What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumour: Sam Williams signed for 2 years a

Steelman

Juniors
It would be crazy to think after the last 2 years that we could have 3 capable halves in 1 club... id rather have spent the money on forwards but not complaining.. gives us flexibility and one of them will go to centre id imagine.

Yep the 2 players who should be most cranky are DW & Vaivai, Vaivai cant do much more and obviously is not in Prices sites and DW well but there was a perfect opportunity to trial him this year and they have ignored it and gone to great length to sign someone else.. maybe he will be happy to be backup and toil away in reserve grade, hes probably not going to be sought after by other clubs on current form anyway, there isnt a massive halves shortage.

I'm not as certain Rangi will be signed if Williams arrives just heard he's still on the radar. He's utility value would b a bonus can play 5/8 half hooker center.

Steelman

Juniors
Id be pissed if I was Drinkwater. Cant even crack a spot when the five eighth gets punted. Then to supposedly get a new half that's running around nsw cup lol

Dragons don't rate drinkwater he can't tackle and his 5th tackle kicking options r rubbish. There halfs the same age playing nrl light year's ahead of him. Example Sam Williams.

hewi

Bench

Dragons don't rate drinkwater he can't tackle and his 5th tackle kicking options r rubbish. There halfs the same age playing nrl light year's ahead of him. Example Sam Williams.

The question needs to be asked then why was he signed?

emack

Juniors
Sam Williams BIO from nrl.com.au

Nickname: Willy.

Goal for 2013: Play as much first grade as possible

After winning the club’s Rookie of the Year Award in 2011, Sam Williams progressed in leaps and bounds last year and confirmed his standing as one of the finest young halves in the game.

Williams has been touted as a candidate to be the Raiders long term number seven for a number of years now due to his impressive level-headedness, tactical kicking and creative passing game and his terrific season in 2012 more than justified those prior claims.

The former Junior Kangaroo representative evolved from a player of immense promise to a pivotal member of the side’s fortunes and was in fact Man of the Match in Canberra’s brilliant 34-16 win over the Cronulla Sharks in the club’s first semi-final.

Williams’ stellar performances at halfback throughout the year gained the talented youngster praise from the greatest halfback to have played the game, Andrew Johns.

With Terry Campese set to again return from injury in 2013, Coach David Furner now has a difficult selection decision on his hands after Williams’ brilliant season. Admittedly though, it is a decision that Furner is lucky to have.

Away from the field, Williams is a passionate cricket supporter and plays cricket back home in Cooma during the off-season where he has previously registered a first grade century.

TheRev

Coach

Now that we managed to sign someone mid-season its a very different perspective, but go back a month or 2 months and I was still surprised DW wasnt atleast worth a shot to see if he would step up under pressure, he isnt terrible for the cutters, hes not lighting it up either.. but .. beggars cant be choosers.. though in a way I guess we did choose lol.

hardbaby

Coach
Williams will be great. And a very different style of player from Widdop. Can't wait to see the halves next year. Bet Duges, Morris and Nighty are stoked.

rainman44

Bench
I'm not as certain Rangi will be signed if Williams arrives just heard he's still on the radar. He's utility value would b a bonus can play 5/8 half hooker center.
I got told today that Rangi is a done deal for next year, so he could be the triangle player that doust was talking about.

Efresh

Coach
The question needs to be asked then why was he signed?

He was signed out of U20s as a player to develop, not as a first grader for this year. Is that so hard for people to understand?

The real problem is it is showing the huge gap that exists between the comps now as most guys who come out of under 20s are not near ready for NRL.

Fingerbang

Bench
He was signed out of U20s as a player to develop, not as a first grader for this year. Is that so hard for people to understand?

The real problem is it is showing the huge gap that exists between the comps now as most guys who come out of under 20s are not near ready for NRL.
Congrats Efresh.....good to see someone else gets it.

Rex Terp

First Grade
Sam Williams is a good player, and he's well ahead in development compared to our young halves.

The signing makes sense. Won't break the bank, helps us short term, and gives us options further ahead.

TheRev

Coach
Sam Williams is a good player, and he's well ahead in development compared to our young halves.

The signing makes sense. Won't break the bank, helps us short term, and gives us options further ahead.
Its not ideal but its the right fit to make some semblence of a surge in 2013.. wasnt going to happen with Sowie/Fien, still probably wont with such a poor start to the season, but gives us a shot atleast.

Wonder if the kid can goalkick?

blacksafake

First Grade
Id be pissed if I was Drinkwater. Cant even crack a spot when the five eighth gets punted. Then to supposedly get a new half that's running around nsw cup lol

Williams at the moment is a far better player I think he'll be a good signing for us.The ball is now in drinkwaters court to improve his game.

Minh

First Grade
Drinkwater has a long way to go but at least he's got a taste of first grade albeit very little. He doesn't have the physicality yet.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
For Sam I hope its true, he deserves to be playing first grade.

The kid is talented, if he has signed ill bet everything that in a few weeks everyone would be impressed.