What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Australia Most Popular Sport?

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I don't care whether its the most popular not not, its my favourite.
All this popularity crap is about insecurities. This thread can't even decide whether its talking about Rugby League or the NRL.
This just reminds me of the post of lies that the pussy of a sport, soccer is putting out there, conveniently leaving out netball and swimming.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Try beating Canada in Ice Hockey.

Their 4th line depth chart is better than most first lines.

I do always laugh at Baseball, World Series, hey at least soccer knows only two continents that have a chance, Baseball is like VFL, well nothing is that shyte. Baseball poor mans cricket.

VFL, for people who are hopeless at anything else.

Try beating Canada in Ice Hockey.

Their 4th line depth chart is better than most first lines.

I do always laugh at Baseball, World Series, hey at least soccer knows only two continents that have a chance, Baseball is like VFL, well nothing is that shyte. Baseball poor mans cricket.

VFL, for people who are hopeless at anything else.
Didn't Canada miss out on gold in men's ice hockey at the last two Olympics?

I think Venezuela prefers baseball over soccer. Same goes for a some central American countries.

bipolarbob

Juniors
League is a much better sport than AFL.
no one saying it isnt. im lucky at the moment, i live in warrington in the uk. its a league town. not got a soccer team (it has but they are semi-amateur) so its league all the way.
Once I get to Perth what do i watch? AFL is it then and wait for an origin match. ill still watch the NRL on TV (i have the nrl app over here in blighty) so ill have the best of both worlds.

Fangs

Coach
no one saying it isnt. im lucky at the moment, i live in warrington in the uk. its a league town. not got a soccer team (it has but they are semi-amateur) so its league all the way.
Once I get to Perth what do i watch? AFL is it then and wait for an origin match. ill still watch the NRL on TV (i have the nrl app over here in blighty) so ill have the best of both worlds.

You are a most agreeable man.

LimeRick

Juniors
AFL has great crowds, league has great TV ratings, soccer has great participation.

It's hard to compare the sports' popularity when they have different strengths, but at the end of the day, does it really matter?

I think we're pretty lucky. Anybody in Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne can regularly watch the premier competition of three sports (or near premier, how does Super Rugby rate these days?), and a semi-decent soccer league.

Wb1234

Immortal
I don't care whether its the most popular not not, its my favourite.
All this popularity crap is about insecurities. This thread can't even decide whether its talking about Rugby League or the NRL.
This just reminds me of the post of lies that the pussy of a sport, soccer is putting out there, conveniently leaving out netball and swimming.
That’s a fair post

I get the feeling that a lot of afl fans in nsw and qld support it bc of the bandwagon effect

people just see big afl crowds and want to say they are a fan

Wb1234

Immortal
AFL has great crowds, league has great TV ratings, soccer has great participation.

It's hard to compare the sports' popularity when they have different strengths, but at the end of the day, does it really matter?

I think we're pretty lucky. Anybody in Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne can regularly watch the premier competition of three sports (or near premier, how does Super Rugby rate these days?), and a semi-decent soccer league.
Why can’t we compare ?

afl claims it’s number one in Australia

it is on some metrics it isn’t on others

this article combines tv ratings and crowds and shows rugby league is number one

It’s a fair argument imo

just because more rugby league fans are paying to watch the game on kayo or foxsports (and in numbers which annhialites afl) instead of going to games like afl fans it’s still a fan for the sport and should be counted

Why can’t we compare ?

this article combines tv ratings and crowds and shows rugby league is number one

It’s a fair argument imo

just because more rugby league fans are paying to watch the game on kayo or foxsports (and in numbers which annhialites afl) instead of going to games like afl fans it’s still a fan for the sport and should be counted
If more people subscribe to Foxtel/Kayo to watch rugby league then why does AwFuL always get more money from Murdoch?

Either we're getting ripped off or the ratings are fabricated.

What possible reason could justify the discrepancy?

Nuke

Staff member
Partially it is because we're being ripped off.
Partially it is because aussie rules oversells itself and Rugby League undersells itself.
And partially (but probably greater than the previous point), it is because aussie rules is seen as a more 'national' sport than the east coast Rugby League. Networks love that kinda thing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Welcome to perth! The weather and lifestyle more than makes up for lack of professional rugby league. We might even have a club in the next ten years lol

LimeRick

Juniors
Why can’t we compare ?

It’s a fair argument imo

I'm not saying you can't compare, but you're not going to get a clear number 1 with so much variation between different metrics.

If one sport had the highest TV ratings, highest crowds and highest participation, sure, crown them number 1, but it's so subjective about which metric is most important.

Can each spectator be counted equally? 50k in a stadium is worth more than 50k watching on TV. It might show that the NRL has more casual fans, but the AFL has more passionate fans.

And participation isn't like-for-like. I've played soccer before, but I've never been to an A League game. Or even watched a full one on TV.

So, I agree it's fun to compare the individual metrics, but it's hard to paint a full picture with them.

westerntiger

Juniors
The fact that AFLmao/AFLlol/AwFuL/aerial ping pong still exists is a travesty. Gets away with turning a blind eye to systemic racism and the sport itself is a ridiculous hit and giggle. No skill required just aimless running and kicking. The NRL really needs to get into gear and start selling itself properly.

Wb1234

Immortal
I'm not saying you can't compare, but you're not going to get a clear number 1 with so much variation between different metrics.

If one sport had the highest TV ratings, highest crowds and highest participation, sure, crown them number 1, but it's so subjective about which metric is most important.

Can each spectator be counted equally? 50k in a stadium is worth more than 50k watching on TV. It might show that the NRL has more casual fans, but the AFL has more passionate fans.

And participation isn't like-for-like. I've played soccer before, but I've never been to an A League game. Or even watched a full one on TV.

So, I agree it's fun to compare the individual metrics, but it's hard to paint a full picture with them.
Sure you can compare

afl fans for 20 years were saying their sport was number one

where were you then ?

only jumping out of the box when people say it’s rugby league ?

i mean who knows how many freebies are given out by the afl ? Who knows if crowd figures are even accurate (giants and suns crowds seem really really sus)?

his many kids are getting into the mcg for 2 dollars a ticket whilst the ticket price at nrl games is usually 20 or 30 times that figure

rugby league beats afl on social media too. Maybe for so long we’ve just been exaggerating how big afl really is in comparison to rugby league

anyway I like this survey I hope we get more like them