What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Where to start. The only constant under Gus was himself. Lets look at CEO Phil Moss, Pascoe, Payne there were a few others in 8 years that is too many CEO’s.

4 coaches in that time. Every year a different spine. Player turnover crazy levels. Cap destroyed.

Does anyone he believe that Belmore trial was the 1st and only time Hook and Gus clashed?
yet he is re-signed

money was handed out like it is Monoply money under Gus.

This model seems much better whether those in the know are the right fit is the question
Not fair to throw out the "4 coaches" line. Buzz level shit there mate. Gus hired 2 coaches

franklin2323

Immortal
Not fair to throw out the "4 coaches" line. Buzz level shit there mate. Gus hired 2 coaches

So Elliott didn’t get a payout when he was fired?

We had 5 coaches in that time but Ciraldo stayed on so I didn’t count him

If we are talking wasted cash and not being a stable club it all counts.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Firing Elliott was worth it no matter the cost. Would have been worth it if it bankrupted the club

Why did it have to be mid season though? Gus did plenty right but many rash calls made.

Coaches hired and fired on a wimp

x player carves up lets guess he will be good and re-sign him long term on overs. Instead of a 2 year deal and negoiate after a season.

x player is playing bad. Lets get rid of him and pay some on the way. No way Bryce and Merrin we picked up on long deals without us putting some in.

This new way protects against one person going rogue like that

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Why did it have to be mid season though? Gus did plenty right but many rash calls made.

x player carves up lets guess he will be good and re-sign him long term on overs. Instead of a 2 year deal and negoiate after a season.

x player is playing bad. Lets get rid of him and pay some on the way. No way Bryce and Merrin we picked up on long deals without us putting some in.

As many of you know I loved much of what Gus did.

One major fault was (I remember saying something similar at the time). He was like a person who falls in and out of love easily and quickly. Gus then oft signed and re-signed on that basis. Then someone would catch his eye and the cycle would begin again.

Merrin was a good example of this. Oft signing them for overly long deals. The player I'm upset about us losing was CHN. He was a goodin and should have been kept at all costs. Was there someone else (re the sex scandal) going on there I have no idea.

Personally I'm happier about a group doing the recuiting. I'm also happier to see that super long term deals are no longer then norm within the club.

I think much of what Gus was great and has been kept by the club, the pathway development and such. The academy. But recuitment became to Gus like a kid continually wanting new toys, and then tiring of them within a short space of time.

franklin2323

Immortal
As many of you know I loved much of what Gus did.

One major fault was (I remember saying something similar at the time). He was like a person who falls in and out of love easily and quickly. Gus then oft signed and re-signed on that basis. Then someone would catch his eye and the cycle would begin again.

Merrin was a good example of this. Oft signing them for overly long deals. The player I'm upset about us losing was CHN. He was a goodin and should have been kept at all costs. Was there someone else (re the sex scandal) going on there I have no idea.

Personally I'm happier about a group doing the recuiting. I'm also happier to see that super long term deals are no longer then norm within the club.

I think much of what Gus was great and has been kept by the club, the pathway development and such. The academy. But recuitment became to Gus like a kid continually wanting new toys, and then tiring of them within a short space of time.

Perfect description of Gus there.

A great footy mind but should of had someone else incharge of the purse strings.

CHN is the example of someone we shouldn’t of had to lose. If other parts of the cap was better we’d have the funds to keep him instead of getting Winterstein and have better depth

mxlegend99

Referee

The board pushed him to sack Hook. So who exactly did he sack?

Matt Elliott... although the board brought Gus here to get rid of him and shake the club up. His job was to replace him.
Ivan Cleary the first time.
Hook who the board decided to sack despite Gus not wanting to rush into it mid-season. Ultimately because they wanted to make room for Ivan and push Gus out.

3 head coaches and only one of them presumably was a decision he made exclusively... Atleast we think. The board could have pressured him into that also.. either way the one he did sack you didn't rate at all at the time either.

Although somehow missing the finals 4 years in a row has changed your mind about him being a dud.

mxlegend99

Referee
Perfect description of Gus there.

A great footy mind but should of had someone else incharge of the purse strings.

CHN is the example of someone we shouldn’t of had to lose. If other parts of the cap was better we’d have the funds to keep him instead of getting Winterstein and have better depth
CHN is also the perfect example of someone who nearly every fan said wasn't a big loss, didn't weaken our top 17 and was easily replaced by someone on minimum wage.

franklin2323

Immortal
CHN is also the perfect example of someone who nearly every fan said wasn't a big loss, didn't weaken our top 17 and was easily replaced by someone on minimum wage.

Easily replaced by who? Winterstein, Sele, Fuimaono all ended the year in NSW Cup.

We lost 4 guys from the Sharks semi and only Crichton was the only one adequately replaced. Go back every season and was the same

franklin2323

Immortal
The board pushed him to sack Hook. So who exactly did he sack?

Matt Elliott... although the board brought Gus here to get rid of him and shake the club up. His job was to replace him.
Ivan Cleary the first time.
Hook who the board decided to sack despite Gus not wanting to rush into it mid-season. Ultimately because they wanted to make room for Ivan and push Gus out.

3 head coaches and only one of them presumably was a decision he made exclusively... Atleast we think. The board could have pressured him into that also.. either way the one he did sack you didn't rate at all at the time either.

Although somehow missing the finals 4 years in a row has changed your mind about him being a dud.

Did the board make Gus have the argument with Hook at the trial game? There were many issues from both sides to question why he was re-signed in the 1st place.

I didn’t and still don’t rate Ivan but here’s the thing. Why just before pre season? Could of let him start the season if all was going bad then make arrangements for a new coach then.

Then you aren’t rushed into finding the new coach and can actually go through the proper channels instead of making rushed call after rushed call.

The big difference is board, Gus’ replacement and the coaches are on the same page... Which wasn’t the case under Gus.

What is to say he lets Bennett do what he has to win games? He would of stuck his head in like with the coaches before.

Still don’t think we can win it with Ivan as coach but better set up for success this way

MugaB

Coach
We cannot keep them all, CHN leaving was sad, same as peach, but one thing Gould did well was set these guys up on long term deals elsewhere, whether we foot some of the bill or not, he looked after, bryce, peach, latu, moylan, CHN, and it continued on with DWZ, blake and RCG, all on long term deals elsewhere so we can lock up the next generation, otherwise those merkins the roosters and fkwitz like them will poach them.
Gus might have a poor wallet system (costanza style) but he had the players settled and happy knowing they'll be playing on in a club somewhere, not just turffed ala sele, fumioso etc

martielang

Bench
Their wingers are better. Munster is better then our halves but the rest is not much difference very inexperienced and a huge upside but as it stands atm can't say either way.

Seve has been to a few clubs and not cracked FG there has to be a reason behind it. People just like to whinge without looking at context

Olam, Paps & Seve all walk into our team without an issue.

Zampaa

Juniors
One thing nobody is mentioning with the budget cuts to the club, is there's a good chance that money doesn't need to be spent anymore,
We've already spent millions on the academy, all of the gym equipment, the recovery equipment, and everything else that we have, which doesn't need to be spent again.
I'd assume that we've spent enough to set us up for at least a few years on a lower budget before all of the equipment needs an upgrade.

TheFrog

Coach
What is to say he lets Bennett do what he has to win games? He would of stuck his head in like with the coaches before.
Bennett would have told him where to get off, not unlike Hook really but with more success behind him.

The board pushed him to sack Hook.

I don't swallow this, nor do I swallow that Hook had to be sacked four games out from the finals because Ivan was going to talk to Wests Tigers (when Cleary could have easily been told to stay schtum until the season was over). It just doesn't pass the bullshit test for me.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
One thing nobody is mentioning with the budget cuts to the club, is there's a good chance that money doesn't need to be spent anymore,
We've already spent millions on the academy, all of the gym equipment, the recovery equipment, and everything else that we have, which doesn't need to be spent again.
I'd assume that we've spent enough to set us up for at least a few years on a lower budget before all of the equipment needs an upgrade.

Ageed
I read somewhere (think it was twitter) that the extra money also included the payout to Gus and the other players moved on.

Spending 2.8 Million for grass roots and junior development is still quite a wack.

franklin2323

Immortal

Absolutely right. Alot of one off costs in the article

mxlegend99

Referee
Easily replaced by who? Winterstein, Sele, Fuimaono all ended the year in NSW Cup.

We lost 4 guys from the Sharks semi and only Crichton was the only one adequately replaced. Go back every season and was the same
Go read threads from all these players that left. Im not the one who said he was easily replaced. Just about everyone else did. No player we have ever lossed is a loss. Every signibg improved us.

The bias in decisions made by the club is laughable at times. Let players go. Sign them. Etc. There are always people here defending these decisions as the right move. Because the club can do no wrong... they (abd you) then rewrite history as they are doing now with Gus.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
I don't swallow this, nor do I swallow that Hook had to be sacked four games out from the finals because Ivan was going to talk to Wests Tigers (when Cleary could have easily been told to stay schtum until the season was over). It just doesn't pass the bullshit test for me.
Hook had to be sacked because he pissed the board off with his attitude in Brisbane after they destroyed us. They wanted answers from him and decided to wait in the dressing rooms for him. They were shocked to find him in the dressing rooms not watching the end of the game. They couldnt believe it and that was the moment they decided to sack him.

Gus didn't want to sack him during the season. But was pressured into it. Gus had no idea what exactly the board was aiming for at the time. Hence wasting time trying to line up Bennett when the board had done all of this with Cleary in mind and had met with him before we sacked Hook.

It was a few weeks after that loss he was officially sacked. Giving the board time to line up his replacement. Dave O'Neil had already met with Ivan before this happened. That meeting was followed by Hook being sacked. It happened quiet publicly... the only thing is Gus took the heat for it either to save the club or try not to look like he had no power. But that was the point where he basically lost all his power.

Status
Not open for further replies.