted for a shot at goal after the Storm were pinged for a late steal but after nailing his first attempt from the touch line, Crichton sliced the easier chance in the 52nd minute to leave the scores still level at 6-6.

A fumble from Tyrone May from a cross-field bomb, under huge pressure, gave the Storm the opportunity to finally break the deadlock in the 64th minute.

remote.axd

Capewell ducks, weaves to snatch win for Panthers

Capewell ducks, weaves to snatch win for Panthers

They created a numbers advantage on the left from the scrum with Munster and Hynes combining to send Josh Addo-Carr over in the corner. Munster missed the sideline conversion which later proved crucial.

The Storm held that lead until Capewell's 78th minute try and the controversial grandstand finish that confirmed a Penrith win.

Michael Matral

Juniors
3/4 of our spine missing, May covering for fullback, Eisenhuth spraying claret like Old Faithful and a ref who obviously had his kids uni fees on the Storm...and we still won!..I don't care who did what when or whatever, after 43 years of watching my Panthers play..this game will go down as one of the great gutsy Panthers victories..That's our boys repping with everything they have..THAT is how you win a competition..

martielang

Bench
I’m too tired to read through the thread but what a ridiculous game of football. One of the best you’ll see during regular season.

Whatever we’re paying the Huth, double it.

Edwards was phenomenal that first half.

It was a very good game.

It’s academic but i thought the soulless purple merkin scored by the angles

But as a great admirer of Kiks, justice done.

Hopefully Ivan drops young chin again. You play better without him. More dynamic and fulsome, less one dimensional.

Edwards masterclass.

Good game to win smugleteers. You’re back!

GongPanther

Referee
Great win, I’ll need to rewatch that to give my full thoughts.

but a few things, I thought Staines was great tonight. Saved two tries, scored one.

Burton’s kicking was very good

Tyrone May isn’t a fullback, looked very tentative defusing kicks. That needs to change next week if Edwards is out.

And a massive play to save that try by Kikau. Huge.
I've gotta watch it again because I'm certain that To'o was taken high when going for that try in the corner.

Latest posts