What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and TheRam's whinging XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Coco

Juniors
I have a feeling Takairangi is just going to fade away.

I strongly disagree, def top four outside back including Jennings arriving.

As for back ups, I think the fringe wingers we have push the likes of Gutherson, flash and maybe even semi into the centres to make way for Shulte, Farimo, Moss and Tuha ( if he makes it), these guys make better wingers then centre replacements. That is before you need to call on toutai and Folau.

I don't think losing Pauli and Morgan affects our depth dramatically, while I like both, I think they are a bit down the order anyways.

oldmancraigy

Coach
TheRam will not be happy if he goes but then he will not be happy if he stays either

:lol:

Yeah,
If he goes he will blow up deluxe about how amateur it makes the club look, will say good clubs like the Roosters would never pay someone to play for another club, and yet give no reasons (in a very long whinge) as to why keeping Morgan would be a good idea.

If he stays he will blow up deluxe about how amateur it makes the club look, and say we should have lost him over whomever we do lose, because that player will be the next immortal (when said player is not in FG in 2 years time, he will simply claim not through lack of talent, they were good enough to be an immortal, but circumstances conspired against them - and of course it will be the clubs fault).

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It's a good idea because he looks like salt but it's a bad idea because he's actually a pepper.

No doubt he'd still be spruiking the idea that you need a mixture of the 2 seasonings.
So now we know he's called MorgZilla :shock:

Anyone complaining that we are losing Morgs to get Jennings is a bigger whinger then me and Ram combined :lol:

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But you said if they're anywhere near first grade. As first choice back-ups they're near first grade.

Yep. Just like reserve graders at other clubs. The key is how strong the team is that they're coming into. That's why Brendan Elliot can play eight games for the Roosters and look like a jet, but Folau comes in to the Eels and looks like a dunce.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I was referring to late in the game,...

Teams still do it today, dce has done it regularly now at rep level, Morgan has done it at the cows, we do it with peats.

With lower interchanges, having the versatility will help when the opposition loses a few props during the match

Oh you mean middle half?

It's a supporting role.

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
Everyone currently on an NRL contract was an outstanding junior player. But I agree Toutai is underrated. That doesn't mean he's a good player, but he is far less shit than the whingers make out.

Ryan Morgan was not an outstanding junior. His story, good trainer? Nice guy? Right place right time?

Toutai playing in backline that may include Foran be Jennings is worth another go.
He is in the system and cheap as chips

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Canberra Raiders recruitment boss wants transfer window to end 'meat market'

Canberra Raiders recruitment boss Peter Mulholland has backed calls for the NRL to address the player "meat market" by introducing a transfer window late in the year.

Mulholland described the current climate, where players change clubs at will, as "ridiculous" and believes it can be solved by following soccer's lead.

The Raiders are one of many clubs monitoring developments at Parramatta, who are keen to clear up salary cap space to accommodate Sydney Roosters and NSW Origin centre Michael Jennings.

Advertisement
Canberra have been strongly linked to Eels forward Junior Paulo, but it is understood the club doesn't consider him a realistic chance of leaving Parramatta this year.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart is a fan of the 22-year-old since his Parramatta tenure and Canberra are one of a few clubs interested, while fellow Eels forward Pauli Pauli is tipped to join Newcastle.

Paulo is due to appear in court again in April after he pled not guilty in November to charges arising from a road rage incident.

Clubs are unlikely to gamble on an attempt to sign Paulo for this season, for fear of NRL Integrity Unit sanctions if he is found guilty.

Jennings' possible move to Parramatta came one step closer to reality after Brisbane centre Dale Copley's switch to the Roosters was officially confirmed on Saturday.

However, Fairfax Media understands the legal issues surrounding Will Hopoate's move from Parramatta to Canterbury could further muddy the waters.

It is understood there is a realistic chance any compensation Parramatta may be ordered to pay should they lose the court battle will be included in their 2016 salary cap.

Hopoate is on far less money at the Bulldogs than what was offered by Parramatta, who had not attempted to register his contract with the NRL after realising it would far exceed their salary cap limit.

Mulholland insists player movement so close to the start of the season isn't ideal for the game.

"I think there should be a transfer window," Mulholland said. "It's a wonderful idea to keep it out of the pre-season, it should all be done and dusted well and truly before January.

"There is an opportunity for that in the game and it would make it more media friendly as well, it's something they [NRL] could market. It's something they should be looking at and it does stop the meat market. I'd probably look at holding it from late October until the middle of November, when everyone's back on deck."

The Raiders will still keep a lookout for quality players squeezed out of their current clubs, but would be comfortable with their squad if no additions are made.

"We're always looking for something if it's a position we require," Mulholland said. "You never know, other clubs still have to have their salary cap audited and there may be a movement of a top-liner here or there."

The Raiders are extremely interested in acquiring Newcastle forward Joseph Tapine, who is off contract at the end of the season.

Mulholland signed Junior Kiwi Tapine for the Knights three years ago during his time at the club.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/canberra-raiders-20160116-gm78eo.html

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Michael Jennings' move to Parramatta Eels edges closer as Dale Copley joins Sydney Roosters

Parramatta may yet be the ultimate winners from the pre-season horse trading as Brisbane centre Dale Copley heads to Bondi to join the Sydney Roosters.

The 24-year-old had been squeezed out of Red Hill after Wayne Bennett snapped up former Titans speedster James Roberts, who will add another dimension to a back line that already looks as though it will get back to a grand final.

Rumours had persisted for weeks about the move and it was made official on Saturday when Copley told teammates in Brisbane that the deal had been done and he was packing up for the move south.

Advertisement
Heading west?: Michael Jennings.
Heading west?: Michael Jennings.Photo: Getty Images
And while the Roosters inherit a quality first-grader, more intriguing will be the next shift of player movements, when the most likely option will be Blues centre Michael Jennings heading west to link with a rejuvenated Eels line-up already boasting Kieran Foran.

Jennings, now 27, has been at the Roosters since moving from Penrith at the end of 2012 and won a grand final with them in 2013. He's been a constant threat in their back line, crossing for 44 tries in his 71 appearances.

If he completes the move to Parramatta, as expected, he shapes as an excellent acquisition given Will Hopoate's move to the Bulldogs.

Moving south: Ex-Bronco Dale Copley.
Moving south: Ex-Bronco Dale Copley.Photo: Getty Images
Neither club was confirming Copley's shift on Saturday but it should be considered a done deal.

It completes an up-and-down few months for the law student, who had been groomed as a replacement for retired centre Justin Hodges before the Gold Coast's contract bungle resulted in the electric Roberts appearing on the player market.

Bennett had gone as far as saying Copley's "time had come" as he prepared to step up and replace the departing Queensland and Australian great, who signed off in Brisbane's memorable grand final defeat by the Cowboys.

But business is business and Brisbane had no hesitation in making a play when Roberts showed interest, beating off main rival South Sydney to grab the signature of the devastating try scorer, who looks very close to earning representative honours this season should be continue to fire.

Roosters fans may feel like they are the ones missing a trick but Copley has been a consistent and hugely improved performer for the Broncos over recent seasons.

He joined them in 2009 but has become a hard-running centre/winger who knows how to get across the line, planting it down 31 times in his 72 appearances for the glamour club.

But he had issues with injury and often floated around the fringes of the best top-grade side. He played just nine games last year and was 18th man for the grand final after Hodges was cleared to play.

The Eels finished 12th last year but would be expected to produce far better with Foran running the show from five-eighth, Jennings becoming a quality target in the back line and Blues hardman Beau Scott adding some starch to the loose forwards.

Brisbane have been installed as favourites to go one better this year, ahead of the Roosters. Parramatta are the 10th elect but may tighten in when the Jennings deal becomes official.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/sy...ey-joins-sydney-roosters-20160116-gm7b8f.html

Stagger eel

Staff member
Geez I cringe whenever I hear about the hoppa situation...there's just something about it hat doesn't sit right

Gazzamatta

Coach
It's the perception that his primary qualification is a previous relationship with one or more board members, in a context of our club's administration over the last twenty or thirty years having been proven unprofessional and in many ways incompetent - and that this went hand in hand with executive staff being appointed not on ability but by reason of their compliance and ability to be controlled by board factions.

I understand the concerns, because for too long (and one of the worst examples was the immediate predecessor) we have made internal appointments with connections to bird factions. That has been disastrous. This club, more than any other, has probably been crying out for fresh blood; genuine top level marketplace skills; top level professionalism and genuine experience.

Boulos would not quite seem to stack up to those requirements Prima facie. He has a sports administration background, but it is hardly top shelf.

I have set out the reasons I think it may not be as big an issue as it may have been in the first few months after seward's departure, but I can certainly understand the concerns to the contrary.
So, someone like Ken Edwards?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ryan Morgan was not an outstanding junior. His story, good trainer? Nice guy? Right place right time?

Toutai playing in backline that may include Foran be Jennings is worth another go.
He is in the system and cheap as chips

If Morgan wasn't an outstanding junior he never would have made it to first grade.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I remember reading somewhere that morgs struggled to make our junior rep side but he was a very handy outside back for the 20's ... I think he even had a few games at lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts