What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League take note:

Estoboy

Juniors
The current financial crisis should serve as a dire warning for Rugby League

As a fan I can see that the game is very over-valued. It is not worth the money being spent on it. 20,000 to a semi already proves my point.

The current financial crisis in Wall St has been brought on by banks thinking that they can shift debt to other institutions with the attitude of "its not mine, someone else can sort it out". As Costello predicted, it was only a matter of time before someone figured out that there was too much money in the system and the whole thing was just WAY too over the top.

The same thing WILL happen with the NRL; specifically with the highly paid players.
Benji is not worth $400,000
Sonny is not worth $400,000
Orford is not worth $500,000

$300,000 absolute TOPS for the most HIGHLY rated players, and even that is pushing it.

League fans, I kid you not that the sponsors of your clubs will be looking at their books and asking "is our $500,000 a year sponsorship of this team actually worth that money?" and they will figure out that it isn't. A $4m cap is already at the peak of what league can afford. Any more and we will be as guilty as those people in New York who shifted bad debt into packages and sold them in London. Gasnier and Sonny and all the players who left have done us a service by leaving because honestly the league, as an economy of its own, could only afford what they were being paid - no more!

Further more, the league can't afford to spend time and money on teams like Melbourne. They offer nothing. I ask you which is better:

1: 44,000 PAX sold out SFS with 20,000 wanting tickets (Tigers v Dragons) or
2: 20,000 PAX half empty stadium (yay cronulla!)

which is better? Because, as a code, Rugby League can not survive with teams like Melbourne in the comp. Simple demand and supply shows that a condense and local comp would provide a richer and more popular game in Sydney and Brisbane. Limited yes, but more able to battle out the economic tsunami that is approaching.

*end boiled up rant*

westie

Bench
Melbourne is essential in terms of bringing in TV money. Which is obviously the main potential income stream for professional sport. A decent TV deal brought on by owning the east coast will make our players more valuable than they are now.

Last edited:

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
$300,000 absolute TOPS for the most HIGHLY rated players, and even that is pushing it.
Fact of the matter is that whilst that would be nice, it's also impractical. Limit a player's earnings to $300 k and expect the bulk of the NRL's best talent to go elsewhere.

Love of the game will only get you so far. With SL and Union offering far more than your projected salary ceiling, why should our best choose to continue playing League?

Nuke

Staff member
The same thing WILL happen with the NRL; specifically with the highly paid players.
He also doesn't play League anymore, let alone in the NRL.

c_eagle

Juniors
Wtf? Why would any sponsor say they are undervalued when League dominates print media and is shown on Free to air to massive audiences? (The only winter sport in NSW and QLD popular on FTA)

Where have you come up with the figure that 400k is too much for a player? Have you worked out the turnover of the league and every club? This is actually one of the silliest rants I'm yet to see here.

Btw, without Melbourne, Telstra wouldn't be a sponsor. That already covers their losses.

beads6

First Grade
The NRL is being run into the ground by Mr Gallop.. He needs to take action and fast or we could lose our game forever!! The Salary cap needs to go and any teams who can't compete need to also.. We need to have a two tier system much like other competitions around the world..

Thank God you are not the CEO of the game.
Yeah, lets get rid of Melbourne from the comp. That will really increase the value of the game. IDIOT!
Why do you think the AFL is wanting teams in the Gold Coast and western Sydney? Is it because there is demand for the sport in those areas? Nope. It is because they understand that expansion into those areas is the ONLY way to grow their game.
But you come along with a bright idea to contract the game. Brilliant. Proves you are an idiot. But that is about it.
Leave you in charge of the sport, and it will quickly go backwards into oblivion.

bartman

Immortal
I tend to agree that some players and their greedy managers have unrealistic views of what they should be earning.

Player wages were inflated during the super league war, and they have come down. But given the way very few clubs stand on their own feet with grants from their poker machine hungry leagues clubs (or sugar daddies or News Ltd), then it seems that the costs associated with running league are higher than the amount of money that league can (ever?) generate.

I'd simply not bow to the pressure from the greedy to continually raise the salary cap. It's there for a reason, to keep the game sustainable. Just because elite players and their media fan boys speak out about needing more money to "stay in the code they love" doesn't mean we have to mortgage the code to keep the precious things happy.

People that want to chase money as their priority will always want to chase more money. Nothing will ever be good enough for the like of the guys that have or will think about the soulless existence of French provincial rugby to earn some european businessman's hobby money. The game has to plot a strong safe course, if it wants to maintain it's position in the Australasian domestic market, and stay sustainable in decades to come.

sass

Juniors
rugby league overvalued? hardly.

it has lots of problems but that sure isn't one.

Shorty

Staff member
Overvalued?
I thought it was the opposite just that we've got incompetent owners and ceos.

Loudstrat

Coach
Good call, Eastotwat. Lets fold up the game forever, leave all the asssets to Frank Hyde's cat, and go and play Cleudo looking for Mr Smith killing Mr Thaiday in the toilet with a grapple.

ONce upon a time, 28k to a semi would have been quite OK. Now, we are paranoid about AFL because they get bigger crowds. We are paranoid about Yawnion because of their international schedule. And we think our dick is small as a result.

And that's how pathetic negativity is. Look at the same picture with the glass half FULL instead.

We sh*t all over anything AFL has even from kickoff in City v Country. As soon as League has a rep season (even and Australian Schoolboys tour), we leave AFL for dead, way back behind roller hockey, badminton amd lawn bowls.

And club Union crowds to a GF barely equal a last round game in a blizzard by a side that's given up playing an out of twon team - yes: Eels v Warriors last round.

You can make League look like the king of sport. You could also make it look like doomsday. You choose the latter. I'll take the former.

Nerd

Bench
I disagree the game is not over valued.

Agree. SBW is not worth $400 000.

The players are worth what the market will pay.

Sponsors examine the value from sponsorship every year and have done from year dot.

To attract large sponsors (Telsta, Toyota, etc) the game needs to be played in Melbourne.

Melbourne should be in the comp. Melbourne sold out their semi. Melbourne will be moving to a new stadium better suited to League than their current one. Melbourne is the second largest city population wise in Australia. Melbourne has increasing crowd numbers. If anyone should be worried its the AFL with their second Sydney team fiasco. With pathetic TV ratings for AFL in Sydney and Brisbane, channels 7 and 10 must be seriously concerned about how much money they have paid for the AFL rights.

_Johnsy

Referee
Estoboy

What were the finals crowds like in Australias premier rugby union club competiton this year ?

url

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
The current financial crisis should serve as a dire warning for Rugby League

As a fan I can see that the game is very over-valued. It is not worth the money being spent on it. 20,000 to a semi already proves my point.

The current financial crisis in Wall St has been brought on by banks thinking that they can shift debt to other institutions with the attitude of "its not mine, someone else can sort it out". As Costello predicted, it was only a matter of time before someone figured out that there was too much money in the system and the whole thing was just WAY too over the top.

League fans, I kid you not that the sponsors of your clubs will be looking at their books and asking "is our $500,000 a year sponsorship of this team actually worth that money?" and they will figure out that it isn't. A $4m cap is already at the peak of what league can afford. Any more and we will be as guilty as those people in New York who shifted bad debt into packages and sold them in London. Gasnier and Sonny and all the players who left have done us a service by leaving because honestly the league, as an economy of its own, could only afford what they were being paid - no more!

Further more, the league can't afford to spend time and money on teams like Melbourne. They offer nothing. I ask you which is better:

1: 44,000 PAX sold out SFS with 20,000 wanting tickets (Tigers v Dragons) or
2: 20,000 PAX half empty stadium (yay cronulla!)

which is better? Because, as a code, Rugby League can not survive with teams like Melbourne in the comp. Simple demand and supply shows that a condense and local comp would provide a richer and more popular game in Sydney and Brisbane. Limited yes, but more able to battle out the economic tsunami that is approaching.

*end boiled up rant*

Why waste time on drivel.