What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

taste2taste

Juniors
I don't agree with you on SBW, I said you could possibly make an argument.

You talked about the NRL topping up contracts to players that the ARU or some other organisation is trying to poach, now you're changing it to marquee players. Fine. Your argument is still dumb. 2 players move to marquee player contracts and the salary cap then gets spread across 28 players instead of 30. You don't think the average contract just bumps up a bit. Clubs aren't going to hold out a few hundred k waiting for one of their players to get approached by the ARU.

So what if they do? The ARU tried to raid the NRL in the past and got Sailor, Rogers, Tuqiri, Cross and maybe another 1 or 2 that I don't recall. The impact on the NRL was nil, no loss in revenue, no loss in game quality. Players will leave to try something different, history tells us that a lot of them will return. Most players aren't interested in leaving the game they've played their whole lives for an opportunity to move away from family and friends to play rugby on the other side of the world. Some players will be offered that opportunity and a small number of those that are will take it. Leaving the country to work is a big decision for any person, being an athlete doesn't make that decision any easier. For many players that do leave the NRL, the opportunity is as much part of the decision as the money. The NRL can't stop all the factors in the decision and players leaving for money are not enough of an impact on the game to throw significant money at it.
You're saying had SBW not left and spent his prime years in the NRL he wouldn't be the greatest back rower in our games history ?

My argument is simple, the NRL has an annual revenue and assets that Top 14, Japan..etc could only dream of. We shouldn't be loosing any players to thier competitions. I don't care if they're past thier prime or yet to hit thier prime. By every metric the NRL is the world's premier Rugby comp and we should be trying to keep our players...especially players like Manu and Suaallii who have said thier preference is to stay.

It's akin to Coke-a-Cola loosing thier best admin to Kirk's.

Munky

Coach
You're saying had SBW not left and spent his prime years in the NRL he wouldn't be the greatest back rower in our games history ?

My argument is simple, the NRL has an annual revenue and assets that Top 14, Japan..etc could only dream of. We shouldn't be loosing any players to thier competitions. I don't care if they're past thier prime or yet to hit thier prime. By every metric the NRL is the world's premier Rugby comp and we should be trying to keep our players...especially players like Manu and Suaallii who have said thier preference is to stay.

Kirks is owned by Coca-Cola Amatil...

Perth Red

Post Whore

bazza

Immortal
Plenty of players have left the NRL for rugby, boxing, ESL and other opportunities. None of them were greatly missed and the competition carried on. Allowing hypotheticals to give players another way of leveraging bigger contracts when the reality is most of them won't leave, will simply do more damage than if a few players leave. Every time the ARU buys an NRL player a coffee, clubs will be putting their hand out to stop the player leaving the NRL.
Imagine if the NRL had spent extra money on keeping Wendell, Matt and Lote back in the early 2000s.
If that happened then the NRL would be super popular and Australia rugby union would be in a downward spiral .... oh wait

bazza

Immortal
I'd argue with you that "none of them were missed " Sonny Bill, Radradra, Lauiti'iti were all on course to be the GOAT in thier positions but left in or before thier prime. So that's 3 of the games GOATS we've lost unnecessarily.
what affect has those players not being in the NRL had on the popularity of the NRL and rugby union?

bazza

Immortal
If Manu's preference is to stay in the NRL why didn't he take the Dragons' offer for the same amount as the French RU offer?

Delboy

First Grade
If Manu's preference is to stay in the NRL why didn't he take the Dragons' offer for the same amount as the French RU offer?
Manu said prepeatedly he was never going to play against the Roosters, as club he has been at since being recruited from NZ. Lesser players have done similar things, Manu Mau went to the UK rather than play agst Parra, other have done similar. Despite the pessimism . , there is a decent amount of loyalty in the NRL.

bazza

Immortal
Manu said prepeatedly he was never going to play against the Roosters, as club he has been at since being recruited from NZ. Lesser players have done similar things, Manu Mau went to the UK rather than play agst Parra, other have done similar. Despite the pessimism . , there is a decent amount of loyalty in the NRL.
exactly
If this is an issue we want to solve and keep more one club players - then the answer would be giving salary cap discounts for long serving players rather than topping up salaries for players who might go to RU

Perth Red

Post Whore
exactly
If this is an issue we want to solve and keep more one club players - then the answer would be giving salary cap discounts for long serving players rather than topping up salaries for players who might go to RU
Cap has just gone up $2mill, and still players want more? Shame to lose talent out of the comp but where do you draw the line? Top 14 and NRL caps are now the same. Theirs is about to go down next year though.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee

"Loosing" what??

Wb1234

Referee
Can they easily match the pay though? According to reports Manu could earn about the same in the NRL as with French RU

In regards to future players leaving - again if there is bigger money in other competitions then that should mean that the NRL has to make their competition more popular. I think investing in marketing and juniors would probably get a better future return than investing it into a couple of established players who might go an play in another competition
Nrl clubs receive 5 million over a cap of 12.5 million

the cap could be as high as 17.5 million if the grant and cap marched each other

the arlc is running profits of 50 million pa which is worth another 2.5 million per club

then the next tv deal could see a rise of 150 million pa

there’s a huge scope for rugby league salaries to make huge rises to levels union can’t match