What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Why would that rort depend on Joey going to Japan instead of France? Anyway, the NRL had already stated that such a move wouldn’t be tolerated, didn’t they? As usual, a journo has a brain fart knowing that attaching it to the Roosters will gain traction for his story just like the seventy million off-contract players we’ve supposedly been in discussions with over the years because fans get triggered. Even if that rort was allowed, its available to every club.
Japanese clubs are historically more open to short term deals than the French clubs. Plus their shorter season makes it more workable for players who take them up after our season finishes, with the intention of returning during the following season. The fact its a far less physically taxing comp then the French scene also helps.

Japanese clubs are historically more open to short term deals than the French clubs. Plus their shorter season makes it more workable for players who take them up after our season finishes, with the intention of returning during the following season. The fact its a far less physically taxing comp then the French scene also helps.
Thanks for that, had no idea

JamesRustle

First Grade
Wasn’t the original story he’d go do 6 months in Japan, then come back to Roosters on a way reduced contract (much lower than what Dragons were offering), and then everyone rightly kicked off saying ‘that’s a clear rort, that can’t happen’, so then the narrative changed to ‘he’s going to France and has always dreamed of being an All Black’ and the noise quietened down.

My bet…. Announces he’s leaving for Japan to realise his rugby union dream (and earning squillions)…. Lots of media releases about how we can’t afford to let such talent leave our game and we should do whatever we can to keep talent like him (media get to rehash all their lazy old articles about war chests and NRL central contracts for marquee players), fans of lesser teams complain and make loads of noise about how unfair that would be…. He leaves for Japan, no NRL central contract, but then after 6 months, wants to come back, misses first 10 rounds of 2025 and back to Roosters on a much reduced deal, way below market value. Media do stories celebrating his return, everyone is happy to get one over on Union, but in reality, the rort was always on.
I'm impressed... you're almost as cynical as I am.

Reactions: Vee
Thanks for that, had no idea

All good... short term sabbaticals in Japan have become increasingly common in NZ for All Blacks looking to bump their incomes. Beauden Barrett and Ardie Savea both signed one season deals (Barrett's actually with Verblitz himself) after last year's RWC which means they're missing this year's SR, but they'll both return in time for the test season to kick off in July.

So if Joey intends to do the dodgy, Japan is the place to do it.

That said, a one year deal may also be with the intention of moving back to NZ and pushing for an All Black spot. The Japanese season finishes in May-ish, NPC kicks off in Aug-ish and if he does well in both, he could earn an All Black EOY tour spot to further his development ahead of SR in '26 and the WC in '27.

So timings would work for either plan.

Wb1234

Referee
Wasn’t the original story he’d go do 6 months in Japan, then come back to Roosters on a way reduced contract (much lower than what Dragons were offering), and then everyone rightly kicked off saying ‘that’s a clear rort, that can’t happen’, so then the narrative changed to ‘he’s going to France and has always dreamed of being an All Black’ and the noise quietened down.

My bet…. Announces he’s leaving for Japan to realise his rugby union dream (and earning squillions)…. Lots of media releases about how we can’t afford to let such talent leave our game and we should do whatever we can to keep talent like him (media get to rehash all their lazy old articles about war chests and NRL central contracts for marquee players), fans of lesser teams complain and make loads of noise about how unfair that would be…. He leaves for Japan, no NRL central contract, but then after 6 months, wants to come back, misses first 10 rounds of 2025 and back to Roosters on a much reduced deal, way below market value. Media do stories celebrating his return, everyone is happy to get one over on Union, but in reality, the rort was always on.
Roosters have offered his money to jorgenson

but if teddy retires money and a space open up

Wb1234

Referee

“Where once Israel Folau’s $1m-plus deal ruffled feathers in the Wallabies environment, now his future teammates are thinking how one player is worth two or, in most cases, three times the value they are.

It’s a thorny subject that won’t go away anytime soon, particularly after most of the current crop of players were asked to take pay cuts during the Covid pandemic and are still being told there is no money in the game.”

dopes will never learn

Last edited:

gerg

Juniors
All good... short term sabbaticals in Japan have become increasingly common in NZ for All Blacks looking to bump their incomes. Beauden Barrett and Ardie Savea both signed one season deals (Barrett's actually with Verblitz himself) after last year's RWC which means they're missing this year's SR, but they'll both return in time for the test season to kick off in July.

So if Joey intends to do the dodgy, Japan is the place to do it.

That said, a one year deal may also be with the intention of moving back to NZ and pushing for an All Black spot. The Japanese season finishes in May-ish, NPC kicks off in Aug-ish and if he does well in both, he could earn an All Black EOY tour spot to further his development ahead of SR in '26 and the WC in '27.

So timings would work for either plan.

I mean, I can understand an NRL player following their dreams and switching to play for the Wallabies because history shows that is entirely achievable but it's not so easy to crack that AB side. Sonny was mostly used off the bench, RTS hardly got a shot. You would probably have a better idea of Manu's chances to crack that team tough? Does he have a genuine chance?

bazza

Immortal

“Where once Israel Folau’s $1m-plus deal ruffled feathers in the Wallabies environment, now his future teammates are thinking how one player is worth two or, in most cases, three times the value they are.

It’s a thorny subject that won’t go away anytime soon, particularly after most of the current crop of players were asked to take pay cuts during the Covid pandemic and are still being told there is no money in the game.”

dopes will never learn
that World Cup experience that they’ve all just had, that plays on peoples’ mind and it’s not necessarily the home run that maybe in the past we might have thought.

The experience with Eddie Jones has driven players out of the game

bazza

Immortal
I mean, I can understand an NRL player following their dreams and switching to play for the Wallabies because history shows that is entirely achievable but it's not so easy to crack that AB side. Sonny was mostly used off the bench, RTS hardly got a shot. You would probably have a better idea of Manu's chances to crack that team tough? Does he have a genuine chance?
I would guess that if he plays in Japan he is next to no chance of getting in the All Blacks

As a starter? Won’t be easy but certainly doable IMO.

Assuming he’s thinking midfield, Reiko Ioane and Jordie Barrett are an established pairing who are about the same age and have 60-70 tests behind them already so shifting them will be tough. But he just needs to make the squad and once there, he’s only an injury or form dip away from getting a shot. And with a new AB coach who may have new ideas, that’s even more opportunity.

But compared to Roger and Sonny there’s a few things there he will hopefully do differently or take advantage of.

With Roger, I think his size ultimately counted against him. There’s a preference here for big physical ball carriers in the 12 spot especially, someone who carries strong and sets up phase play and unfortunately that’s not Roger’s strength. I think he was also really really unlucky with covid cancelling his first NPC season. Going straight into SR was a shit deal.

With Sonny… he actually did better than most give him credit for. I think the fact he wasn’t a starter at any of his WCs clouds judgement, but he otherwise started 42 of his 58 tests. That said, ultimately the dude just kept chopping and changing too often. Starting off behind Nonu didn’t help, but nor did switching back to league for a couple of years, or jumping over to 7s. He never gave himself the opportunity to cement a WC starting spot, even for 2019 when Nonu was gone.

Joey could avoid all of that. He has the size that Roger lacked, if he starts in Japan he’ll get the grounding Roger couldn’t, and if he sticks out a full 3 seasons ahead of the WC, he’ll give himself a consistent runway Sonny chose to go without.

He’ll need a few others things to go his way but IMO he’s got all the tools to pull it off.

Matua

Bench
As @Thatwasnthighref notes SBW was pretty successful, being used off the bench isn't really a negative, his position was occupied by the best 12 we've probably ever had. But he was a key member as a finisher/impact sub of two RWC campaigns.

RTS actually got more of a shot than he deserved, if he wasn't RTS he wouldn't be an AB (not a slight on RTS, his switch was hindered by Covid, he couldn't play his first NPC as Auckland was under lockdown thanks to Gladys spreading Delta around Oz and NZ, so he missed crucial time getting up to speed with the game).

Manu has a good chance, I'd start him at wing until he gets reused to the game, which is what they should have done with RTS.

As @Thatwasnthighref notes SBW was pretty successful, being used off the bench isn't really a negative, his position was occupied by the best 12 we've probably ever had. But he was a key member as a finisher/impact sub of two RWC campaigns.

RTS actually got more of a shot than he deserved, if he wasn't RTS he wouldn't be an AB (not a slight on RTS, his switch was hindered by Covid, he couldn't play his first NPC as Auckland was under lockdown thanks to Gladys spreading Delta around Oz and NZ, so he missed crucial time getting up to speed with the game).

Manu has a good chance, I'd start him at wing until he gets reused to the game, which is what they should have done with RTS.
Yep good call, wing to start with makes good sense for Joey. Also agree wing would’ve made better sense for Roger too.

Still not sure why McDonald decided midfield for him. Only thing I could think of then was Roger’s lack of a long kicking game which he would’ve needed when falling back to cover for his 15. But I don’t recall Savea being much chop with the boot either, nor a few others. Weird one.

Chimp

Bench
Answered it for me - the Japan season is much shorter, and thus gets him back to the NRL in time for 2nd half of the season. The Japanese clubs would also be much more willing to ‘cut a deal’ which may see a player receive a big ‘third party’ payment. France teams would be less likely to do a 1 year deal too.

So let’s play hypothetical situations.

Dragons were reportedly willing to pay him $1.3m per season, which he declined. Roosters can only reportedly get to around $800k, which he’s declined.

He signs with Japanese club, who media reports/speculation say may be willing to pay him $1.5m for a short season (though there’s be nothing to stop them paying let’s say $1m, but a 3rd party benefactor from let’s say Sydney, could give him the extra $500k). He plays out the season, realises he’s really missed the NRL and wants to come back, but only to the Roosters, so is back for the 2nd half of the season. Roosters can still only afford $800k per year, so he signs a 2.5 year deal. Gets the $400k for year 1 for half a season.

So….
If he signed with the Dragons, he’d have earned $3.9m over that 3 year period and suffer the indignity of playing for the Dragons.

If he’d just signed with the Roosters, he’d have earned $2.4m (and everyone would have claimed a rort due to difference in earnings from Dragons offer)

Or he does the old Japan trick… he gets $1.5m for Japan, plus $400k from Roosters in year 1 - putting him at $1.9m for the year. Then 2 years at $800k, giving him a total of $3.6m over 3 years. And the Roosters get their man, for $800k per year. Equally, the Roosters could give him the full $800k in year 1, even though it’s just half a season, and he ends up earning $4m, so just above the Dragons offer.

Obviously that’s all speculation, but it’s not a far stretch, and certainly not beyond the realms of possibility. The rort is on!

taste2taste

Juniors
Answered it for me - the Japan season is much shorter, and thus gets him back to the NRL in time for 2nd half of the season. The Japanese clubs would also be much more willing to ‘cut a deal’ which may see a player receive a big ‘third party’ payment. France teams would be less likely to do a 1 year deal too.

So let’s play hypothetical situations.

Dragons were reportedly willing to pay him $1.3m per season, which he declined. Roosters can only reportedly get to around $800k, which he’s declined.

He signs with Japanese club, who media reports/speculation say may be willing to pay him $1.5m for a short season (though there’s be nothing to stop them paying let’s say $1m, but a 3rd party benefactor from let’s say Sydney, could give him the extra $500k). He plays out the season, realises he’s really missed the NRL and wants to come back, but only to the Roosters, so is back for the 2nd half of the season. Roosters can still only afford $800k per year, so he signs a 2.5 year deal. Gets the $400k for year 1 for half a season.

So….
If he signed with the Dragons, he’d have earned $3.9m over that 3 year period and suffer the indignity of playing for the Dragons.

If he’d just signed with the Roosters, he’d have earned $2.4m (and everyone would have claimed a rort due to difference in earnings from Dragons offer)

Or he does the old Japan trick… he gets $1.5m for Japan, plus $400k from Roosters in year 1 - putting him at $1.9m for the year. Then 2 years at $800k, giving him a total of $3.6m over 3 years. And the Roosters get their man, for $800k per year. Equally, the Roosters could give him the full $800k in year 1, even though it’s just half a season, and he ends up earning $4m, so just above the Dragons offer.

Obviously that’s all speculation, but it’s not a far stretch, and certainly not beyond the realms of possibility. The rort is on!
This is exactly what Jordan Rapana tried to do but the NRL said he wouldn't be allowed to play in Japan and NRL in the same year.

Assuming the Roosters are trying to pull a swiftie Manu won't be allowed to play in the NRL for the 2025 season.

I think Manus interest in Union is genuine and he won't be back. League only has itself to blame for treating internationals as a big joke and giving kiwis little to aspire to.

Latest posts