What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roy Masters on Gallop's problems

Tom Shines

First Grade
I thought it was a great article.
And proves why the SMH is far, far better than the Telecrap.

ibeme

First Grade
The NRL need to hire professional consultants to handle future negotions if they don't already.

I think Gallop is good, and has the best intentions. I just think that he's a bit naive when it comes to negotions with the big boys.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
It seems a lot of you don't know how to speak business speak.

Gallop's response in that shows he right now is the right man for the job.

News Ltd is here until 2018, or until THEY voluntarily leave. Unless we get 200,000 march down george St. and tell them to get out, no keyboard heroes are going to make them change their mind.

Now.. Gallop here also has to contend with Telstra and News Ltd, 2 of the biggest players in the country, also at the back of his mind he has channel 9 and a general overall media that is anxious to be hostile towards RL and praise the other major player in Australian winter sport.. AFL.

He juggles that every single day, and he can't afford to make a poor step in pissing anyone of these players off.

He's faulted here for the TV deal.. which is a crock of sh*t....

When we got our $500 million, we thought it was very good.. and it is.

Only when AFL got $780 million did many of you feel dudded. AFL isn't gettting $780 million because they are that much more valuable or have better negotiators. AFL is getting $780 million because Packer gambled.. and won.. in an effort to f*ck up the finances of channel 7, and is a completely seperate issue to the business acumen of Gallop.

So what is left is the radio deal and some marketing issues and the radio deal looks like something to make sure h doesn't p*ss Singo off.

Kurt Angle said:

News Ltd is here until 2018, or until THEY voluntarily leave. Unless we get 200,000 march down george St. and tell them to get out, no keyboard heroes are going to make them change their mind.

Now.. Gallop here also has to contend with Telstra and News Ltd, 2 of the biggest players in the country, also at the back of his mind he has channel 9 and a general overall media that is anxious to be hostile towards RL and praise the other major player in Australian winter sport.. AFL.

He juggles that every single day, and he can't afford to make a poor step in pissing anyone of these players off.

Only when AFL got $780 million did many of you feel dudded. AFL isn't gettting $780 million because they are that much more valuable or have better negotiators. AFL is getting $780 million because Packer gambled.. and won.. in an effort to f*ck up the finances of channel 7, and is a completely seperate issue to the business acumen of Gallop.

So what is left is the radio deal and some marketing issues and the radio deal looks like something to make sure h doesn't p*ss Singo off.

news ltd said recently they had no plans on leaving RL. they were apparently committed to improving the game (their words).

i always though the TV deals were poor, more so Ch 9. as Ch 9 got an extra game, the increase was not at all satisfactory.

compare the AFL naming rights / internet deals to the NRLs. they also get way more there too. so its not just the case of packer bidding up the TV rights.

most of this is the legacy of SL that league is perceived as a weak sport, and AFL a strong one. AFL then gets offered better deals and we don't.

AFL gets $80 more than RL for its TV rights despite RL getting more viewers (incluing origin, tests and a longer NRL season vs AFL). even the S14 get something like $50 million from foxsports for the Aussie teams, and nobody watches.

when you compare what RL gets to other sports, we are getting ripped off.

Gallop simply did not do a good job there, and the game is paying the price. if i were negotiating, i would bring up the stats that other sports get, and compare their viewers to ours.

gallop has done a great job elsewhere, except the TV rights

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Kurt Angle said:

Kurt,

With respect, what a crock.

Gallop's job before NRL CEO was as a News Limited lawyer trying to kill Souths off. Now, he has successfully killed the Bears off and is striving to ensure that any Central Coast team will not be the Bears.

News Limited have installed him as one of their lackeys to ensure that News Limited's annual payments are not threatened and their interests are protected.

Great administrator? There's nothing to do - just appoint advisers, take advice then sign - then look sombre in front of the cameras and say "our game" 20 times like you mean it.

dallymessenger said:
roy masters is the pinnacle of rugby league writer at the moment. not since the lat Chippy Frinlingos do we have someone writing about the game that knows what is going on. that he is independant from News Ltd means a more negative and honest view of the tentacles that news ltd have wrapped around the game.

the bit where gallop got permission from the full partnership to take legal action against half is funny, but also a sad reflection of how news ltd act against the interests of the game.

and we need both the cowboys and the storm in the NRL. i willing to forgive the cowboys for their SL foray, and melbourne for being owned by news ltd, both are good clubs.

but when a team like cronulla gets stand alone status in the NRL, and illawarra or campbelltown gets 1/2 a team, or central coast no team, you wonder if the game's best interests are being served

Frinlingos, was one of the most biased journos running around at the time.All you have to do is read all his work on the Super league War.The crap that spewed from his keyboard is a matter of record.He like alot of other people changed their hand almost instantly on what side of the fence they stood. Remember his famous/infamous quote from the War "Its cast in stone"

The Preacher

First Grade
Newcastlerabbit said:
Frinlingos, was one of the most biased journos running around at the time.All you have to do is read all his work on the Super league War.The crap that spewed from his keyboard is a matter of record.He like alot of other people changed their hand almost instantly on what side of the fence they stood. Remember his famous/infamous quote from the War "Its cast in stone"

So very, very true. He sold his soul to News Ltd, his employer, whereas a true league supporter would've plied his trade elsewhere, and he would've had NO trouble gaining employ at another establishment if he had the best interests of the game at heart !!

Newcastlerabbit said:

fair call.

he did change his tune about SL.

he was a good writer though. hi grew up reading his work for years and he was number 1. i'm willing to forget his SL thing, and many people did far worse.

dallymessenger said:
roy masters is the pinnacle of rugby league writer at the moment. not since the lat Chippy Frinlingos do we have someone writing about the game that knows what is going on.

:lol:
Full of s**t, Newsltd hack.

How the truth is glossed over when someone sadly departs.

Time for another Siro said:
:lol:
Full of s**t, Newsltd hack.

How the truth is glossed over when someone sadly departs.

he did a lot of writing before SL came along, and was the number 1 writer in the game.

if you are going to talk about SL, there were people far worse than him. some have quite high jobs in the game atm

The Preacher said:
NEVER FORGIVE - NEVER FORGET !!!

mate, SL is one of the worst things to happen in my life. i still wonder where the game would be today if murdoch hadn't picked on our game.

we had a 20 team competition in 1995. 12 years on and we still don't have that. plus other sports like union and AFL got a chance to have a crack at our heartlands.

i have a soft spot for chippy though, but he did jump ship.

still, the game has bounced back from that, and i think RL is the number 1 footy code, even now.

as a show of loalty towards the good guys in the SL war, i try and get out to watch the bunnies now. they stood up for the tradition of the game, whilst some sydney clubs benefitted from betraying the ARL by being rewarded with stand alone status over more worthy clubs.

magpie_man

Juniors
The way to go is to spread coverage of the sport over as many media outlets as possible, even if it means slightly less money.
eg.
NRL - Channel 9/Fox Sports
Internationals - Channel 7
State of Origin - Channel 10

That way each channel has a vested interest in promoting the game at some level.

The Preacher

First Grade
Why would you give Ch.10 three of the highest rating shows of the year. They've got Neighbours and Big Brother to worry about and Seven has Homo and Away, but the big thing is.....SHOW ME THE $$$$$$$

Channel 9 need league to keep competitive with the other networks.

therefore they should pay accordingly.

the old days where nine was the strongest by far are gone.

The Preacher

First Grade
dallymessenger said:
Channel 9 need league to keep competitive with the other networks.

therefore they should pay accordingly.

the old days where nine was the strongest by far are gone.

Ch.9 offered the best price and therefore got the gig. If Seven or Ten offered higher they would've got it if Nine didn't match it.

Quigs

Immortal
Give it the old S Beeaah S...

That's the station to go for..... still filthy on Nien pinching me favorite lil sports girl...

bastards

Cheers
Quigs

skeepe

Immortal
The Preacher said:
So very, very true. He sold his soul to News Ltd, his employer, whereas a true league supporter would've plied his trade elsewhere, and he would've had NO trouble gaining employ at another establishment if he had the best interests of the game at heart !!

So anyone involved in Super League didn't have the best interests of the game at heart? Whereas I'm sure of course that Arthurson and Quayle were not interested in their own little agendas.

You ARL snobs sure make me laugh. :lol:

You act as though it was a battle between good vs evil, and the good guys were the ARL. Far from it mate. The ARL were so corrupt and invested in their own interests that more than half the clubs couldn't wait to get out of there.

The Preacher

First Grade
skeepe said:
So anyone involved in Super League didn't have the best interests of the game at heart? Whereas I'm sure of course that Arthurson and Quayle were not interested in their own little agendas.

You ARL snobs sure make me laugh. :lol:

You act as though it was a battle between good vs evil, and the good guys were the ARL. Far from it mate. The ARL were so corrupt and invested in their own interests that more than half the clubs couldn't wait to get out of there.

I'm hardly a snob, Skeepe, and as far as corruption goes, maybe you should check you're own backyard before you start talking about others.
Super league DIDN"T have the best interests of the game at heart, they had the best interest of their bank accounts at heart, the same as they have now.
Some f**king VISION that turned out to be.
You wouldn't know sh!t from clay if you tasted it you moron.
The only reason clubs left the ARL was GREED, nothing more, nothing less.
John Quayle was the best administrator this game has ever had and the best it will ever have, a tireless worker and a champion bloke.
Come back when you have some idea what you're talking about.