What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RTS A Warrior from 2016

WellsNZ

Juniors
I think it's fantastic that RTS is coming to the Warriors, great for the team on the field obviously, but also great for the team, and the sport in NZ, to have a guy at 21 who could very well end up being the biggest Kiwi star in the competition.

At the same time, pretty disappointed that Tomkins is going to depart the NRL so quickly. Would have liked to see him take more of a crack at the game over here, whether it be with the Warriors or someone else. Too talented to only have a two year dip in the best competition before going back to the UK or yawnion. It's his life though in the end.

Alan Johnson

Juniors
I used to think RTS was overhyped, with great footwork and speed but not a lot else. However he has been chiming into the backline quite nicely since inheriting the fullback position, and appears to have a pretty good passing game (disclosure: have not seen the last two Roosters games).

Losing Tomkins is a blow. Chad is not a premiership winning half and neither will Johnson be unless he has an able assistant. I remain of the view the Warriors should target Union for personnel. There must be kids coming up in Union that have the wherewithal to transfer to League and excel. Surely we could find a promising half that way. Or a hooker. Or anything.

Blake

Juniors
RTS can become a great - but as a Kiwi fan I am concerned, much better playing wise for him to learn at the Roosters imo, much better for his bank balance here - we're a rabble tbh, and while Tomkins is in no way a "great" NRL player, he does give the attack structure - while we have Johnson at 7 and Chad at 6 I really don't want RTS lumbered with that responsibility - as I have said elsewhere, well past time for Johnson to live up to the hype

100% agree. The Warriors don't have the structure that this kid requires.

Wouldn't surprise me if this move stalled his career massively. Silly lad.

ozbash

Referee
Cool that we are gonna get a star who will hopefully play the best few years of his career at the club. Sucks that we will be losing a guy who I still think is probably the most crucial player to success currently at the club. Even worse using that annoying 'homesickness' excuse you see trotted out by pro sportsmen way too often. Getting paid big bucks, forced your way down to the NRL and then quitting on it early. Disappointed.

If the pom is our most crucial player we are in deep shit..I haven't seen anything to justify Tomkins hype..

Big Marn

Bench
For RTS to excel for us like he has been for the Roosters, we need to upgrade our 6 so that we have someone leading the team around the park and letting Johnson free to play off the cuff. TL cant do it anymore, Chad isn't up to it and would be reserve grade in anyother team.
We need to upgrade to a Wallace, or a Ben Hunt or a Gareth Widdop. Even try and find an older player that's coming back from SL in a refreshed state ala Pat Richards etc. The only way this team can flourish and make the most of RTS is to find a 6 with an excellent kicking game and knows how to manage a team around the park.

JJ

Immortal
For RTS to excel for us like he has been for the Roosters, we need to upgrade our 6 so that we have someone leading the team around the park and letting Johnson free to play off the cuff. TL cant do it anymore, Chad isn't up to it and would be reserve grade in anyother team.
We need to upgrade to a Wallace, or a Ben Hunt or a Gareth Widdop. Even try and find an older player that's coming back from SL in a refreshed state ala Pat Richards etc. The only way this team can flourish and make the most of RTS is to find a 6 with an excellent kicking game and knows how to manage a team around the park.

Yeah, agree with all that - except the part that TL was capable of this once. Chad can do it to an extent, but he's not ideal

Alternately, let Johnson go and get a 7 that can do it

vvvrulz

Coach

Chad is definitely not an elite half, but he really hasn't done much wrong this season.
It's not his fault Johnson needs Foran/Tomkins/etc. to hold his hand.
Leuluai was never a half.

JJ

Immortal
Chad is definitely not an elite half, but he really hasn't done much wrong this season.
It's not his fault Johnson needs Foran/Tomkins/etc. to hold his hand.
Leuluai was never a half.

Exactly - I do worry that Johnson is going to parallel Benji, without the premiership...

RTS>>>>Tomkin's
The main reason we have sucked without Tomkins is due to his replacement not having first grade experience.
At least we finally got a star player we where after.

I'd rather have Tomkins than RTS at this stage. If you had to choose between them Tomkins is the safe option, RTS is the gamble that could pay massive dividends.

why couldn't we have both. I would have put Tompkins at standoff in a heartbeat.

And gives RTS 20 games to injure himself. Wish clubs would do deals at the end of the season. Its like paying for a racehorse that's going to have another 10 starts for its owners before you get it. Who does that? Nobody. NRL recruitment is just stupidly wrong.
Anyway all the best for all involved.

He doesn't want to stay so lets not force him like we did with Maloney. We know how shit he went in his final year with us. Glad we got one back on the cheating scum that is the Sydney Rorters

Tomkins partner wanting to leave would be why we cant have both,,,

Please only sign bachelors from here on soft hiding behing his partner then another article stating he was homesick lol ESL will be nice and easy for Sammy lol

Gutted. Not so much in the signing of RTS which is a coup but Tomkins departing just sucks.
Seems soft not evening seeing out a contract.

We should be partying we got a golden signing and someone whom has a better overall and complete skill-set. Tomkins with his organizing would be surely missed but he seems pretty weak to be a NRL FB so glad we got RTS.

Sadly its not recruiting a player to enhance our squad, its bringing in a great player to replace another great player. It would have been nice to see them both on the paddock at the same time in the same team.

Disagree we have enhanced our squad tremendously with the signing of RTS we can build a stronger kiwi team too. Imagine if we had Foran too almost the whole Kiwi Spine. Im stoked we need to party hard lol

Tomkins is not a great player, at least on NRL terms.

Was he on the way there? Absolutely. But he was a long term investment in which we gave him plenty of time to get up to top gear. Him leaving means that we never really got the best of him, and that's a massive disappointment.

Having both of them would have indeed been great.

Tomkins is a good player not a great one. Probably would of been great as a half but since he moving back to the rainlands we will never know

Cool that we are gonna get a star who will hopefully play the best few years of his career at the club. Sucks that we will be losing a guy who I still think is probably the most crucial player to success currently at the club. Even worse using that annoying 'homesickness' excuse you see trotted out by pro sportsmen way too often. Getting paid big bucks, forced your way down to the NRL and then quitting on it early. Disappointed.

I wouldn't want to keep anyone around in our squad that has their mind elsewhere. Maloney again is great example. we got RTS!!! wohooo

June 30 is waving quite furiously at this news.

Rule and regulations via NRL is all just a f**ken laughfest. Only League lol

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Does this mean that once Tomkins is fit we start playing Lolohea at 6? Because in terms of potential the money combination long term seems to be RTS #1, Lolo #6, SJ #7.

Latest posts