What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Union running scared

Wb1234

Immortal
Incredible when you put it like that.
I know you wanted a PNG side but you have to admit, the NRL are missing an incredible opportunity in NZ right now.
Just be patient

png is only happening because the money is available now

what shocks me is what’s happening in nz

I always thought union would collapse here but there are similar signs in nz now

Club union is struggling big time

Union in nz isn’t going to recover in the next few years

But if it were me I would add nz2 and png and make Perth wait

bring both in 2028 or one 2027 and the other 2029

Pippen94

First Grade
Just be patient

I always thought union would collapse here but there are similar signs in nz now

Yep, nz2 brings better time slot & tv money. Also pathways. Nz3 over Perth too!!

Fiji also?!

Pippen94

First Grade
I think it's an opportunity for the Storm. They could offer contracts to potential players so they don't have to leave Melbourne ,offer discounts for Rebels season ticket holders and see if they can't pull some of the junior academies over to league.

The real issue now becomes who replaces the Rebels? Suck a short period of time and costly considering those options are international ( which could prove to be a bigger financial black hole than the Rebels)
And if they're not replaced, it's a breach of contract with broadcasters..

Union die hards don't realise how much impact this will have.
Add to that the upheaval at Rugby NZ..
Super Rugby is on the ropes!

The NRL are mad to expand into a 3rd world country while New Zealand is there for the taking!

Lesson for NRL with expansion in AFL heartland. Without a rich benefactor won't last..

The conversation couldn't be further from Perth, please keep it somewhat relevant
RA knocked back the consortium looking to salvage the Rebels because one of their members was involved with the club when it was insolvent and a few of them are "unnamed".

Peter Cumins sponsored the financially destitute Western Reds and the consortium he's running has unnamed businessmen.

@Pippen94 was right.

As nice as Rugby Australia think it is to have a billionaire on their team, they'd be mad to keep them at lose the Brumbies.. could be a win for the Raiders though.
Force and Rebels weakened RU in its heartland. We would be wise to learn from RU's mistakes and avoid Perth at all costs.

Wb1234

Immortal
As nice as Rugby Australia think it is to have a billionaire on their team, they'd be mad to keep them at lose the Brumbies.. could be a win for the Raiders though.
Force dieing is good for Perth bears

all that union junior infrastructure that the billionaire spent funding will go to league

Canberra don’t need the brumbies to die they already dominate the market

final say

Juniors
Just be patient

Patient ? The time is now!
This infighting can only last so long .
Right now they are down a club and in a battle of governance, there's literally no way they can counter the NRL while they aren't unified!
They'll work together eventually and that work will be mostly to hold back the NRL.
This is a golden opportunity for the NRL.

Pippen94

First Grade
RA knocked back the consortium looking to salvage the Rebels because one of their members was involved with the club when it was insolvent and a few of them are "unnamed".

Peter Cumins sponsored the financially destitute Western Reds and the consortium he's running has unnamed businessmen.

@Pippen94 was right.

Force and Rebels weakened RU in its heartland. We would be wise to learn from RU's mistakes and avoid Perth at all costs.

Correct. If bids are backed by successful businessmen why wouldn't they name them?!

Pippen94

First Grade
Force dieing is good for Perth bears

all that union junior infrastructure that the billionaire spent funding will go to league

Canberra don’t need the brumbies to die they already dominate the market

Twiggy should be goal for NRL.

Wb1234

Immortal
Patient ? The time is now!
This infighting can only last so long .
Right now they are down a club and in a battle of governance, there's literally no way they can counter the NRL while they aren't unified!
They'll work together eventually and that work will be mostly to hold back the NRL.
This is a golden opportunity for the NRL.
In Australia no chance

Union is dead there isn’t a thing they can do to challenge the nrl

Nz sure another team now would be great

Just be happy nz are getting another side

during covid there were calls to kill off the warriors

Wb1234

Immortal

This will be a huge gain for the Melbourne storm who can now benefit from all the money union has spent investing in juniors