1. Out Now:

The next edition of our exclusive weekly online e-magazine is here. The Front Row is your ideal guide to NRL Round 13 and Super League Round 8, with news, features, results, reports, teamlists, match stats and previews to accompany your weekend of footy viewing ahead.

This week's feature story is a history piece from Andrew Ferguson, with an insight into the life of the man who refereed the first NSWRFL first grade match in 1908 - Ted Hooper.

There's all the regular bits - the crossword and word jumbles, last week's wrap of results, reports, the ladder, stats leaders, match review and player of the year; plus your match program, with teamlists, player stats, head-to-head stats, match info and a full preview of every game of the NRL. There's also a detailed Super League program section.

EDITION 11 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by herbert henry1908, Jun 1, 2016.

1. The yak

The yak Juniors

Funny that.
    After he was sacked he received numerous text messages from players from the club. Expressing sympathy and thanking him for their opportunities. A beautiful one came from Nathan according to a certain journalist.
    If you don't like or respect the bloke your hardly going to send him a message of thanks and support. You just don't bother - Unless you are warped.
    Hook had his faults and some players didn't get on with him - but he had others who did.

Coastal, BxTom and Blade23 like this.
  2. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

too soon to say for Ivan’s one’s moved on but those moved on under Hook haven’t kicked on either. It was just easy to blame the coach then players

3. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

There is set standards across every club. It is those that try to cut corners continually or that don’t follow it that have the issues

4. OldPanther

OldPanther Coach

If what people here are saying is true the club allowed it to become an issue. Maybe they don't support it but the fact we've had so many would suggest they need to make it a clearer part of the club moving forward.

5. Luke Bowden

Luke Bowden Bench

I think he’ll play one more season with the storm and leave. 2021 is what I think he’s looking at.

6. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

There were many issues of player’s being discplined in the recent history.. lower grades is much harder with work etc but Peachey trained in his clothes one day to not be late. Still was dropped under hook. The undiscplined stuff on the field kept going after coach changed.. as did the off field. I guess we see if it changes now after the cleanout

7. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Yeah they will come up with something to help

8. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

You’re probably right there, it’s getting late to sort out contracts for next year. I’d still be very interested in him for 2021. I don’t see any player coming through that’s like him.

If we signed him you’d commit everything we can in to improving Naden as a centre, and then have To’o & JAC on the wing for 2021.

With Tamou off contract there should be a little money to spend for the 2021 season, even if we re-sign him.

9. Abacus

Abacus Juniors

It was the correction of attitude in the club that players were unhappy with the coach about. A few precious ones didn't understand the need to buy into team discipline and tough training regimes. At least they're gone now.

Coastal likes this.
  10. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

I wonder if from a team perspective it’s better to change discipline a little more slowly? If you change coach is the best approach to go from on style to the next style immediately, or would it be better for the new coach to slowly change things?

He may well have done this, we can’t know. But it just strikes me that changing styles instantly may not be the best approach.

OldPanther likes this.
  11. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

you often get a good turnover of players the 1st couple of years... That seems to be the less painful way of doing it

12. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

I think the incoming coach could be mindful not to change things too quickly. It depends on a range of factors, but I feel some of the player turnover is all about the coach buying themselves time. If you’re a truly good coach you should be able mostly work with the squad you’ve inherited.

Coastal likes this.
  13. BxTom

BxTom Juniors

If there is a discipline problem at a club you would think that management would select a coach that could address that problem and would give said coach appropriate instructions and support.

But we select coaches on who's our mate instead.

Coastal and Abacus like this.
  14. Abacus

Abacus Juniors

Coaches get judged on results - leave it too long to change things and you're out of a job. Or you get stuck in a halfway house which becomes the norm. From previous leadership roles, my experience is you set your standard from the start. Going slowly just leads to mixed messages and a confused/directionless team.

Like I said, the irony is that the agitators were moved on by Ivan.

Pomoz likes this.
  15. John Hamblin

John Hamblin Juniors

Agree but the humble attitude of To'o and Leinu etc is VERY refreshing!!!

CCJohnC likes this.
  16. luv my panfas

luv my panfas Juniors

I dont confess to being an expert We all have different views on things Personally to judge ivan cleary on his first year in charge to harshly is unfair He came here with all good intention but was confronted with a major drama with the may issue The press still on his back after the tigers exit gillards personal issues disharmony among the ranks To suggest he should have been able to get the team up in his first year after all the shit that he inherited is a little unfair As a fan i am looking forward to an uninterupted pre season and a much better start He loves the area and i am happy to give him a fair go next year

Zampaa, InSucToSivE, Coastal and 3 others like this.
  17. Pomoz

Pomoz Juniors

This. I am not an Ivan fan, purely based on his results, but he has done the right thing by making the changes quickly and making it clear what is expected. Cultural change doesn't happen overnight, but it certainly doesn't happen if you don't make it clear from day one what is expected of the team.

In my experience, it becomes immediately clear this who will embrace the change and those who will never change. Time does not move those people, they just cause unrest and disaffection amongst the group because typically, they whinge and complain and try and turn the others against the new leader.

18. Pomoz

Pomoz Juniors

I should add that we shouldn't confuse changing the playing style with changing behaviour. Setting the standards of behaviour expected by the team is non-negotiable and it needs to be established early. Changing the playing style and tactics can be introduced more slowly so players get used to it.

Abacus and Crashtest like this.
  19. Crashtest

Crashtest Juniors

John Hamblin and OldPanther like this.
  20. Bob

Bob Juniors

Seriously don't want a petulant child like this in our squad

SOUR XERRI

Boom centre Bronson Xerri still wants out at Cronulla but is unlikely to find a new home at the Sydney Roosters with best mate Kyle Flanagan.

We can reveal a third party has contacted the Roosters offering Xerri for next year. Apparently he’s prepared to do a ‘Ryan Matterson’ and walk out on the Sharks.

The Roosters are reluctant. They have already earmarked two players to step into Latrell Mitchell’s spot at left centre — boom youngster Billy Smith or Brett Morris.

Xerri is apparently not happy about Jesse Ramien’s signing on much more money than he’s earning. Many rate Xerri a future Origin player.