What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Matua

Bench
Part of me (just a part...) wants the Wahs to try grab Sotutu. I'd pay a lot of money to watch him give NRL a crack.
I'd rather he go to the WARRIORS (I will never use that saying ;) ) than wind up playing for England or Fiji.

It's like back in the day when Zinny signed for Manly and then Mains convinced him to stay, I was always gutted we didn't get to see him play league, but then his AB greatness was secured in that time period. Piri was another one who I wish we saw play.

In relation to Nawaqanitawase, he's highly unlikely to even get a crack in first grade at the Roosters this year, barring a major injury crisis. Robinson has already said as much publicly. Its more about getting him in early so he can work on adapting to the requirements of playing league.

Its expected he will spend his time, when he plays, in NSW Cup. The Roosters won't be looking to put him into first grade until 2025.

jim_57

Staff member
I'd love to see this guy in the NRL. Canan Moodie

Perth might have a decent chance at luring some South Africans if they wanted to try it. A Springbok would be an expensive gamble though I’d imagine, they demand good money in Union that NRL would have to match, plus they wouldn’t have any background with League unlike the Aus/NZ guys.

gerg

Juniors
Which is quite funny considering the trajectory of amateur club midfield back to first grade/test prop of Leo Thompson. Also, a lot of the NZ players in league have come from rugby.
Do you mean Leo Thompson who came through the Raiders Jersey Flegg side?

Do you mean Leo Thompson who came through the Raiders Jersey Flegg side?
…who grew up playing union in the school system here before switching.

But we’re getting into semantics over who developed who.

The point being made is there’s plenty of talent within union that could successfully transition to league. Whether they’re in union pathways like Thompson was, or established NPC/SR/test players like Savea, Sotutu etc.

Not all obviously; union tight forwards do a different job. But most other positions have an athletic type and/or skillset that is transferrable with the right development plan.

Anyone who blanket writes off union players just because they’re union players is missing the bigger picture. And the opportunities that presents.

taste2taste

Juniors

blocker will have to retire soon
If you look at that list of schoolboys a dozen are currently playing Union in private schools, including the curent Jnr Wallabies captian who has signed with West's.

Isn't it a bit risky letting these players go and play Union ? What if Rugby Australia decides they want to offer them big money to stay ?

Zach Fitler ( Freddies son ) currently plays Union for Scots College and hasn't decided which code he'll play long term.

Wb1234

Referee
If you look at that list of schoolboys a dozen are currently playing Union in private schools, including the curent Jnr Wallabies captian who has signed with West's.

Isn't it a bit risky letting these players go and play Union ? What if Rugby Australia decides they want to offer them big money to stay ?

Zach Fitler ( Freddies son ) currently plays Union for Scots College and hasn't decided which code he'll play long term.
Free scholarship is hard to say no too

it’s 30k a year there which parent doesn’t want their kid getting that education

and yeh it’s a risk

And just about all the kids league gets from there do all express a desire to play union even if it never happens

taste2taste

Juniors
…who grew up playing union in the school system here before switching.

But we’re getting into semantics over who developed who.

The point being made is there’s plenty of talent within union that could successfully transition to league. Whether they’re in union pathways like Thompson was, or established NPC/SR/test players like Savea, Sotutu etc.

Not all obviously; union tight forwards do a different job. But most other positions have an athletic type and/or skillset that is transferrable with the right development plan.

Anyone who blanket writes off union players just because they’re union players is missing the bigger picture. And the opportunities that presents.
The NRL is going to great lengths to get a couple of Americans into the NRL but ignoring the talent on our door step.

There's dozens of NZ Union players who aren't going to make the All Blacks who could transition over to league and be a success.

The NRL is going to great lengths to get a couple of Americans into the NRL but ignoring the talent on our door step.

There's dozens of NZ Union players who aren't going to make the All Blacks who could transition over to league and be a success.

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Rugby Australia doesn't have the $ to order a Big Mac meal for the Wallabies, let alone any decent players these days.

As to Zach Fittler, he's been playing SG Ball for the Roosters this year having previously played for the Roosters Harold Matthews team. I don't think he'll wind up in Union somehow. He's not the first league player to also play union whilst still at school.

Wb1234

Referee
Rugby Australia doesn't have the $ to order a Big Mac meal for the Wallabies, let alone any decent players these days.

As to Zach Fittler, he's been playing SG Ball for the Roosters this year having previously played for the Roosters Harold Matthews team. I don't think he'll wind up in Union somehow. He's not the first league player to also play union whilst still at school.
Not if his dad has anything to say about it

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
There's two categories of Union players.

1. Australian Union talent. There's not much there for the NRL to go after other than the odd wallaby because the best Rugby talent in Australia is already playing league.

2. New Zealand talent. This is the Union talent worth going after for the NRL as the best Rugby talent in NZ more or less is playing Union