What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and Avenger's Secrets XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

caylo

Bench
Having the numbers covered doesn't stop one-on-ones. That's the whole point of attackers committing multiple defenders. Centres always have to stay close to their half because there is a much bigger edge forward coming at him.

Every centre misses at least a couple of tackles a game. Whether they lead to tries or not doesn't make the missed tackle any worse - defenders don't choose what happens after they miss a tackle. It is out of their hands.

Reed missed three tackles in that game (and went off injured before the 70th minute). But Milford on his inside missed five tackles, showing how much help he needed in that game. So judging a bloke on one game is as stupid as deeming a missed tackle any worse just because it resulted in a try. In fact, if there's no try scored then nobody ever notices who missed the tackle. How many people noticed that Blake Ferguson missed more tackles than Jack Reed in that game? f**k all, that's how many.

Hmm. How many broncos games did you watch? Or are you making assumptions

1) Reed missed two tackles on his line and no one else could do anything. He is 100% at fault, also he was in position and should have made them. While Ferguson is a good attack players, they were very lame attempts. I already mentioned he may have been severely limited by injury.
2) all year my mate wanted Copley in for Reed, i personally also always saw him as a better all round NRL centre and possibly his injuries have played against him.
3) most all miss tackles are equal, sometimes you technically miss tackles but they stop the play or force errors. If you rush in you will always miss more tackles but you will break down more plays as well. Miss tackles are only equal when you don't watch games and just read stats

Noise

Coach
Gordon is primed - Has played origin.

KE - Tepai-Pauli are all attacking players.Maybe BA has tamed them down a little but they are attacking players.

It will be 6 years since Gordon played his 1 game in origin and on the wing. He is not the same attacking player he was in 2010. And I assumed Pou was talking about your primary 13 on the field not the bench/Wenty as he said both edge second rowers

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I tend to agree with you but when looking at our squad we only have 4-5 attacking players (if you include Norman and Foran) out of those 8 positions:

Gordon, I wouldn't consider him an attacking player
Both halves in Norman and Foran are attacking, though Norman more so than Foran
Peats not attacking
Beau scott and Manu Mau - 1 is attacking
Junior Paulo is our only attacking middle forward
Semi is the outside back

I don't think our team is well balanced.

Yeah I pretty much agree. But it's not easy to build the perfect team. Plus I'd say Brad Arthur has different ideas to me on what constitutes the ideal team.

I also think Wicks and Pauli are good attacking forwards. Just not such good defenders. And I remember Cameron King was a very good dummy half. I don't know if it was his defence or injuries (or attitude) that got him punted from the Dragons.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I always said Mortimer was a bust- Never saw him do anything that year bar a few lucky grubber kicks and back up well.

I remember being concerned about his low number of LBAs. When he turned out to be shit I was convinced that Kimmorley (I think it was) was spot on when he said LBAs were the best indicator of a playmaker's quality.

No I don't know how many LBAs Kimmorley used to get. I didn't care about them until after he had retired.

Noise

Coach
Yeah I pretty much agree. But it's not easy to build the perfect team. Plus I'd say Brad Arthur has different ideas to me on what constitutes the ideal team.

I also think Wicks and Pauli are good attacking forwards. Just not such good defenders. And I remember Cameron King was a very good dummy half. I don't know if it was his defence or injuries (or attitude) that got him punted from the Dragons.

The Nth Qld model seems to follow your model though they probably have a couple of extras in 2 halves and 3 middle forwards minus the outside back:

Coote
Thurstan & Morgan
Granville
Cooper, Lowe less so but:
3 attacking middle forwards in Scott, Tamou and Taulmololo

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It will be 6 years since Gordon played his 1 game in origin and on the wing. He is not the same attacking player he was in 2010. And I assumed Pou was talking about your primary 13 on the field not the bench/Wenty as he said both edge second rowers

Thing about Pauli is, he is the kind of player who could just erupt in the space of an off season. He is currently a very talented reserve grader, who if he sorts his shit out could become an elite level edge forward. It's just a matter of getting his defence (especially his work rate) right.

We saw Jason Taumalolo do just this, though it involved a move to the middle of the field. And of course he is still a lazy defender, but he is much better than he was.

It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that Pauli Pauli could be a key member of our pack by the end of 2016, playing in a top four team. It's also likely that he will only play a dozen games next season and finish the year in reserve grade.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hmm. How many broncos games did you watch? Or are you making assumptions

1) Reed missed two tackles on his line and no one else could do anything. He is 100% at fault, also he was in position and should have made them. While Ferguson is a good attack players, they were very lame attempts. I already mentioned he may have been severely limited by injury.
2) all year my mate wanted Copley in for Reed, i personally also always saw him as a better all round NRL centre and possibly his injuries have played against him.
3) most all miss tackles are equal, sometimes you technically miss tackles but they stop the play or force errors. If you rush in you will always miss more tackles but you will break down more plays as well. Miss tackles are only equal when you don't watch games and just read stats

Well if you're cherry picking to score points you can have them. The point is that Reed is a good defender. I think I'll trust Bennett's opinion over your mate's.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The Nth Qld model seems to follow your model though they probably have a couple of extras in 2 halves and 3 middle forwards minus the outside back:

Coote
Thurstan & Morgan
Granville
Cooper, Lowe less so but:
3 attacking middle forwards in Scott, Tamou and Taulmololo

Actually I think the Cowboys' edge forwards are very ordinary (for premiership winners, that is). They seem to put all their money into the spine and middle forwards.

Noise

Coach
Actually I think the Cowboys' edge forwards are very ordinary (for premiership winners, that is). They seem to put all their money into the spine and middle forwards.

I rate Cooper as a very good attacking forward. He scored a lot of tries/line breaks IIRC.

caylo

Bench
Well if you're cherry picking to score points you can have them. The point is that Reed is a good defender. I think I'll trust Bennett's opinion over your mate's.

Maybe he is, I've stated 2 times he was injured and that's probably why he was a passenger in the final series but what I don't understand is why you blame Milford and defend reed for clear misses? Even good playersmake mistakes.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maybe he is, I've stated 2 times he was injured and that's probably why he was a passenger in the final series but what I don't understand is why you blame Milford and defend reed for clear misses? Even good playersmake mistakes.

Milford misses a lot of tackles every week. He is in the team for his attack. Reed has had one bad defensive game (where he was up against Blake Ferguson and still only missed three tackles and left the field injured) and Bennett trusts him over the better attacker in Dale Copley.

Chipmunk

Coach
They are reporting Roberts has been offered $250k - $275K by 3 clubs...

Firstyl the titans would of offered more and second- Why are we not offering him 350k? He would be a great buy for that!

Parra would have to turn off the porch light to be in a position to offer that kind of coin to Roberts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts