What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
The great man was right there
No the ` great man ` is only adding to the perception that League is played by dummies. He is doing the game, its` players and its` supporters no favours with his ill-thought out contribution.
When you listen to a great commentator like Billy Slater it is very quickly revealed that there are as many intricacies in as many areas in League as in any other sport, i.e. from how bombs are caught, how markers line up and split, how defences are structured, how sets are constructed, etc. etc. etc. etc.
Too often League fans are are served up with pundits who through their buffoonery and lack of intelligence only perpetuate the ` simple game ` myth. Johns, Cam Smith, Paul Vautin the latest in a long line.
Thanks for nothing Laurie, think before you open your mouth.

Colk

First Grade
No the ` great man ` is only adding to the perception that League is played by dummies. He is doing the game, its` players and its` supporters no favours with his ill-thought out contribution.
When you listen to a great commentator like Billy Slater it is very quickly revealed that there are as many intricacies in as many areas in League as in any other sport, i.e. from how bombs are caught, how markers line up and split, how defences are structured, how sets are constructed, etc. etc. etc. etc.
Too often League fans are are served up with pundits who through their buffoonery and lack of intelligence only perpetuate the ` simple game ` myth. Johns, Cam Smith, Paul Vautin the latest in a long line.

True but I was referring to the wanker part

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
True but I was referring to the wanker part
I kind of knew that mate. When I was at Macquarie University in the `80`s there was a lot of blokes studying finance, accounting etc. who were all destined to be eventually employed in that world where union draws a lot of its` support from. Trust me, a lot of those blokes had being wankers down to a fine art. A more boring unimaginative lot you would ever meet.

I have a feeling someone from the NRL created the $10 million price tag, so they can make the ARU waste pretty much all there money at once... And if the ARU can't match the hype it'll look like the ARU really don't have the money or the means...and League would be be more appealing.

I kind of knew that mate. When I was at Macquarie University in the `80`s there was a lot of blokes studying finance, accounting etc. who were all destined to be eventually employed in that world where union draws a lot of its` support from. Trust me, a lot of those blokes had being wankers down to a fine art. A more boring unimaginative lot you would ever meet.
.....and don't forget Coke Heads

Colk

First Grade

I agree also his choice of words could have been a little better. Simple is not the right word. Maybe direct or not tied down by complexity. I get what he was trying to say.

taste2taste

Juniors
I read in the comments section of SMH some of the most amzinging comments from thier Mosman and Rose Bay audience. One commenter said Suaallii would never make it in rugby because rugby's defence is far superior to league ... and then pointed to ( former NRL player ) Korabeates tackle on the weekend as an example !

Oh lordy, I wish that game between the All Blacks V Kangaroos happened a few years back, it would have been so satisfying wiping the smirks off thier face as the kangaroos ran up a cricket score.

Colk

First Grade
I read in the comments section of SMH some of the most amzinging comments from thier Mosman and Rose Bay audience. One commenter said Suaallii would never make it in rugby because rugby's defence is far superior to league ... and then pointed to ( former NRL player ) Korabeates tackle on the weekend as an example !

Oh lordy, I wish that game between the All Blacks V Kangaroos happened a few years back, it would have been so satisfying wiping the smirks off thier face as the kangaroos ran up a cricket score.

Union’s defence? Don’t they have no space in that game. You should be able to defend if they are less than 5 metres out

bipolarbob

Juniors
Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

A mate of mine refers to rugby union as "kick and clap". That's because whenever a player puts up a simple up and under kick (i.e. basically a bomb) the union crowd applauds like its the greatest act of skill and daring ever to have happened.
i watched a english rugby union game a while ago. after 10mins my neck was killing me following the ball like a rollercoaster awful game, but over here its king and league is a minority sport played by northerners.

Coastbloke

Bench
Annoying and unhelpful, but it gives players an opportunity to play for their country, which the ARLC/NRL despises..

Colk

First Grade
Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

A mate of mine refers to rugby union as "kick and clap". That's because whenever a player puts up a simple up and under kick (i.e. basically a bomb) the union crowd applauds like its the greatest act of skill and daring ever to have happened.

It certainly is. Rugby Union fans use that term when something actually exciting happens

Wb1234

Referee
Bit harsh

us leaguies know how complex the game is. Loz was just mocking the union guys he knows how complicated the game can be

union is literally copying our rules with the 40 20 for ex

Wb1234

Referee
Annoying and unhelpful, but it gives players an opportunity to play for their country, which the ARLC/NRL despises..
So does league

except in league you will be a household name in australia

imagine how depressing it must be turning up to super rugby every week with their crowds of 5k to many games

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
ive chucked a random punt for over the total once in the english premiership rugby comp because it was up next on fox at some stupid hour in the morning. Needed another 2 points to win and watched 13 of the last 15 minutes of the game setting for scrums and thats it. The side in the lead kept winning a penalty in the scrum and would decided to pack a scrum because thats one of the options you can choose. Then finally getting the ball out of it, immediately making a mistake and packing another scrum. Can understand keeping the ball in the corner in the last 2 or 3 minutes in a soccer game to keep a result or running a few boring runs up the middle in nfl to chew some clock at the end but going out of you way to make a game as boring as humanly possible for 15 mins is just on a level on its own. That's the premier level with top 14 in france not being much different.

Compare that to the NPC games in NZ that when i lived there for a few years and was within walking distance to the counties manakau ground with a fraction of the money involved and seeing end to end non stop attack in a comp where if the conditions aren't rubbish 30+ points can be scored in one half on a regular basis its obvious what happens as soon as you involve the old white rich wankers mentioned above into the game.

Wb1234

Referee
ive chucked a random punt for over the total once in the english premiership rugby comp because it was up next on fox at some stupid hour in the morning. Needed another 2 points to win and watched 13 of the last 15 minutes of the game setting for scrums and thats it. The side in the lead kept winning a penalty in the scrum and would decided to pack a scrum because thats one of the options you can choose. Then finally getting the ball out of it, immediately making a mistake and packing another scrum. Can understand keeping the ball in the corner in the last 2 or 3 minutes in a soccer game to keep a result or running a few boring runs up the middle in nfl to chew some clock at the end but going out of you way to make a game as boring as humanly possible for 15 mins is just on a level on its own. That's the premier level with top 14 in france not being much different.

Compare that to the NPC games in NZ that when i lived there for a few years and was within walking distance to the counties manakau ground with a fraction of the money involved and seeing end to end non stop attack in a comp where if the conditions aren't rubbish 30+ points can be scored in one half on a regular basis its obvious what happens as soon as you involve the old white rich wankers mentioned above into the game.
Union in nz has always been different to the rest

their philosophy is very rugby league like

the all blacks are playing the wrong sport

they should be testing themselves against Australia’s best

Billythekid

First Grade
So does league

except in league you will be a household name in australia

imagine how depressing it must be turning up to super rugby every week with their crowds of 5k to many games
They get to travel the world playing in front of big crowds in all sorts of countries.

JamesRustle

First Grade
RA thought they were on a winner with this advertising campaign, but got a harsh dose of reality when the responses were all: Really?? Can we change it to be more like rugby league then, because union is complete shit.

Hamish McLennan has Joseph Suaalii in his sights despite stating the $10 million figure floated was “fanciful”. Photo: Getty Images