What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby league in Sydney's ethnic communities

Angry_eel

First Grade
Indians(my community) don't normally get down and dirty into league because of the following the cricket religion but alot of indians now live in parra, the meads and surrunding suburbs so i guess that is having an effect. Indians also live in North Shore so Manly could also be another team they follow. ofcourse, it doesn't mean they'll folow those teams but communities generally follow teams in the area they live in. e.g. canterbury and lebanese communtiy.

drake

First Grade
An41 said:
nah the school was mostly roosters bangwagon jumpers.
and hey those bottle green shirts were cool

Things musta changed. Noone went for the chooks when I went to school (Down the road at Maroubra Junction High)

Armenians (if anyone knows who we are) are starting to get pretty involved with rugby league. Manly and St George would be the most supported teams

Armenians are Saints fans? Maybe we can get the System of a Down boys to do a version of "Oh when the Saints"

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
From people i've met..

Italians - Tigers mostly, Dragons
Greeks - Tigers as well, Dragons
Lebanese - Bulldogs, Dragons, Eels, Tigers, Raiders, Souths
Chinese - Dragons, Bulldogs
Kiwis - Warriors, Raiders, Tigers.

ByRd

First Grade
Im christian andall the people i go to the footy with and alot of people i know that go are all christians too, so these generalisations are just stupid and dont apply like people think they do.

Pantherjim.

Referee
I don't think that you can generalise any race supporting a particular club. Penrith, although predominantly Anglo-Saxon has quite a few Fillipino and Indian people living here. Most of which support Penrith. Khalid my barber is Lebanese and he supports the Panthers as well. A friend of mine whom I work with is a Cardiologist, is also Lebanese and supports Penrith because he lives here.

Utey

Coach
Maltese are loving league, whomever they follow they tend to get right into it.

aqua_duck

Coach
Asians don't tend to support any single team, more like a mix.

In terms of playing, we just aren't built for it, also parents don't encourage it.
I'm about 180cm and 86kg, and I'm considered very big for an asian, alot of asians have bodies more suited to AFL for example more than anything else.
I guess you do get a few freaks though like Dat Nguyen of the Dallas Cowboys, but in general asians just can't handle the physicality of a contact sport.

Pantherjim.

Referee
aqua_duck said:
In terms of playing, we just aren't built for it, also parents don't encourage it.
I'm about 180cm and 86kg, and I'm considered very big for an asian, alot of asians have bodies more suited to AFL for example more than anything else.

Fullback? 5/8? Half? Winger? Hooker?

Our current 5/8 is 165cm and 75kg. Our Fullback is not much bigger.

Just because your build is slim and you're short doesn't mean that you can't play Rugby League.

cainen

Juniors
Pantherjim. said:
Fullback? 5/8? Half? Winger? Hooker?

Our current 5/8 is 165cm and 75kg. Our Fullback is not much bigger.

Just because your build is slim and you're short doesn't mean that you can't play Rugby League.

We had a bloke with an asian sounding name playing for prem league last year..what was his name? Ching/Chong/Wang something like that. I think his first name was Matthew though...

He was pretty big, played in the second row I think.

Angry_eel

First Grade
aqua_duck said:
Asians don't tend to support any single team, more like a mix.

I guess you do get a few freaks though like Dat Nguyen of the Dallas Cowboys, but in general asians just can't handle the physicality of a contact sport.
come one mate, preston cambell puts any asian to shame because of the height.

Pantherjim.

Referee
cainen said:
We had a bloke with an asian sounding name playing for prem league last year..what was his name? Ching/Chong/Wang something like that. I think his first name was Matthew though...

He was pretty big, played in the second row I think.

Yeah, I remember that as well. I think his name was Wang but I could be wrong.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
The Roosters naturally have a Jewish following, probably same with Manly and Norths (when there were here). as for me, well its obvious-go the chooks!