What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Rugby League Rules Ideas and Areas of Inprovement

xe_kilroy

Juniors
I want to see more game time. Either increase the halves to 45 minutes, or better, stop the clock with all stoppages of play.
I remember they changed the rules some years ago to do that but for some reason they changed it back a year later. Maybe the players complaining?

gUt

Coach
To get rid of the bye, one game per week should be played on a triangular field between 3 teams, with 2 balls in play. The team that wins gets 3 points, the team coming second gets 1 and the losing team get reloacted to Perth for the next week. Broadcasters would be required to call the action with 2 callers at once, with fans at the ground treated to a continually rotating grandstand to allow an even viewing experience.

T-Boon

Coach
Make it 40-30 and also go back to when 40-20s were a scrum rather than a straight line of defense. Whose stupid idea was that change?

Last edited:
To get rid of the bye, one game per week should be played on a triangular field between 3 teams, with 2 balls in play. The team that wins gets 3 points, the team coming second gets 1 and the losing team get reloacted to Perth for the next week. Broadcasters would be required to call the action with 2 callers at once, with fans at the ground treated to a continually rotating grandstand to allow an even viewing experience.
Nonsensical, hare-brained, outlandish, farcical.

Maybe trial it in Melbourne first.

taste2taste

Juniors
1) no 6 agains from a charge down, if a team gets thier kick charged down they shouldn't be rewarded with 6 again.

2) no knock on from a 1 on 1 strip, if the ball is stripped out forward it should be play on.

3) knock on is only called if the ball hits the ground, if the ball is lost forward into an opposing player re gathered it should be play on

4) an overall loosing on knock on interpretation, at the moment if a ball hits the ground it's a knock on. Knock ons should only be called if the ball is lost obviously forward. This would allow for more risky footy if teams weren't petrified of being called for a knock on every time the ball hits the ground.

2) no knock on from a 1 on 1 strip, if the ball is stripped out forward it should be play on.
Absolutely. If possession changes, tackle 1. If possession is regained, continue the existing tackle count. Either way, just play on. Let the players and the laws of physics control who has the football.

Too many instances at present where possession is determined by the guesswork and painstaking deliberations of officials. The most likely consequence of any contest for the ball is a whistle.

Someguy

First Grade
Short drop outs are high percentage and take away from forcing a drop out. Allow the receiving team to catch the ball inside 10m to up the risk for the kicking team.

7 tackle set rule was brought in to stop halves booting the ball out the back to stop kick returns. The rule has had unintended results, a short attacking kick defused or gone wrong results in a 20 tap and 7 tackle set against a retreating defensive line. The long kick that it was meant to stop never results in a quick 20m tap because players are still coming back onside. Just make a kick from further than half way that goes out the back of the in goal a penalty at the 20m(exempt field goal attempts) and be done with it

and totally agree with the strip changes mentioned. If the ball is stripped it should be treated like a charge down and just a live ball for someone to collect. Too hard to determine who touched the ball with what part and the direction.

T.S Quint

Coach
I'd be happy if they just got rid of the 7 tackle set altogether. I didn't think it was that much of a problem when players were purposely kicking it dead all those years ago anyway.

Valheru

Coach
1) no 6 agains from a charge down, if a team gets thier kick charged down they shouldn't be rewarded with 6 again.

3) knock on is only called if the ball hits the ground, if the ball is lost forward into an opposing player re gathered it should be play on

4) an overall loosing on knock on interpretation, at the moment if a ball hits the ground it's a knock on. Knock ons should only be called if the ball is lost obviously forward. This would allow for more risky footy if teams weren't petrified of being called for a knock on every time the ball hits the ground.
Number 1 is a winner and is long overdue

Number 2 I cna live with

Don't like number 3 at all, defenders shouldn't be disadvantaged for being there.

Number 4 is a tough one, they do over call it but don't want to be like rugby where you have to lose a ball 3m forward for it to be a knock on.

Valheru

Coach
I would like to see a lot of the full arm penalties with the ball be changed to simple turn overs.

Turning the ball over for a shepherd/obstruction is enough of a penalty without losing 30m of territory and/or conceding 2 points.

Same with passing off the ground and if anyone can enlighten me as to why it is treated differently to a pass after held being called that would be appreciated.

Double movement is another one, losing the ball is a sufficient penalty without losing territory and (theoretically) the possibility of 2 points.

I also can't stand the 6 again rule when a player touches the ball trying to make a tackle. It rewards shit attack and punishes good defence. I know there were issues when intent was part of the rules but just use common sense, it is pretty obvious if someone is trying to play at the ball or make a tackle.

Exsilium

First Grade
I’d be more worried about them properly implementing the current rules consistently for all the teams before adding any new rules.

And therein lies the rub.

They try to reinvent the game every year with something new but forget to fix what they’ve been getting so wrong for a decade.

Exsilium

First Grade
5m rule would reduce the wrestle and bring back 1 marker. It would reward teams who have a better kicking game and force them to ballplay instead of the 4-5x hitups.
I like the novelty of the 5m rule but the game is much faster and players are more athletic, fitter and bigger now, so we'd complain about it being boring like RU. Teams would be spending more time in the middle of the field instead of the ends.

I was thinking we could all just log into the NRL app and just press buttons based on what we think the ruling should be.

Imagine the chaos? Every South’s fan and his dog would be voting for whatever suited their team on the night.

Also, tough game on the weekend. I was torn and wanted a hell yeah but I wasn’t able to watch the game cause either way my heart would be broken.

This Year?

Immortal
I was thinking we could all just log into the NRL app and just press buttons based on what we think the ruling should be.

Imagine the chaos? Every South’s fan and his dog would be voting for whatever suited their team on the night.

Also, tough game on the weekend. I was torn and wanted a hell yeah but I wasn’t able to watch the game cause either way my heart would be broken.

That would be funny.

*Cody Walker scores a try against the Dragons which goes to the decision for the ruling*

This comes up on the big screen:
withcrowd_640.gif

Tough game but it is what it is. For Karma's sake one man's happiness is another man's joy. Hell yeah!

Someguy

First Grade
Need it written into the rules if something is subjective or black and white. Obstruction that goes bunker sometimes sees a ‘player obstructed but didn’t effect the play’ when other times an obstruction away from play is called instantly

siv

First Grade

What about bookies, crookes or their pawns logging in so they win some sort of exotic bets

Latest posts