1. Out Now:

The next edition of our exclusive weekly online e-magazine is here. The Front Row is your ideal guide to NRL Round 13 and Super League Round 8, with news, features, results, reports, teamlists, match stats and previews to accompany your weekend of footy viewing ahead.

This week's feature story is a history piece from Andrew Ferguson, with an insight into the life of the man who refereed the first NSWRFL first grade match in 1908 - Ted Hooper.

There's all the regular bits - the crossword and word jumbles, last week's wrap of results, reports, the ladder, stats leaders, match review and player of the year; plus your match program, with teamlists, player stats, head-to-head stats, match info and a full preview of every game of the NRL. There's also a detailed Super League program section.

EDITION 11 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by herbert henry1908, Jun 1, 2016.

1. betcats

betcats Coach

Well after all my whinging today about being positive I’m going to have to bag a signing! Life hey.

ACTPanthers and Zampaa like this.
  2. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

Capewell won’t be playing minutes at prop, he’s too small. Not sure why you’d compare to RCG.

3. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Remember we lost pretty much a depth forward pack.

Grant
    Egan
    RCG
    Fuimaono
    Winterstein
    Sele

Capewell is better than all of them. Value wise better than RCG. That is all we are after really if they play top 17 then it is a bonus

MrBlack, CCJohnC and betcats like this.
  4. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

Can pretty much rule out signing any decent back now if that’s the case. Oh well, we’ve got hope at least.

5. Fangs

Fangs Bench

It really is completely up in the air. We have no idea how that spine will function without Maloney. For all the talk about a clash between Maloney/Cleary, whose to say the same won't happen with Cleary/Korisau? Then you've got the issue at 6 with two under-developed players.

With Barrett you have a bit more hope knowing Dave's Mate won't be running the attack.

6. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

JFH and Yeo play 80 mins in the middle. Tamou 45-50. Leinu the rest.
    Kenny will get when Api rests

Getting Leota time will be hard enough without having to find it for RCG too. Now can cover a back going down and not lose Yeo from the pack

7. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

That depends if you believe they clashed or not. I don’t but even so. Hooker can put on moves before it even goes out to the halves. Edwards support play or Naden kick chase is 2 under used moves. Barrett and Api can come up with a few moves surely.. the less imput from Ivan the better

8. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

But we could’ve done the same with Burns or Cartwright on the bench. That isn’t Capewell dependent.

9. Fangs

Fangs Bench

By clash I just meant styles. Nothing personal. I believe the team played a lot better with Maloney in charge but you just don't know.

Naden kick chase stuff should be a priority, its a big asset for us.

10. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Cartwright has 1 game was gassed after 15 mins.
    Burns 2 games. 1 as a centre

A big risk if you need them to play long mins if you lose someone to HIA early.

Nothing saying they won’t get the role but atleast now you have someone proven in the meantime

11. Dave's mate

Dave's mate Juniors

Signing Zane Tetevano shows the club really learned from the May situation.......this club is truly ran by f**kwits

billypilgrimnz likes this.
  12. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

I just think he plays better eyes up footy. A proper attack coach should help Nathan too can have proper structures but Api is a better option for the stuff you can’t plan for

13. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

Doesn’t seem a big risk for a team that won’t be challenging for the title or even the top 4. Next year is the perfect year to blood youngsters from the bench.

14. betcats

betcats Coach

I find it very hard to believe the back five we have now could go worse than the back five we started last year with. Edwards was woeful. Dallin was makin plenty of errors. Waqa looked like a shell of himself. They were terrible the opening rounds. Too is an Improvement over dallin on the wing, better reads defensively, similar metres and he is a better finisher. Mansour will likely be the other winger, coming off a down year he could get worse but it’s not likely. Naden is a fair downgrade defensively on waqa we all know that but he can sniff out a try better than any outside back we’ve had for a while and we have lost Jimmy from that side defensively which hopefully will help. Lot of reasons to expect Naden to improve also. Edwards, if he starts worse than he did this I will give it away. That was the worst run of terrible form from any fullback I’ve ever seen. Even that game on the wing he lost for us with a one on one simple missed tackle against the titans. The type of tackle he never would’ve missed.

So I can see an argument our back line won’t get better but I can’t see how it could possibly be worse than last season when we only just missed the 8.

The big unknown is how big a loss is Jimmy. I’f the spine can get her better somehow then we should get better, good enough for the 8, not a threat though but everyone can see that.

15. billypilgrimnz

billypilgrimnz Bench

I have no opinion about the signing of Capewell - I'm sure I must have seen him play, but I have never paid him any attention, good or bad. We'll see how he goes.

f**k Tetevano though. f**k that shit all to hell.

ACTPanthers and betcats like this.
  16. BossleyPanther

BossleyPanther Juniors

Zane Tetevano is an improvement on RCG in manyways

17. OldPanther

OldPanther Coach

Absolutely but we've put our depth into a single position likely with the thought the second rowers will fill in the centres and middle if there's injuries.

18. billypilgrimnz

billypilgrimnz Bench

I honestly don't give a f**k, to be honest, about how he compares to RCG on the field.

19. betcats

betcats Coach

It’s almost worse that he is half decent.

20. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

Don’t think peoples objections are about his skill level.

ACTPanthers likes this.