What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pomoz

Bench
Is that how a team in a developing state should be doing things? If us and Canberra took that same attitude we'd have no kids left
That is exactly what we do and I don't see why you have a problem with it. It was Gus's strategy to develop locally and recruit outside of the local area when we had shortages in the local pool of talent. Kikau being the most obvious example of that.

The Storm's local pool of talent is so small they have to recruit juniors elsewhere. I don't understand why it matters whether they are developed from St Marys or from Wellington NZ. We put the effort into training them and bringing them through the grades. That's development.

It's exactly what the Storm do too. How often do the Storm announce a big name signing? Usually they are announcing releasing another player due to the salary cap. They turned Bryan Norrie into a respectable metre eating prop who won a premiership. With us he was meh. They are absolutely a development club in every sense of the word and in fact, they do it so well they even develop established first graders into better players. Genius.

If you analyse the Roosters line up, most of their players were developed by them as well. They sign the best juniors they can to top up their own local talent and put them through their systems.

Clearly, the Storm and the Roosters have the best player development of any of the clubs. That is why they continually produce quality players and remain competitive. It is lazy to say they get the chequebook out and TPA's allow them to buy the best talent. They have quality development systems which produce plenty of juniors and juniors are signed for a lot less than external recruits. This lowers the average salary of their players. That then allows them to sign the best talent if it becomes available. Tedesco is an example of that. They let their own junior, RTS, go to the Warriors where he won a dally M and they replaced him with Tedesco. He is now close to being the best player in the game now. Would he have been as good at the Tigers with their terrible coaching, training methods and back office chicanery?

franklin2323

Immortal
That is exactly what we do and I don't see why you have a problem with it. It was Gus's strategy to develop locally and recruit outside of the local area when we had shortages in the local pool of talent. Kikau being the most obvious example of that.

The Storm's local pool of talent is so small they have to recruit juniors elsewhere. I don't understand why it matters whether they are developed from St Marys or from Wellington NZ. We put the effort into training them and bringing them through the grades. That's development.

It's exactly what the Storm do too. How often do the Storm announce a big name signing? Usually they are announcing releasing another player due to the salary cap. They turned Bryan Norrie into a respectable metre eating prop who won a premiership. With us he was meh. They are absolutely a development club in every sense of the word and in fact, they do it so well they even develop established first graders into better players. Genius.

If you analyse the Roosters line up, most of their players were developed by them as well. They sign the best juniors they can to top up their own local talent and put them through their systems.

Clearly, the Storm and the Roosters have the best player development of any of the clubs. That is why they continually produce quality players and remain competitive. It is lazy to say they get the chequebook out and TPA's allow them to buy the best talent. They have quality development systems which produce plenty of juniors and juniors are signed for a lot less than external recruits. This lowers the average salary of their players. That then allows them to sign the best talent if it becomes available. Tedesco is an example of that. They let their own junior, RTS, go to the Warriors where he won a dally M and they replaced him with Tedesco. He is now close to being the best player in the game now. Would he have been as good at the Tigers with their terrible coaching, training methods and back office chicanery?

We run 2 x u16's. 2 x 18's teams. Our own 20's and own NSW cup team. Instead of that we should be going to stack the 20's for looking forward to getting the best.

Compare that to what those 2 teams run. Smaller pool means can go after the best 18 year olds instead of the 14/15 year olds we go for.

Cronk, Keary and Tedesco were all poached from elsewhere. No doubt using TPA's and without them they would be a fringe top 8 team. That is the difference between a top team and a fringe Top 8 team

OldPanther

Coach
Is that how a team in a developing state should be doing things? If us and Canberra took that same attitude we'd have no kids left

Difference is we are in a rugby league heartland they are in AFL territory. It's a completely unfair comparison. Even the guys they buy are usually unwanted. Papenhouzen was stuck behind Tedesco for example.

Flashstep

Juniors
Difference is we are in a rugby league heartland they are in AFL territory. It's a completely unfair comparison. Even the guys they buy are usually unwanted. Papenhouzen was stuck behind Tedesco for example.

Used to be a time when Penrith would take a chance on players stuck in reserve grade at other clubs and we got some great players out of it, it’s a good strategy that we should still be using.

OldPanther

Coach
We run 2 x u16's. 2 x 18's teams. Our own 20's and own NSW cup team. Instead of that we should be going to stack the 20's for looking forward to getting the best.

Compare that to what those 2 teams run. Smaller pool means can go after the best 18 year olds instead of the 14/15 year olds we go for.

Cronk, Keary and Tedesco were all poached from elsewhere. No doubt using TPA's and without them they would be a fringe top 8 team. That is the difference between a top team and a fringe Top 8 team

Those players were definitely not poached. Cronk moved to Sydney to be with his wife, Keary had a falling out with Souths which was a big public drama and Tedesco was in the middle of all the contract issues at Tigers which saw them lose multiple players and are still recovering from poor club management of the roster which Madge should help somewhat.

age.s

First Grade

Even the Tigers didn't get Papenhuyzen from their local area. He's a Hills boy.

franklin2323

Immortal

Yeah but after 20 years surely there is one that is FG standard?

franklin2323

Immortal
Those players were definitely not poached. Cronk moved to Sydney to be with his wife, Keary had a falling out with Souths which was a big public drama and Tedesco was in the middle of all the contract issues at Tigers which saw them lose multiple players and are still recovering from poor club management of the roster which Madge should help somewhat.

Moving the Sydney is one thing yet they all happen to go to them

Maloney, SBW etc the list goes on. No TPA they don't get everyone and maybe the top guys go to other clubs and talent is spread around like the cap is meant to do

OldPanther

Coach
Moving the Sydney is one thing yet they all happen to go to them

Maloney, SBW etc the list goes on. No TPA they don't get everyone and maybe the top guys go to other clubs and talent is spread around like the cap is meant to do

Well the Roosters did let go Pearce and Fergo among others to the benefit of Newcastle and Eels so it's not as though they just stacked talent at the expense of others. At least 2 teams were made stronger and improved their position.

TheFrog

Coach
They let their own junior, RTS, go to the Warriors where he won a dally M and they replaced him with Tedesco. He is now close to being the best player in the game now. Would he have been as good at the Tigers with their terrible coaching, training methods and back office chicanery?
There was two years in between, in which time they had players like Ferguson and Mitchell, and then Michael Gordon. It wasn't planned they would replace RTS with Tedesco. But when he became available they offered him what he wanted, which was to be the best fullback around in a highly successful club located in a desirable area. It was every bit as much a poaching as Fittler was.

TheFrog

Coach
Well the Roosters did let go Pearce and Fergo among others to the benefit of Newcastle and Eels so it's not as though they just stacked talent at the expense of others. At least 2 teams were made stronger and improved their position.
They'd have kept Pearce but he didn't want to play anywhere but half. Fergo I think they did the sums, and while he's still a dangerous player he's got a blue in him and is starting to get injured a bit as well.

OldPanther

Coach
They'd have kept Pearce but he didn't want to play anywhere but half. Fergo I think they did the sums, and while he's still a dangerous player he's got a blue in him and is starting to get injured a bit as well.

I'm pretty sure they let 3 or 4 go and I'd bet they would've demanded Pearce take a pay cut with Cronk becoming the dominant halfback. They are extremely good at managing their cap. If you look they usually release a few duds and pick up one superstar. I'm hoping that's us this time with our clean out this year but I seriously doubt it.

Whino

Bench

Kilkenny

Coach
The systems we have in place for junior development are very strong and we do have a production line which we should be commended for. As Frog made the point, perhaps it is the finishing school where we haven’t done so well, top level coaching to put the finishes touches on youngsters with significant potential. The other aspect is very good players become better players playing alongside star quality players. As I’ve suggested many times we just haven’t quite been able to unearth another Brandy, Freddy etc to take us to that next level. If you use say Spencer Leniu as an example you wonder how far he will progress under our coaching structures as opposed to if he was playing amongst the quality rosters of the Roosters or Storm and there coaching staff. I think we probably know the answer to the question. Kikau another perfect example he would be a world beater at the Storm or Roosters playing with better players, better coaches and infinitely better attacking structures to get the best from him.

hindy111

Post Whore
In a roundabout sort of way I have a high level source thru my son.

Spoke to my son today and asked him whether he has spoken to his mate about our incoming recruits and he has, but there is no mail on who we have signed or who we are pursuing?

This whole scenario doesn’t make any sense given how many players we have released and and let go.

Given how much cap space we have supposedly freed up I would have thought we had a plan, and had certain players locked up but given my conversation with my son today I am not so sure.

Ivan and co could be flying by the seats of there pants, so to speak, and currently there is nothing locked up. Bit of concern given my indirect source is almost 100% spot on over a long period of time.

Maybe he will give his son an upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.