What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Wb1234

Referee
You would be mostly correct. The Cheetahs and the...whatever the Port Elizabeth side were calling themselves actually played in the Celtic League after getting booted from Super Rugby until Covid kicked in.

My contention with this was the clearly wrong point that South Africa leaving was what killed Super Rugby. In Australia at least, that shit was long dead beforehand.

t-ba

Post Whore

The one statistic in either of those opinion pieces is literally about divorce in the UK mate. Neither of these articles are talking about comp viability just playing standards.

Super Rugby was f**king doa in 2019. I just don't get what's so hard to accept about that basic fact.

Wb1234

Referee
The one statistic in either of those opinion pieces is literally about divorce in the UK mate. Neither of these articles are talking about comp viability just playing standards.

Super Rugby was f**king doa in 2019. I just don't get what's so hard to accept about that basic fact.
Dieing is the best argument you can make

even now in Australia it’s not fully dead yet they literally just paid 1.6 millon for suaali and can pull out private sponsors whenever they want

anyway the point I was trying to make is super rugby was a massive success and if they stuck to their winning formula wouldn’t have seen the decline that’s happened

their implosion is solely due to their own mistakes and nothing rugby league has done (which is a shame)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Over-expansion largely screwed it. It had teams in two hemispheres in 5-6 time zones spread right round the world. So costs were high, travel was onerous and live games were often at times that weren’t attractive to much of the audience.

the Saffers realised that it was actually more viable to play against Europeans sides because the time zones work better (SA is the same time zone as continental Europe), Japan prefer their own domestic league.

Last edited:

t-ba

Post Whore
Dieing is the best argument you can make

even now in Australia it’s not fully dead yet they literally just paid 1.6 millon for suaali and can pull out private sponsors whenever they want

anyway the point I was trying to make is super rugby was a massive success and if they stuck to their winning formula wouldn’t have seen the decline that’s happened

their implosion is solely due to their own mistakes and nothing rugby league has done (which is a shame)

Mate, you said this

kicking out South Africa killed the comp

Like seriously. So it's not dead or is it dead?

My point is that the comp was f**ked in 2019 and South Africa leaving wasn't what killed it.

Wb1234

Referee
Over-expansion largely screwed it. It had teams in two hemispheres in 5-6 time zones spread right round the world. So costs were high, travel was onerous and live games were often at times that weren’t attractive to much of the audience.
Japan and Argentina were fairly sucesful though

the issue was Australia. With Three teams they were competitive with nz and sa
Mate, you said this

Like seriously. So it's not dead or is it dead?
union isn’t dead no

that’s just wishful thinking

what’s your point here ?

t-ba

Post Whore
Japan and Argentina were fairly sucesful though

The Sunwolves were not successful. They couldn't compete with Top League for players, failed to meet the financial conditions put upon them and in 2019 were informed they were getting the chop in 2021.

the issue was Australia. With Three teams they were competitive with nz and sa

Sure why not, but not the issue I had with your post.

union isn’t dead no

that’s just wishful thinking

what’s your point here ?

Where did I say Union was dead dude?

You said South Africa Leaving killed Super Rugby. I disagreed. And I'll maintain it was f**ked and pretty much dead (in Oz atleast) before that happened.

Wb1234

Referee
The Sunwolves were not successful. They couldn't compete with Top League for players, failed to meet the financial conditions put upon them and in 2019 were informed they were getting the chop in 2021.

Sure why not, but not the issue I had with your post.

Where did I say Union was dead dude?

You said South Africa Leaving killed Super Rugby. I disagreed. And I'll maintain it was f**ked and pretty much dead (in Oz atleast) before that happened.
Japan started winning games and had no share of The tv money

you can see the impact the super rugby sides had on the national teams for Japan and Argentina

I’ve shown links where they mention the impact of sa being kicked from super rugby if you want to ignore them that’s on you

australia and nz wanted a trans Tasman competiton due to the poor time slots and travel time for sa

it was a massive gamble and it failed. Meanwhile the sa super rugby sides have done well in the northern hemisphere comp

nz are going to struggle going forward with the week to week games vs the springboks

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Super Rugby has been a floundering lump in Australia for years, especially in NSW. Crowds were not great and no one wanted to spend a cent broadcasting it.
The quality was rubbish. Highly paid players didn't understand simple concepts of running lines or even being behind the guy who might pass you the ball. It was getting populated full of over paid egotists without any real talent. They brough back useless old players who hadn't actually passed the ball since 1990 but had double barrelled names so it was OK.
A lot of this stems from Eddie Jones and his mates changing the way Australian RU was supposed to be played and effectively ruining RU in Australia. Then the dumb asses went and employed him a second time

taste2taste

Juniors
Some deliciously salty comments in there from the usual Audi driving Pimms quaffers.
The comment that always gets me is they genuinely believe NRL players can't make it in rugby...thier game is so much more advanced that a league player would be totally out of thier depth.

Cooper Vuna and Curtis Rona say hold my beer :D

Wb1234

Referee
“I love the concept of an old boys’ day at Allianz Stadium ... three back-to-back GPS [Great Public Schools] games at Allianz Stadium from 11am to 5pm, and you just make it a festival,” Waugh said.

The “save rugby” plan involves a “festival” of Riverview, King’s and Joeys? Phil, that’s not a plan, that’s a Betoota Advocate headline.

bazza

Immortal
“I love the concept of an old boys’ day at Allianz Stadium ... three back-to-back GPS [Great Public Schools] games at Allianz Stadium from 11am to 5pm, and you just make it a festival,” Waugh said.

The “save rugby” plan involves a “festival” of Riverview, King’s and Joeys? Phil, that’s not a plan, that’s a Betoota Advocate headline.

I guess the reason so many RL players go from GPS schools back to rugby league is that once they have played in the first XV for Joeys/Kings/Riverview they have achieved the pinnacle of rugby union achievement in Australia

Latest posts