What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Willie Ray

Bench
221 posts in 19 years ? And I thought I was a slow poster :D

Yes, the Wallabies fans in the crowd were the perfect cliche of a rugby fan, 55 to 65yrs old, white, and wearing a Rolex...or Tag if you want to go low key.

There would be alot of wives in Mosman and Rose Bay getting up to mischief while thier hubbies have scooted over to France to watch the rugby
Heyaaa....
Those Mosman,Rose Bay wives getting up to mischief while hubby's away,
they're going out in Sydney all weekend and getting boned
by Rugby League players.....I betcha.

taste2taste

Juniors
I wonder how many Stan Sport subscriptions got cancelled today ?

One of RA selling pionts in thier pitch to Nine/Stan was that Rugby's upper-class fan base don't bother to cancel subscriptions in the off season ( unlike povo NRL fans that cancel Kayo soon as the season ends ) but seeing the reaction from the Rara toffs I rekon a huge amount of subscriptions ended today.

t-ba

Post Whore
Remember the last Jones who switched codes to coach League- was hardly a roaring success. I guess at least Eddie won’t spend half his time trying to root the players.

Depends on what your definition of success is.

I reckon for me Eddie Jones coaching Souths would be very successful in terms of personal entertainment.

bazza

Immortal
Disagree

super rugby was a huge success with 3 Aussie teams and the South Africans in it and I think four kiwi teams

if they had stuck with that the sport would’ve been fine

kicking out South Africa killed the comp
people yearn to watch the Brumbies play the Cheetahs

Perth Red

Post Whore
The demise of union here is giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling! Even better my bro in law is welsh and was at the game and sending me humorous messages all night.

gerg

Juniors
South Africa only left during Covid. They last played in the abandoned 2020 season.

It was f**ked long before that.

I can't remember which World Cup it was but it was so boring they considered bringing in experimental rules (ELVs) to make the game quicker and promote open, running rugby. They trialled it in the Southern Hemisphere and from memory it was pretty popular. But the Northern Hemisphere teams refused to adopt it because of their f**king stupid love of 'the set piece'. All those soap dodgers preferred to see a scrum reset over and over for five minutes until the referee blows a penalty for the hooker having his shoelace untied, instead of attacking football. That was the beginning of the slow death.

Canard

Immortal
@t-ba @Wb1234

I understood the Saffers left Super Rugby of there own accord because of the time zone, TV rights and travel.

And by no means were "kicked" out, and that NZ and Aus were by no means in a position to dictate to SA anyway.

I'm no Rugby expert however.

bazza

Immortal
@t-ba @Wb1234

I understood the Saffers left Super Rugby of there own accord because of the time zone, TV rights and travel.

And by no means were "kicked" out, and that NZ and Aus were by no means in a position to dictate to SA anyway.

I am guessing it wasn't much commercially gained from Australia at least having the South African teams in the comp - though perhaps not playing decent teams regularly led to a decline in the playing standards of Australia at least

t-ba

Post Whore
@t-ba @Wb1234

You would be mostly correct. The Cheetahs and the...whatever the Port Elizabeth side were calling themselves actually played in the Celtic League after getting booted from Super Rugby until Covid kicked in.

My contention with this was the clearly wrong point that South Africa leaving was what killed Super Rugby. In Australia at least, that shit was long dead beforehand.

t-ba

Post Whore
I am guessing it wasn't much commercially gained from Australia at least having the South African teams in the comp - though perhaps not playing decent teams regularly led to a decline in the playing standards of Australia at least

We've been having RL discussions on here about the amount of football lower graders have played since 2020 and how that's affecting the quality of the comp.

Could it be that the lack of high level sport in Oz and NZ for Union players may have had a similar effect on this world cup cycle? Northern Hemisphere players have barely missed a beat since 2020 in regards to playing time.

Canard

Immortal
I understood that the TV money from SA dwarfed the Australian TV money. And that SA was the dominant partner in SANZAR because of this

Canard

Immortal
You would be mostly correct. The Cheetahs and the...whatever the Port Elizabeth side were calling themselves actually played in the Celtic League after getting booted from Super Rugby until Covid kicked in.

My contention with this was the clearly wrong point that South Africa leaving was what killed Super Rugby. In Australia at least, that shit was long dead beforehand.
100% SR was dead well before the departure of SA.

The expansion to Japan and Argentina was also part of the hubris that led to SA deciding the comp was getting bloated and to costly.