What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby league crisis not hitting WA interest

Loudstrat

Coach
Lets see them get 15k to quite a few matches first. I would have thought 15k pretty poor - dunno trhe config of MES though.

Still recall the largest ever paying gate at the WACA was Parra v Balmain back in the early 90's - about 30k from memory. We get half that - not a sign of strong interest at all.

Brutus

Referee
Lets see them get 15k to quite a few matches first. I would have thought 15k pretty poor - dunno trhe config of MES though.

Still recall the largest ever paying gate at the WACA was Parra v Balmain back in the early 90's - about 30k from memory. We get half that - not a sign of strong interest at all.

15k is hardly poor.

Compare that to the crowds the AFL were getting on the Gold Coast before they decided on a team there. And an area that gets plenty of AFL in both print and on TV.

15k for Perth, considering the game is virtually ignored over there would be great result.

Parramatta played Cronulla at the WACA in 1991 and there were just over 18k there...

Avenger

Immortal
While I was living in Perth I watched the local Rugby League grand final. There was a crowd of about 6000 people. I freaked. The atmosphere was also great.

Perth needs a team.

Loudstrat

Coach
15k is hardly poor.

Compare that to the crowds the AFL were getting on the Gold Coast before they decided on a team there. And an area that gets plenty of AFL in both print and on TV.

15k for Perth, considering the game is virtually ignored over there would be great result.

Just because AFL is a dumb sh*t code doesn't mean we have to be. AFL would have gone to the Gold Coast if no one had turned up.

Parramatta played Cronulla at the WACA in 1991 and there were just over 18k there...
And also played Balmain. I remember Mark Bugden beating the crap out of Elias.

Perth Red

Post Whore

In the 90's RL was in the papers, on the TV and the AFL cartel hadn't taken over the city. Different eras can't be compared. Are you suggesting any potential area for a NRl team shouldn't be considered if they are only getting 15,000 to expo games?

Ultimately given 75% of clubs in the NRL are averging around the 15,000 or less, a 15,000 crowd for two out of town teams with virtually ZERO profile for the game due to neglect is brilliant. I think it will be nearer 12-13,000 by the way.

I agree we need to show it a few times and hopefully if the NRL deem us worthy they may actually support some more games being played here.

How are the CC crowds in comparison given that is the other place we are talking of as fave for a team?

in terms of the stadium, capacity is supposed to be 18,500 but I doubt it! There are about 4,500 standing spaces behind the North end sticks and the rest is seating. Only about 2,000 of the seats have any cover the rest of the ground is open.

There is plans for a major upgrade soon, hopefully, that will see a new covered manin East stand and capacity up to around 24,000.

rabbitohs

Juniors
Thought I would just chuck it in here as it doesn't deserve it's own thread but is kind of related to good things outside the heartlands.

The middle school kids at my school were banned from playing soccer because the ball was going over the fences all the time. They started playing aussie rules but I innocently suggested that be banned as the ball could go over just as easily....instead I took a rugby ball down and now I have 50 of the little buggers in northern Adelaide playing league every lunch and recess :) RESULT. Stealth growth.

Thought I would just chuck it in here as it doesn't deserve it's own thread but is kind of related to good things outside the heartlands.

The middle school kids at my school were banned from playing soccer because the ball was going over the fences all the time. They started playing aussie rules but I innocently suggested that be banned as the ball could go over just as easily....instead I took a rugby ball down and now I have 50 of the little buggers in northern Adelaide playing league every lunch and recess :) RESULT. Stealth growth.

:clap::clap::clap:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Haha well done you sneaky bastard.

LESStar58

Referee
It's surprising how many Storm shirts and caps you see around Perth (probably as there is a bit of a link given that is where alot of players and staff from the Reds ended up). Having said that there are heaps of Sth's fans in Perth so we will be outnumbered Noa!

I went to an old NSL game (Glory vs Adelaide) in 2004 at MES in my Storm jersey. I got some WEIRD looks!

LESStar58

Referee

:lol::lol:

:clap: :clap:

Cheeky dog!

_Johnsy

Referee
I went to an old NSL game (Glory vs Adelaide) in 2004 at MES in my Storm jersey. I got some WEIRD looks!

Mate that will happen anywhere outside Melbourne, actually you'll probably get some from the weirdos over at the MCG.

LESStar58

Referee
Mate that will happen anywhere outside Melbourne, actually you'll probably get some from the weirdos over at the MCG.

Not really. A few rounds ago some girls who had been across the road stopped me at the pedestrian crossing and asked how the Storm did and then commented on how they could hear our fireworks over 70K at the 'G.

People take a fleeting interest here now more than ever.

_Johnsy

Referee
Not really. A few rounds ago some girls who had been across the road stopped me at the pedestrian crossing and asked how the Storm did and then commented on how they could hear our fireworks over 70K at the 'G.

People take a fleeting interest here now more than ever.

Good to hear, if you had the big red V on Lesstar it would have been an eventfull afternoon/evening/weekend with the gals. ;-)

Latest posts