What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Australia Most Popular Sport?

bipolarbob

Juniors
You do have rugby league, though
debatable if you watched Warrington this season....

but yes we do. f**k all else though. few pubs. loads of kids pissed up on a weekend trying to kill you...couple of parks. loads of traffic jams. more houses and people than the infrastructure was designed for and can cope with...usual British town actually!!

im actually looking forward to watching AFL...it seems to be a load of blokes with shite mullets and mussies running round an oval pitch with hardly any rules...
awesome!!

Perth Red

Post Whore

but yes we do. f**k all else though. few pubs. loads of kids pissed up on a weekend trying to kill you...couple of parks. loads of traffic jams. more houses and people than the infrastructure was designed for and can cope with...usual British town actually!!

im actually looking forward to watching AFL...it seems to be a load of blokes with shite mullets and mussies running round an oval pitch with hardly any rules...
awesome!!
Amazing stadium, dog of a game! I tried when I got to perth but after three eagles games I couldn’t go again lol. The local nrlwa comp is ok and a good Saturday afternoon amateur level for some beer and RL natter If you end up near a Local club.

mongoose

Coach

awesome!!
I got family in Warrington, unfortunately they don't follow "egg ball", they all Man City fans. Was a decent place though, i've been to much worse places in England lol

JLA

Juniors
If more people subscribe to Foxtel/Kayo to watch rugby league then why does AwFuL always get more money from Murdoch?

Either we're getting ripped off or the ratings are fabricated.

What possible reason could justify the discrepancy?
As AFL is more friendly to broadcasters, what I mean by that is has 4 quarters compared to 2 halves so more time to run ads, also on Free To Air they run ads after every try in NRL and goal in AFL there are like 20 plus goals in a game to NRL 5-7 trys so more time to run ads.

bipolarbob

Juniors
I got family in Warrington, unfortunately they don't follow "egg ball", they all Man City fans. Was a decent place though, i've been to much worse places in England lol
i guess warrington is a typical 'one horse' shit British town to be honest. yep there are worse places. yep there are better places.

bipolarbob

Juniors
Amazing stadium, dog of a game! I tried when I got to perth but after three eagles games I couldn’t go again lol. The local nrlwa comp is ok and a good Saturday afternoon amateur level for some beer and RL natter If you end up near a Local club.
deal!!

chunk

Juniors
I might be wrong but is Destination NSW paying for A-League Grand Finals to be held in Sydney. And if so does it matter that is government money?

As AFL is more friendly to broadcasters, what I mean by that is has 4 quarters compared to 2 halves so more time to run ads, also on Free To Air they run ads after every try in NRL and goal in AFL there are like 20 plus goals in a game to NRL 5-7 trys so more time to run ads.
Foxtel don't run advertising during live play.

Valheru

Coach
Foxtel don't run advertising during live play.

No but an AFL game broadcasts for a longer time frame and offers more opportunity to show adds on both FTA and pay TV.

In an NRL game on fox, they can show 2 lots of ads at half time. In an AFL game that expands to at least 4 counting the quarter breaks. The length of halftime means they might get a 3rd in at that point.

No but an AFL game broadcasts for a longer time frame and offers more opportunity to show adds on both FTA and pay TV.

In an NRL game on fox, they can show 2 lots of ads at half time. In an AFL game that expands to at least 4 counting the quarter breaks. The length of halftime means they might get a 3rd in at that point.
How much do they charge for advertising?

How much do they charge for advertising?
Found an old article, don’t know how accurate it is after a pandemic and all but gives a good idea. Surprised the NRL get more than the AFL for a GF ad placement.

The Seven and Nine networks executives are plotting to smack media buyers with huge price hikes after both networks forked out huge investments in new sports broadcast rights deals.

Both Channel Nine and Channel Seven have recently signed massive sports deals. News Corp, Telstra and Seven West Media signed a monster $2.5 billion six-year deal for AFL rights. On the other side of the sports field, Channel Nine secured the rights to the NRL until 2022 with a reported $925 million deal.

According to The Australian both Channel Nine (NRL) and Channel Seven (AFL) are set to introduce a price rise of about 30 per cent, taking the average cost of a 30 second ad during AFL or NRL match up to $39,000, from $30,000.

For an ad during the AFL and NRL grand final, once the new sport deals begin in 2017 and 2018, advertisers can expect to fork out an estimated $130,000 and $175,500 respectively.

Sales bosses from Seven and Nine declined to comment on the price hike, but both said the commercial model needed to change to accommodate the terms of the new deals.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Found an old article, don’t know how accurate it is after a pandemic and all but gives a good idea. Surprised the NRL get more than the AFL for a GF ad placement.

The Seven and Nine networks executives are plotting to smack media buyers with huge price hikes after both networks forked out huge investments in new sports broadcast rights deals.

Both Channel Nine and Channel Seven have recently signed massive sports deals. News Corp, Telstra and Seven West Media signed a monster $2.5 billion six-year deal for AFL rights. On the other side of the sports field, Channel Nine secured the rights to the NRL until 2022 with a reported $925 million deal.

According to The Australian both Channel Nine (NRL) and Channel Seven (AFL) are set to introduce a price rise of about 30 per cent, taking the average cost of a 30 second ad during AFL or NRL match up to $39,000, from $30,000.

For an ad during the AFL and NRL grand final, once the new sport deals begin in 2017 and 2018, advertisers can expect to fork out an estimated $130,000 and $175,500 respectively.

Sales bosses from Seven and Nine declined to comment on the price hike, but both said the commercial model needed to change to accommodate the terms of the new deals.
NRL rates better and has a much more massive impact with 55% of the population. The fact that our TV deals are constantly lower is criminal and a blight on our administration going back since TV deals first became a big deal.

mongoose

Coach
NRL rates better and has a much more massive impact with 55% of the population. The fact that our TV deals are constantly lower is criminal and a blight on our administration going back since TV deals first became a big deal.
the hard truth of it is they have more space to sell to advertisers than we do. They have reach into 5 metro's, while we have 3. Their game has more ad breaks than ours as well. The 55/45 or whatever split it is doesn't mean shit to advertisers.

the hard truth of it is they have more space to sell to advertisers than we do. They have reach into 5 metro's, while we have 3. Their game has more ad breaks than ours as well. The 55/45 or whatever split it is doesn't mean shit to advertisers.
How many 30 second commercials are broadcast during a rugby league and fumbleball game?

Each commercial is worth $30k. We'll have to watch an AwFuL and NRL game in Rd 1 to see how many ads are screened, then calculate the difference.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How many 30 second commercials are broadcast during a rugby league and fumbleball game?

Each commercial is worth $30k. We'll have to watch an AwFuL and NRL game in Rd 1 to see how many ads are screened, then calculate the difference.
How do you know the individual cost of each commercial during each game? My understanding is they buy block deals across various time slots during the week.

Valheru

Coach

No idea what the average is and this would differ between FTA and Pay TV.

I will say, the only AFL game I watched on FTA this year was the GF and they crammed a tonne of ads in during play to the point it was annoying, certainly the NRL GF didn't have as many minute for minute. I'm not sure if that is the typical situation week to week though.

Latest posts