What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Leaue needs a Cup Comp like FFA Cup

broncos2010

Juniors
Rugby League needs something similar to what soccer has done recently where the small semi pro clubs around the country get to v the bigger A League clubs.

I have watched some of the games on TV, the small semi pro clubs get to host the games and get the profits for the day, also allows the avg joe to be able to perhaps play v his favourite player in the NRL and live his dream.

I think it would be amazing for the game and give back to grass roots of the game,even if the NRL teams don't play full strength teams it would still be amazing I believe.

What are peoples thoughts?

big hit!

Bench
I think the concept of a NRL cup comp is good during Origin.

Don't think you can include semi-pros. It would be a smashing

broncos2010

Juniors
I think the concept of a NRL cup comp is good during Origin.

Don't think you can include semi-pros. It would be a smashing

Why not they do it in soccer atm?

Its always going to be a smashing its more for these avg joes getting a run v their NRL hero's thats what the Cup Comps are about.

cleary89

Coach

Its always going to be a smashing its more for these avg joes getting a run v their NRL hero's thats what the Cup Comps are about.

Because jwh running at pub players is a lot different then soccer players outclassing their opponents.

It wouldn't work unfortunately. I've thought about it plenty of times and I just can't see a way.

You can't just go and park the bus Mourinho style with league. The scores will be blowouts.

A very very miniature version of the champions league could have potential - with the top 4 from Super League & NRL playing each other during the following season. But we'd have to have weekends without any games. Which we can't even do for origin. So maybe not.

maccattack

Juniors
Ive long believed we could do with a challenge cup style competition here. It would be great for bush clubs and the like.

NrlCoach

Juniors

cuz u can park the buss in soccer. in Rugby league they will go left or right and they will score
Bus.png

I can't see it ever being on the draw board. NRL players have been very vocal about player burn out, so they won't countenance it. Coaches won't want it either as they will view it as a drain on their squad.

Further, when would you schedule it? We currently have problems fitting in NRL games with rep games and you want to conceivably add extra games to that.

Additionally, football is not as much of a contact sport as rugby league. Their players do not have to take the physical punishment an average league player does per game. Also in football, many clubs have bigger squads than an NRL club does.

Finally, I've seen what happens when you get "pub" sides go up against ones that are professional. Some "pub" teams, when they realise they are getting smashed, give up any semblance of playing and just turn on the dirt.

So I'm sorry, it might be a good idea in theory but I don't think it is a practical idea.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Difference is the Aleague sides beat the semi pro ones 2-0

NRL teams would beat their ones 70-0

Not entertaining for anyone

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I've often heard the players say they want to be playing more games....

This works in football because they can put out 2nd string sides. League can't. So no, this will never happen and nor should it.

adamkungl

Immortal
Rugby League is a punishing game if there's even a slight class difference between sides.

That said, it could theoretically work if teams had to work their way up the ranks so only likely to play 1 grade up at most.

But really, the biggest issue is it would be a non-event, due to having no (recent?) history here. Australian sports fans are rarely receptive to anything except top grade footy.

We need less club Rugby League to make room for internationals, not more.

Last edited:

hutch

First Grade
Rugby league is unforgiving. In soccer you can sit back and defend and hope for a possible goal late in the game if you are still in it. Won't work!

I've often heard the players say they want to be playing more games.....

Really? Most of the elite players (e.g. Jonathan Thurston, Cameron Smith) have been very public in the last couple of years saying the complete opposite. As such I'd like to know whom has been saying they want more games.