What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
Go read threads from all these players that left. Im not the one who said he was easily replaced. Just about everyone else did. No player we have ever lossed is a loss. Every signibg improved us.

The bias in decisions made by the club is laughable at times. Let players go. Sign them. Etc. There are always people here defending these decisions as the right move. Because the club can do no wrong... they (abd you) then rewrite history as they are doing now with Gus.

You blew up when we released players this year. Gus released more players most years he was here. Overall he left us in a much better position then he found us and I’ll always be fond of him for it but he made mistakes also. I don’t like to comment to much on his cap management but I think he did ok, though some of the figures thrown around for guys like rcg and dallin are concerning I’m sure he’d have had us cap compliant had he been left in charge. That being said in hindsight I am glad we have moved on from just one guy running the cap, no matter who it is I don’t think it is a great setup.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
You blew up when we released players this year. Gus released more players most years he was here. Overall he left us in a much better position then he found us and I’ll always be fond of him for it but he made mistakes also. I don’t like to comment to much on his cap management but I think he did ok, though some of the figures thrown around for guys like rcg and dallin are concerning I’m sure he’d have had us cap compliant had he been left in charge. That being said in hindsight I am glad we have moved on from just one guy running the cap, no matter who it is I don’t think it is a great setup.
I blew up when Gus released players I like too. I blew up when we paid overs to sign players like James Tamou aswell.

When things get even worse ofcourse I will critiscize that too. Certainly not going to be singing praises for signing guys who add little to our top17 while huge holes remain. When was the last time we had a squad with a backline this bad? God it makes you long for the days where Brad Tighe and Adrian Purtell were theissue.

franklin2323

Immortal

There is far worse teams out there. Also far better teams at getting value for money. The problem with the one person doing it is emotion can easily get involved. That is what I think happened we lost Bryce on decent money.. yet signed no one. That was a red flag to me as too guys getting overs

franklin2323

Immortal
Go read threads from all these players that left. Im not the one who said he was easily replaced. Just about everyone else did. No player we have ever lossed is a loss. Every signibg improved us.

The bias in decisions made by the club is laughable at times. Let players go. Sign them. Etc. There are always people here defending these decisions as the right move. Because the club can do no wrong... they (abd you) then rewrite history as they are doing now with Gus.

I have said for a few years now we are stuffing our cap

Bryce.. not replaced
Peachey/CHN let go a year before upgrades kicked in.

The squad wasn’t good enough to be right on the cap.

Still isn’t but there is only 5 players contracted for 2022. So there is room to bring guys in without having to pay other clubs to take guys

betcats

Referee
I blew up when Gus released players I like too. I blew up when we paid overs to sign players like James Tamou aswell.

When things get even worse ofcourse I will critiscize that too. Certainly not going to be singing praises for signing guys who add little to our top17 while huge holes remain. When was the last time we had a squad with a backline this bad? God it makes you long for the days where Brad Tighe and Adrian Purtell were theissue.

I think our backs are going to surprise you tbh but we have to wait and see, I just done see any huge holes. The backs are thin but that is just assuming no one improves. If To'o, Naden and Crichton get better we are fine. Our forward pack is improved you must see that even if you don't think it was needed. There are question marks on the halves but we both believe in Nath and I think Luai and Burton are good prospects. Api come in as a clear improvement in a vital position. I really see a team that can improve a lot on last season.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
I think our backs are going to surprise you tbh but we have to wait and see, I just done see any huge holes. The backs are thin but that is just assuming no one improves. If To'o, Naden and Crichton get better we are fine. Our forward pack is improved you must see that even if you don't think it was needed. There are question marks on the halves but we both believe in Nath and I think Luai and Burton are good prospects. Api come in as a clear improvement in a vital position. I really see a team that can improve a lot on last season.
We havent got a single decent centre on our backs.

Naden has too many deficiencies through being a fullback/winger his whole career. Whare is physically incapable of beibg what he used to be through no fault of his own.

We had one fantastic centre and got rid of him. Not enough priority was put on replacing him. We should never have settled for players we didn't absolutely need.

We blame Gus for being emotional with players. Yet we have Ivan as coach for 5 years because the board feared losing Nathan. So threw 5 year $10m deals at them. But blame everything else on Gus.

I wanted Ivan to end up replacing him. Until I saw Ivan doing those things as part of his job

betcats

Referee
We havent got a single decent centre on our backs.

Naden has too many deficiencies through being a fullback/winger his whole career. Whare is physically incapable of beibg what he used to be through no fault of his own.

We had one fantastic centre and got rid of him. Not enough priority was put on replacing him. We should never have settled for players we didn't absolutely need.

That is your opinion. We will see if Waqa can bounce back after doing nothing last year. He was far from fantastic.

franklin2323

Immortal

Really no reason why the team can’t improve

mxlegend99

Referee
Really no reason why the team can’t improve
Other than an inferior roster?

Ivan hasnt coached a team to the finals since we made it in 2014. That was on the back of Soward, Moylan and Segeyaro being in form that none of our spine can come close to matching.

Whare at his peak pre-injury. Idris survived a rare full season. Peak Mansour on one wing. DWZ and Simmons sharing the other.

Granted we carried a player who wouldnt come close to this years top 17 in the form of Smith. But realistically this squad hdoesas alot of huge flaws in it and is the weakest we have had since 2011 or 2012. I dont think we've had a side this weak make the finals.

franklin2323

Immortal

Ivan hasnt coached a team to the finals since we made it in 2014. That was on the back of Soward, Moylan and Segeyaro being in form that none of our spine can come close to matching.

Whare at his peak pre-injury. Idris survived a rare full season. Peak Mansour on one wing. DWZ and Simmons sharing the other.

Granted we carried a player who wouldnt come close to this years top 17 in the form of Smith. But realistically this squad hdoesas alot of huge flaws in it and is the weakest we have had since 2011 or 2012. I dont think we've had a side this weak make the finals.

Aside from the Roosters. The rest of the comp is open for the rest of the top 8.

We have a better squad now then we had when we were 2 and 8.

This starting pack will stand up against most in the comp

Tamou
Api
JFH
Kikau
Martin
Yeo

We now have the option to put a Kiwi test player and a fringe Origin player from very successful clubs on the bench. Which allows guys like Blore, Jed and Hetherington find form in NSW Cup after disrupted seasons.

Got the NSW half - Should continue to develop
To'o could be anything
Edwards is off contract so you'd expect he would want to perform
Crichton tasted FG. Played SOO u'20's...Having a pre season would help him. As Naden

I'd rate our roster over Brisbane, Souths have no forwards. Sharks are still getting cap right. WT are weaker. Question marks on what the Storm roster will look like

So no reason we can't atleast finish 6-8 and that is a good result given how the roster stands

John Hamblin

Juniors

I am very optimistic about next year. Our forward roster is much improved and we have a great bunch of forward prospects. Centre is our big problem but Chrichton has a very high ceiling. I am genuinely exicted about next year and will be back us to make the eight.

Pomoz

Bench
Where to start. The only constant under Gus was himself. Lets look at CEO Phil Moss, Pascoe, Payne there were a few others in 8 years that is too many CEO’s.

4 coaches in that time. Every year a different spine. Player turnover crazy levels. Cap destroyed.

Does anyone he believe that Belmore trial was the 1st and only time Hook and Gus clashed?
yet he is re-signed

money was handed out like it is Monoply money under Gus.

This model seems much better whether those in the know are the right fit is the question
Cap destroyed? Based on what evidence? The word of his replacements, who are saying we are trying to fix up Gus's mess? The same Gus they allowed to make a mess, if they are to be believed. Why didn't they sack him, if what they are saying is true? Makes no sense whatsoever.

You have focused on the "how", not the "what". Stop speculating about what was done by Gus and talk about results. Four from 5. Let's talk in five years and see how we have gone. Hopefully we are at least as successful or even better.

As I have said, whether this model is better will be known in due course. As long as its legal and fair, it's about the outcomes. Personally, I don't give a stuff about what model is used, as long as it works. Getting hung up about the "how", is just dogmatic. Things change and you need to move dynamically in response to what's happening.

franklin2323

Immortal
Cap destroyed? Based on what evidence? The word of his replacements, who are saying we are trying to fix up Gus's mess? The same Gus they allowed to make a mess, if they are to be believed. Why didn't they sack him, if what they are saying is true? Makes no sense whatsoever.

You have focused on the "how", not the "what". Stop speculating about what was done by Gus and talk about results. Four from 5. Let's talk in five years and see how we have gone. Hopefully we are at least as successful or even better.

As I have said, whether this model is better will be known in due course. As long as its legal and fair, it's about the outcomes. Personally, I don't give a stuff about what model is used, as long as it works. Getting hung up about the "how", is just dogmatic. Things change and you need to move dynamically in response to what's happening.

Simple gains and losses show something was not as it should be. Like where did Bryce’s rumoured $500k go?

4 of 5 in finals looks good in isolation yes. If it was good enough why were 2 head coaches fired in that time?

martielang

Bench
All this Hook talk is making me miss him.

The Hook goin in the dressing rooms early thing has to be one of the most blown out of proportion agenda driven things I’ve ever heard. Absolute non-event that happens at half or full time every single weekend.

Fangs

Coach

The Hook goin in the dressing rooms early thing has to be one of the most blown out of proportion agenda driven things I’ve ever heard. Absolute non-event that happens at half or full time every single weekend.

Don't forget that was Hook's magic weekend. It was just him, the boys and a few select staff. That was his way of ensuring we could be at our best against the Broncos.

The proof, is in the pudding...or is it in the eating? Ask Hook.

mxlegend99

Referee

It certainly pissed the board members off who were in Queensland at the time.

Let's not forget he ditched all the other training staff while up there. Took the boys to Timezone instead of preparing for the game and we were shell shocked with the Broncos putting points on us quicker than the clock was ticking over at one point. If Broncos didnt ease off in the second half we could have been destroyed by our biggest ever margin.

Hook decides to skip the end ofthe game and when board members wanted to wait and question him what was up... he was already in the dressing rooms snd could only ask them who was respomsible for that try scored.

This from a coach who had increasingly distanced himself from his boss and colleagues while having a very small group of players he actually got along with and a very large group that didn't like him.

Having said all that. Hook and Gus were a better combination than Ivan and our committee. The standard they set was top 8 and week 2 of finals. They couldnt build on it. But its a hell of alot better than no finals at all. Another seasonoutof the8 and I will miss a coach I havent liked since 2017 aswell. When he f**ked up the start of our 2017 season. I lost faith in him. Idid the exact same for Ivan when he did that in 2019.

Pretty hard to argue against missing the finals twice in the past 5 years with Ivan as coach, and making it 3/3 timeswhen he wasn't the coach.

Throw in Ivan missing 2/2 and I cant believe how much loyalty he is getting from us. Meanwhile the guy who saved the club from folding. Managed to convincepeopleto invest millions upon millions of dollars into junior pathways, facilities for the teams etc. is widely accused of destroying the club. Its unbelievable.

franklin2323

Immortal
Only Panthers fans would think the GM of Footy blasting a head coach over the way the team is playing in a trial game...As having a good combination

Status
Not open for further replies.