What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Union running scared

MugaB

Coach
Which begs the question.

If Twiggy's involvement with the Force hasn't led to them being able to compete with four weak competitors from the east coast then what chance does Cumins have of competing against 16 well funded clubs?
Without bears, Perth is nothing but just a location

But I'm not thinking of that, just thinking about the fact that without super rugby on the west coast, there will be a vacuum, are they allowed a team in the NRL? Wasn't there some sort of cabal ,hey
@mongoose
Bwahahahaha hahahaha

final say

Juniors

Wb1234

Immortal

"the young Wallabies fly-half is still strongly considering a move to the NRL, with the World Cup member increasingly disenchanted by the state of the game."
Play hooker in league ?

Wb1234

Immortal
Probably more suited to 6 I reckon... but I think he's the one that was being shopped to the Titans for (allegedly) 700k a while back. Def not worth that sort of coin, at any spot.
Shortage of halves in the nrl but can’t see storm paying that much

but you’re right it may be too much for his first contract

final say

Juniors
No union player in Australia is good enough for the nrl.
There's plenty mate. Maybe not many that are walk up starting 17 but plenty good enough to make the 30 man roster.
If you don't think there's speed size and skills that could be moulded to league in 6 months, you're lying to yourself.
I'd estimate around 4 or 5 at any Super Rugby club could easily make a 30 man squad with the enough training.

This is why the NRL needs to play their part in toppling Super Rugby..
12 teams that we could pinch 4 or 5 players from.. that's 60 players... 2 full teams of talent.

The NRL in expansion will be pulling talent from Rugby, directing and indirectly.
A second NZ team will vastly speed up that process.

Wb1234

Immortal
There's plenty mate. Maybe not many that are walk up starting 17 but plenty good enough to make the 30 man roster.
If you don't think there's speed size and skills that could be moulded to league in 6 months, you're lying to yourself.
I'd estimate around 4 or 5 at any Super Rugby club could easily make a 30 man squad with the enough training.

12 teams that we could pinch 4 or 5 players from.. that's 60 players... 2 full teams of talent.

The NRL in expansion will be pulling talent from Rugby, directing and indirectly.
With the death of the rebels all their juniors will feed into the storm

we should thank the aru for helping to develop our pathways

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Super rugby or whatever they call it is a massive step down of quality from the nrl. The closest rugby gets to the nrl is the international level.
So 15 players. Scrap the forwards. Down to 7. Of those 7 how many would make an NRL squad?

Of course I haven't watched a rugger bugger game since the Jonah Lomu days in the 1990s. I'm just assuming its shit.

final say

Juniors
Super rugby or whatever they call it is a massive step down of quality from the nrl. The closest rugby gets to the nrl is the international level.
So 15 players. Scrap the forwards. Down to 7. Of those 7 how many would make an NRL squad?

Of course I haven't watched a rugger bugger game since the Jonah Lomu days in the 1990s. I'm just assuming its shit.
Please don't take my post as an attack on your perception. I just think you need to calibrate it to a more realistic view.
There's even ex NRL stars in these squads.
It's like this:
NRL has squads of 30 quality players.
Super Rugby has squads of around 10 to 15 quality players ( it's reflected in their cap) out of those, purely based on raw talent ( jumping, running, passing and speed) around 5 would get a contract based on those figures alone!
Some might be more suited to league outside of those 5 or so and some within those 5 but there's no escaping the fact that there's talent there.

If you're 6 foot, 100kg and can run the the hundred at a decent clip- the NRL are looking at you..even if you're playing basketball ( Jareem Bula)

So yes, Rugby is prime territory for a talent raid.

docbrown

Coach
Please don't take my post as an attack on your perception. I just think you need to calibrate it to a more realistic view.
It's like this:
Super Rugby has squads of around 10 to 15 quality players ( it's reflected in their cap) out of those, purely based on raw talent ( jumping, running, passing and speed) around 5 would get a contract based on those figures alone!
Some might be more suited to league outside of those 5 or so and some within those 5 but there's no escaping the fact that there's talent there.

If you're 6 foot, 100kg and can run the the hundred at a decent clip- the NRL are looking at you..even if you're playing basketball ( Jareem Bula)

I'm not sure why people are arguing with you. Rugby Union is a crap game and not every player can make the crossover (e.g. they've only trained for years to run a couple of metres every couple of minutes in a game with 35 minutes of actual ball-in-play time). However, with training a lot can still make the conversion. But even more so, as union declines, their juniors shift to league. That's where the main battle is won.

Wb1234

Immortal
It's like this:

Yalts
I'm not sure why people are arguing with you. Rugby Union is a crap game and not every player can make the crossover (e.g. they've only trained for years to run a couple of metres every couple of minutes in a game with 35 minutes of actual ball-in-play time). However, with training a lot can still make the conversion. But even more so, as union declines, their juniors shift to league. That's where the main battle is won.
storn go from a situation of very poor juniors to a much better situation with the death of the rebels

the aru would’ve spent millions developing those junior pathways

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I guess I'll just leave this here..

'Too many': NZ Rugby hints at cutting number of pro teams https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/th...-is-unsustainable/FO7NYS7VTVEUJDAA5NNV55LC5I/
Oh dear... more contraction on the way. I don't think Union yet understand how much impact losing the whole Pacific region (including NZ) to rugby league will have.

They might think they have Japan (lol) and Argentina (lol) to replace it, but the amount of players that are provided to all nations (global sport - lol) from down here is still extremely high. Not only that, the All Blacks is their only genuine brand that transcends the sport. If that weakens and ends up performing at the level of Tonga, Samoa and Australian at international level, they have really gone backwards as a sport.

Happy days ahead