What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RTS

Blair

Coach
I missed my wintry trip to Christchurch this year, just like last. I love it at that time, not many people around the suburban streets, long walks down to the windswept New Brighton Pier, a wild ocean, with Chile just over the horizon.

Friday night and it gets dark early, so I'll stop by the local fish 'n' chip shop to get the order for mum, dad and I, then home to a warm house and a Warriors game. I lap up the homegrown Sky Sport build-up and then the game, the inevitable loss, the old man calling them 'bloody no-hopers', just like old times in '95, and the old lady having a go at me when I crack open my sixth beer.

Magic.

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
Not really sure why you’d doubt V’landys, first sport in the world to comeback and everyone laughed at him when he suggested it, but he got the job done dealing with numerous state govts in Oz

The permanent high tackle crack down that lasted all of 1.5 weeks?

Ah Mau now heading home too.
Will we have a team left soon?
These guys are well paid professionals.
Understandable in certain circumstances (sick loved ones).
RTS could have done hotel quantine, or Auckland rugby union could have got him an exemption for being a union player.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I missed my wintry trip to Christchurch this year, just like last. I love it at that time, not many people around the suburban streets, long walks down to the windswept New Brighton Pier, a wild ocean, with Chile just over the horizon.

Friday night and it gets dark early, so I'll stop by the local fish 'n' chip shop to get the order for mum, dad and I, then home to a warm house and a Warriors game. I lap up the homegrown Sky Sport build-up and then the game, the inevitable loss, the old man calling them 'bloody no-hopers', just like old times in '95, and the old lady having a go at me when I crack open my sixth beer.

Magic.
Was hoping I’d get back to the BoP during winter for my mums bday in august but that ain’t happening now for the second year running either. Probably would’ve done a bit of a road trip around some of quieter bits of the north islamd weather permitting and just generally soaked up the chilly ambience. As with the Warriors, there’s always next year.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Will we have a team left soon?
These guys are well paid professionals.
Understandable in certain circumstances (sick loved ones).
RTS could have done hotel quantine, or Auckland rugby union could have got him an exemption for being a union player.
If we don't, is that an issue? Am I right in saying given the bubble is closed and may be for some time, and no spots in MIQ, that

This season doesn't matter anymore. If they all wanted to go back to NZ now I'd be 100% sweet with it. You don't want a situation where they're stuck in Australia until late in the year, and their mental strength is compromised again.

They might be well paid professionals but they're humans. They've faced a mountain of shit (not compared to some, but that is irrelevant), and no amount of 0s in your bank account makes you immune to that. It might motivate you to work through it, and give you an obligation to do so, but it doesn't bulletproof you.

Meth

Staff member
To be honest, I think this takes some of the sheen off RTS's otherwise stellar reputation. Exceptional circumstances, no doubt. But we let him break his contract early to go to Union and now we're letting him leave before the season is done.

The lovefest is a bit much for me.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
It’s a really tough one, but as the commentators are saying, NRL is a tough beast, Walsh looks like it’s taking its toll on him but he has to keep going with RTS at home.

Exceptional circumstances as mentioned but when the club is struggling to put out a side and 2 fit, experienced players pull the pin, it’s hard to take

jaseg

Juniors
Looks like his (Walsh) shoulder isn't right. If we get a few players back it probably wouldn't be the worst thing to rest him for a week and hope it comes right - but they'd have a better idea of whether or not that would help much. Even without RTS. Our season is over, I'm happy enough to let him go given the other circumstances.

I just think if we were in the 8 the situation in NZ stays the same, but I am sure he isn't let go.
Does it free up cap space to sign B Smith?

Meth

Staff member
If we were letting him go to reunite him with his family, fair enough. That isn’t the case.

Letting him go to make sure he gets to Rugby. Well, ok- but less fanfare. Have a haka. Spare me the rest.

great player, up until a month before the very end. Finished poorly

waipiro

Juniors
I just think if we were in the 8 the situation in NZ stays the same, but I am sure he isn't let go.
Does it free up cap space to sign B Smith?

Sounds like its more to free space for Joey Manu...

“The Roger Tuivasa-Sheck decision plays into this a bit because by allowing Roger to go early, they cleared up a significant amount of money under their salary cap.

“(They can) essentially pay guys more this year which reduces the amount they’ve got to pay them next year.

Meth

Staff member
Sounds like its more to free space for Joey Manu...

“The Roger Tuivasa-Sheck decision plays into this a bit because by allowing Roger to go early, they cleared up a significant amount of money under their salary cap.

“(They can) essentially pay guys more this year which reduces the amount they’ve got to pay them next year.

OK, well then, I'm not too dark on that.

Latest posts