What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Player's Social Lives

Eels Dude

Coach
Everybody seems to get so precious about the "image" of the game. I think we've all been blinded by this claptrap.

If Mel Gibson plays-up, gets pizzed or whatever, the public doesn't slam the movie industry and then all threaten to turn to watching grass grow. No, we all say "what a wanker" or "what a player" but we don't hold the industry responsible.

Everybody should be judged by their actions and then the law. Myles shat in a hotel hallway, how is that Rugby League's fault or the Rorters, for that matter? Benji's brain explosion or whatever, is his brain explosion. The facts aren't even out, so perhaps everybody should just wait until there is something more than a journo's report.

What's happened to not releasing names until there has been some proof - no matter what happens now this guy will be slammed for it - guilty or not.

Fair points. The movie industry doesn't really compete with anything though. Whereas the NRL is a competition which competes against other sports. So while what you say is true, it's not a good comparison.

And on your second point they never really suppress names unless it's due to minors being involved or protection. Same like Brett Stewart or even Sam Ayoub last week... as long as there is evidence to charge them then their names won't be hidden.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I was discussing this in the other thread but it seems to have upset someone. IMO the issue goes wider than any single incident.

If a player does something majorly wrong, then sure... the game is better off without them. But in the vast majority of cases, these 'scandals' are blown way out of proportion.

IMO, we watch the players for what they do on the field. Bringing a player's minor personal indiscretions into the game is a waste of space. I want to watch them play. It is not our place to dictate what they do off the field. Despite what some people think, we don't own them.

Having said that, off the field most players give their time to fans regularly, signing autographs, getting their photos taken. Then there's all the work they do for the community. None of this is newsworthy, it seems.

But when some player is seen getting into a scuffle or taking a piss in a bush, then it's front page news. The morality cops feed this form of media. They talk of 'role models'. But none of the wowsers are as keen to praise the same players when they show up at schools and hospitals or raise money for charity. If there's a morality to this, it is the screwed up sense of values the tabloids and their consumers seem to have. They have their priorities all upside-down.

And the hypocrites who promote this crap are often far from cleanskins themselves. Moreover, the gossip columnists are the first to cry foul when their own indiscretions are published.

Quigs

Immortal
I agree Willow.

One DUI Bec for instance.

And why didnt anyone stand up and defend Matty, instead of crucifying him for something that happend AND WAS INVESTIGATED some 7 or so years prior.

In my opinion the League has created this monster of sensationalising nothing events by not sticking up and going to bat for some of the minor offences that have gone on. They remained silent while some of the incidents were blown all out or proportion.

OK some are serious, but that happens in all walks of life.

Fair dinkum some of these people should have reality checks.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
And what about the BS written about the Bulldogs during the Coffs Harbour episode when if someone had bothered to check with the police, they were innocent. This was an absolute disgrace and happens over and over yet the media is never held accountable.

Eels Dude

Coach
I agree Willow.

One DUI Bec for instance.

And why didnt anyone stand up and defend Matty, instead of crucifying him for something that happend AND WAS INVESTIGATED some 7 or so years prior.

In my opinion the League has created this monster of sensationalising nothing events by not sticking up and going to bat for some of the minor offences that have gone on. They remained silent while some of the incidents were blown all out or proportion.

OK some are serious, but that happens in all walks of life.

Fair dinkum some of these people should have reality checks.

The problem is while a lot of league fans couldn't give a sh*t.... it still makes the news. If you look at the telegraph and comments from such 'outrageuous' incidents such as this, they're not from NRL fans but from people who don't take an interest in the sport at all. And the people calling up talkback aren't league fans, probably not even sports fan. But they call up for something to talk about. As long as league scandals continue to make decent headlines the media will continue to report about non issues. Sadly.

It will end up like the English Premier League. There if a team like Man United want to have a night out, they hire the whole venue, make it invite only and have heaps of security guards.

Benji would have been better to have a minder, let the minder hit the guy. Headline then reads Benji's minder hits man, not Benji hits man.

Quigs

Immortal
The problem is while a lot of league fans couldn't give a sh*t.... it still makes the news. If you look at the telegraph and comments from such 'outrageuous' incidents such as this, they're not from NRL fans but from people who don't take an interest in the sport at all. And the people calling up talkback aren't league fans, probably not even sports fan. But they call up for something to talk about. As long as league scandals continue to make decent headlines the media will continue to report about non issues. Sadly.

Well thats where you problem lies. You listen to radio talkback. I believe that finally most thinking people are starting to realise what fools and tunnel visioned grubs most talk back jocks are.

They get paid money to whip imbeciles up into a frenzy.

The guilty pay for comment grubs are the worst.

Just sit back and take a look at our main stream media and the main players involved.

It's all about $$$$$$$$

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
Well thats where you problem lies. You listen to radio talkback. I believe that finally most thinking people are starting to realise what fools and tunnel visioned grubs most talk back jocks are.

Just sit back and take a look at our main stream media and the main players involved.

It's all about $$$$$$$$

Actually I don't listen to talkback radio. Got sick of the agendas and specifically in regards to rugby league Hadley's gibberish a long time ago. Just like you describe. But not everyone is smart enough to do that hence why these non issues have such an impact. If it's bad now it'll be 10 times worse in 10 years.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I encountered a friend tonight who doesn't follow RL too closely but saw the Benji thing on the news. The way whichever news she watched had reported it must have put it across as he was drunk, at Kings Cross and being a knob... sensationalist, untrue garbage. Having to explain the actual truth to someone who hears the crap the media puts out is frustrating.

The truth will come out eventually but I think Benji's acted in self defence here.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

It's all about $$$$$$$$

It's quite sad actually. The two mainstream talkback radio stations are so obviously pro-Liberal... but portray themselves as "taking on the issues" rather than "towing the Liberal Party line". Then there's the shock jock angle... it's all quite sad. I used to listen to GB every now and again but now it's pretty much only on the weekends for the CC team. The weekday presenters (Hadley included) exist solely to get Tony Abbott and Fatty O'Barrell elected.

gronkathon

First Grade
I understand the calls to "name and shame" this other bufoon but in reality it shouldn't happen. The media crosses that line once and gets away with it than there is no protection for genuine victims from media scrutiny

Drax

Juniors
Why doesn't the media run an article with a picture of the guy who abused Marshal
with the headline "Racist man abuses Rugby League Star"??

The media open the door for this type of treatment to players.

^_^

Juniors
Its as if a club needs someone to record their players movement 24/7 just so they can have an alibi. Terrible situation :(

Brutus

Referee
And the hypocrites who promote this crap are often far from cleanskins themselves. Moreover, the gossip columnists are the first to cry foul when their own indiscretions are published.

Yes. I notice Weidler had another dig at DUI Bec in his column at the weekend, suggesting she was strangley quiet on the Todd Carney drink-driving affair.

Canard

Immortal
Why doesn't the media run an article with a picture of the guy who abused Marshal
with the headline "Racist man abuses Rugby League Star"??

Wouldn't that be defamation?

Whilst I tend to think that Benji's version of events is near to the truth, I don't think we can assume any allegation to be true just because of our familiarity with the guy and previous similiar results.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
The two sides of the story differ on key points.

If events unfolded as Benji's manager said, then most people would think the guy deserved a punch in the mouth (even though it's technically a crime) and shouldn't have sooked to police.

If they happened as the victim reported to police, then you'd have to say Benji was being a major tool and playing the "race card" is a pretty shabby way to try to defend your actions.

None of us can know for sure what really happened. I'll reserve judgement until facts are clarified ... and even then I mostly don't care.

At the end of the day, there won't be too many consequences for Benji because it doesn't really sound like it was that serious. No point in blowing it out of proportion.

But similarly, footy players - particularly high profile ones - need to accept that their fame puts crosshairs on them for hecklers and morons everywhere. They need to accept that reality and minimise their personal risk. No matter how many people think they SHOULD have a right to some privacy and be able to go out for a beer/burger at 3am ... the reality is that's a recipe for disaster. You don't see Brad Pitt or even the television weather man hanging around any old pub at 3am - it's just common sense.

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
The two sides of the story differ on key points.

If events unfolded as Benji's manager said, then most people would think the guy deserved a punch in the mouth (even though it's technically a crime) and shouldn't have sooked to police.

If they happened as the victim reported to police, then you'd have to say Benji was being a major tool and playing the "race card" is a pretty shabby way to try to defend your actions.

None of us can know for sure what really happened. I'll reserve judgement until facts are clarified ... and even then I mostly don't care.

At the end of the day, there won't be too many consequences for Benji because it doesn't really sound like it was that serious. No point in blowing it out of proportion.

But similarly, footy players - particularly high profile ones - need to accept that their fame puts crosshairs on them for hecklers and morons everywhere. They need to accept that reality and minimise their personal risk. No matter how many people think they SHOULD have a right to some privacy and be able to go out for a beer/burger at 3am ... the reality is that's a recipe for disaster. You don't see Brad Pitt or even the television weather man hanging around any old pub at 3am - it's just common sense.

I wish you were my dad.......

Angry_eel

First Grade
Benji is the only one to be blamed in this. A few days after the media interviewed him about the curse of the face-of-the-competition, he was out partying at 3AM.

Sure there are idiots out there who will abuse you or taunt you into fighting. However, you should be the bigger man and try to avoid confrontation.

Latest posts