What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RTS back for 2024!

Meth

Staff member
I get it, sort of....the trans tasman bubble opened for an uncertain amount of time. But yeah, kinda felt like the captain jumping off the ship at the first available opportunity.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
It's a real shame that RTS pretty much missed 3 years of his prime for what was basically 1 year of union. His 2021 season was a bit of an abortion (including returning home to lockdown instead of playing NPC as planned) and then 2023 he was going through the motions for most of the year having said he was coming back to league. I still find it weird how his rugby stint panned out.

I get it, sort of....the trans tasman bubble opened for an uncertain amount of time. But yeah, kinda felt like the captain jumping off the ship at the first available opportunity.
Personally, I was ok with it. A little disappointed maybe, but more because we were losing him from the game, than him leaving the team as such.

I just thought as skipper he carried more on his shoulders than anyone else during that period, and yet he still never failed to give everything on the pitch.

That said, I know a lot of people who felt different which I also understood.

It's a real shame that RTS pretty much missed 3 years of his prime for what was basically 1 year of union. His 2021 season was a bit of an abortion (including returning home to lockdown instead of playing NPC as planned) and then 2023 he was going through the motions for most of the year having said he was coming back to league. I still find it weird how his rugby stint panned out.

Yea likewise and I do wonder how much that cancelled NPC season cost him in the end. Seemed the perfect way to ease back into the code. Certainly far better than jumping straight into SR.

NZ rugby hasn't always been a happy place for converts has it. Benji flamed out, SBW did better but cut his teeth in France first, and even big bad Brad had an early case of cold feet when Mitchell first tried picking him.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Yea likewise and I do wonder how much that cancelled NPC season cost him in the end. Seemed the perfect way to ease back into the code. Certainly far better than jumping straight into SR.

NZ rugby hasn't always been a happy place for converts has it. Benji flamed out, SBW did better but cut his teeth in France first, and even big bad Brad had an early case of cold feet when Mitchell first tried picking him.

Benji and RTS both baffle me. Benji literally only played a handful of games (I didn't watch them closely but I know he starred in one of them, possibly off the bench). People always laugh about him failing in rugby, but he wasn't there anywhere long enough to succeed or fail.

With RTS, I largely thought his 2022 season had gone pretty well, including a good season in a gun Blues backline and fledgling steps for the ABs. Then he gets a few games into the 2023 season and says he's leaving? You'd have to assume he was told behind the scenes that no matter how well he played he wasn't going to make the World Cup squad, which in itself seems weird and premature.

Benji and RTS both baffle me. Benji literally only played a handful of games (I didn't watch them closely but I know he starred in one of them, possibly off the bench). People always laugh about him failing in rugby, but he wasn't there anywhere long enough to succeed or fail.

With RTS, I largely thought his 2022 season had gone pretty well, including a good season in a gun Blues backline and fledgling steps for the ABs. Then he gets a few games into the 2023 season and says he's leaving? You'd have to assume he was told behind the scenes that no matter how well he played he wasn't going to make the World Cup squad, which in itself seems weird and premature.
According to some of the reports since he announced his return, the seeds were sown as early as Dec-22. From memory he mentions not only meeting Webby for the first time but a couple of the players. And at that stage, his manager was already lining up a deal in Japan.

So yea, I think you’re right that he was told his AB future wasn’t looking great, and it may have been as early as the straight after the ’22 EOYT.

Matua

Bench

If we're being honest RTS got capped on reputation. That's not to say he couldn't have succeeded if in the game longer. But he needed that NPC he missed and probably should have been eased in on the wing. But the reality is he was never going to make the RWC squad, even if there were injuries he wouldn't have been next cab off the rank in the midfielder.

But, he gave it a go and is a dual international so good on him.

If we're being honest RTS got capped on reputation. That's not to say he couldn't have succeeded if in the game longer. But he needed that NPC he missed and probably should have been eased in on the wing. But the reality is he was never going to make the RWC squad, even if there were injuries he wouldn't have been next cab off the rank in the midfielder.

Yea agree. No matter how its spun I don’t think anyone can claim it was a successful switch. But I’ll always respect the man for giving it a crack, and also the way he went about it. Nothing but humble and respectful. Dude is top drawer in all respects.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

I’ll be the first to admit I’m no Union expert, but overall I thought his 2022 season was pretty good. He was a locked in member of a gun Blues backline so it’s not like his selection as a fringe AB was out of left field. I always figured it was a 2 year project for him to make the RWC squad and 2022 seemed like a decent start. Then the 2023 season has barely started and he’s packing it in, effectively wasting a year of his life in the process? It’ll never make sense to me.

Meth

Staff member
He wasn’t the best in his position and didn’t really have the versatility (in Union) to cover a few positions. Jordie Barrett playing 12 sunk his career

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Didnt offer or threaten much tonight, Niko had him covered.
I thought he went ok but still needs time to really settle into the team structure. Defended well and was strong carrying the ball, but the structures on that side weren’t well oiled enough to really consistently threaten. Other than a few good early carries Montoya wasn’t getting a ton of ball outside him.

I'd have to look back but the break made when Montoya jammed in that lead to the try a couple of tackles later, RTS face had a WTF look to it.

Latest posts