What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby for Dummies (Trying to understand this sport!)

T. Rubble

Juniors
Hi, all! So I'm reading the rules on Wikipedia, and there are still things I don't get. For starters, does the term "footy" mean "rugby," in general, or is it specific to Rugby League or Rugby Union? Can it also mean Australian Rules Football or soccer? Further, which is bigger in Australia: Rugby League or Rugby Union? (I have tons more questions, but only for VERY patient people.) Thanks!

adamkungl

Immortal
Footy generally refers to the dominant code of football wherever it is used. In NSW and QLD, Rugby League. In other Australian state, AFL.

Rugby League is generally more popular than Rugby Union in Australia.

Where are you from?

T. Rubble

Juniors
Thanks, Adam!

I'm American (currently residing on the Northern Kentucky-side of Greater Cincinnati), but trying to understand this better for an Aussie character I'm writing.

So, if I've got this correctly, there is no forward-passing game in rugby, and the only way to score a "touchdown" is to literally touch the ball down in the end zone, at which point both of the player's feet need to be on the ground?

Chook Norris

First Grade
Correct, there is no forward passing in the game.
The only way to score a "try" as its called is to have your whole body within the field of play. ie you cant have any part of your body touching the sideline. Your feet do not have to be on the ground :)

here is a good example of a try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsZRolsfrOw

Last edited:

T. Rubble

Juniors
Thanks, Chook!

Can an intercepted pass be run for a try? (After a try has been successful, is it called an accomplishment?) Also, if a team has six attempts to complete a try, and the opposing team must retreat ten meters for each tackle, shouldn't a try be accomplished each time (or for every set of six)? How often is yardage--er, meterage?--lost with each play?

billy2

Juniors
It's called a 'try' because in the original form of the game you got no points for a 'touch down' - just a chance to try to kick a goal - and the winner was the team with the most goals.
You now get four points for the 'try' and a chance to kick a goal for an extra 2 points.
You should watch some footage on youtube or watch the state of origin match on Fox next week if you want to understand the game.
You'll never get it from reading the rules.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Yes an intercepted pass can lead to a try.

No, a try a is never called an accomplishment in a technical sense (a try can of course still be an accomplishment of sorts).

The opposing team must retreat 10 meters, except if they are already within 10 meters of their own try line.

Sometimes plays do end up with a team going backwards, but it is not that often, mostly arising near the opposing team's tryline because the defensive line is right in their faces.

This video may help you. It was commissioned by Russell Crowe to teach americans about rugby league by using references to american football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u_Z3Ie907o

Other than that, a lot of your questions would be answered by just watching a game.

T. Rubble

Juniors
Thanks, Miguel! That youtube video was VERY informative! :) From an American perspective, it looks kind of like if football and soccer gave birth to the Incredible Hulk.... (No blocking? Really? And all of those underhand, lateral passes! Kicking, bouncing, recovery, and no play stoppage! Cool!)

Okay, Billy and Miguel, I'm going to try to find a game somewhere on the Internet (I don't think American cable carries any). Just the short youtube video was waaaay more educational than all the time I spent reading the rules.

Thanks, everyone! :D

T. Rubble

Juniors
American cable does in fact carry some games.
I forget if the regular season is aired, but if you watch Fox Sports on June 15 you should see one of the best games of the year

Sweet! Thanks, Adam! :)

gUt: I was just outside talking to a couple of my neighbors (one of whom is from New Jersey and played hockey), and they can't agree who's tougher: rugby players or hockey players...?

Noa

First Grade
Think of the play the ball as snap, each tackle a down (we get 6, you get 4 before we both have to punt) and we have to take the kick for goal where the ball was placed down (which was a requirement in American football once upon a time)

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Sweet! Thanks, Adam! :)

gUt: I was just outside talking to a couple of my neighbors (one of whom is from New Jersey and played hockey), and they can't agree who's tougher: rugby players or hockey players...?
That is a tough question.

For toughness I would say even, but Ice Hockey players need more skill. Love the Blackhawks!!!

Evil Homer

Staff member
Honestly the best way to learn about the game would just be to watch it. Videos like this one will give you some idea of the skill and athleticism of the players. Rugby league is an easy sport to pick up and a great sport to watch so you should be able to understand it in no time.

One thing to note is that if you are writing about an Australian, make sure you make the distinction between rugby league and rugby union. They are totally different sports, union is a low slower and not really that popular in Australia. For Aussies, generally using 'rugby' on its own in the way you and many other Americans seem to do would be refering to union. Rugby league would often just be 'league', or 'footy', but never 'rugby' on its own. It sounds like I'm being picky, but most people aren't usually fans of both rugby league and rugby union so it's important to be clear about that.

adamkungl

Immortal
Honestly the best way to learn about the game would just be to watch it. Videos like this one will give you some idea of the skill and athleticism of the players. Rugby league is an easy sport to pick up and a great sport to watch so you should be able to understand it in no time.

Excellent video!

Noa

First Grade
Also passes cannot travel forward, same deal as when the ball goes past the line of scrimmage in the NFL.

Parra

Referee
I wouldn't worry about rugby union vs rugby league so much.

To an outsider the differences are not that clear or relevant.

To some insiders the differences are major points of contention.

It is like trying to explain Canadian football and American football to someone who understands neither. The differences do not really matter.

Noa

First Grade
^^^^^Union fan...If you like watching a ball being kicked from end to end youll love Union.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I wouldn't worry about rugby union vs rugby league so much.

To an outsider the differences are not that clear or relevant.

To some insiders the differences are major points of contention.

It is like trying to explain Canadian football and American football to someone who understands neither. The differences do not really matter.
Are you kidding?