What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd hope he'd have some smart operators in his corner saying "Sure, that's a lot of money, and a guaranteed starting spot, but, it's at the Bulldogs (or some other shit team)... Think about it mate"

I think we're in a good position with a bit of success at the moment so can use that to sway signings. This is something we are just not used to.

Our success definitely helps, but for someone who’s young I’m not sure it’s a huge deal.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Our success definitely helps, but for someone who’s young I’m not sure it’s a huge deal.
That's where the support people come in - It may not be a big deal to him now, but the older heads can provide the needed advice that if he stays, he'll end up in a really talented team with better chance at success. Well, that's my hope anyway :)

I think Matt would appreciate the value of his current situation. Training with the comp leaders, only an ankle injury away from featuring in the finals. As long as he's on reasonable pay, he should extend a year or two and bide his time. It didn't do Luai any harm. Desperate clubs will make big offers though.
"Hey Matt, here's a bag of cash, now fix this mess."

Difference with Luai is he had a reasonably clear path to the team because of Maloney’s age.

If he does re-sign it’ll be a huge coup, but we’ll need to get to work finding him another possible spot aside from 5/8.

Last edited:
That's where the support people come in - It may not be a big deal to him now, but the older heads can provide the needed advice that if he stays, he'll end up in a really talented team with better chance at success. Well, that's my hope anyway :)

I take your point, but if he’s not actually playing regular footy, how much is he going to feel a part of that success? I’m sure he’d be excited by it, but being in the team makes a huge difference.

I’m hoping we can get a look at him playing centre or fullback in NSW cup early next year.

Length of the deal will be interesting. Contracts aren’t as solid as they used to be, but the length of the deal will say something about his & the clubs intent.

WestyLife

First Grade
Difference with Luai is he had a reasonably clear path to the team because of Maloney’s age.

If he does re-sign it’ll be a huge coup, but we’ll need to get to work finding him another possible spot aside from 5/8.

We'll probably see him get more game time once re-signed. I think @betcats mentioned not playing him and raising his price as an idea.

We'll probably see him get more game time once re-signed. I think @betcats mentioned not playing him and raising his price as an idea.

Interesting thought. That could be a factor for not playing him in another position outside of the halves, but not the halves itself. I’m sure Cleary would select whichever half he thought was best for the position right now.

The_Frog

First Grade

It would also stick it up the NRL360 crowd who've been reporting all year that other clubs are after him, while carrying on about how professional the Roosters are to be able to keep both Lam and Flanagan happy even though only one can make the side.

franklin2323

Immortal
He is only an injury away now. With some lower grade footy could play other positions no reason he can't be a regular by next year

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Which raises the question was Hetherington already on borrowed time at the Panthers when he was loaned to the Warriors?

I think he’s on borrowed time, this latest suspension could well have been the final straw.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jack was told to go the Warriors and show us what you can do and show us that you can play with discipline.

I hope I’m wrong, I really do, but think he’ll be gone next season.

He is only an injury away now. With some lower grade footy could play other positions no reason he can't be a regular by next year

I see him forcing Naden to the wing with enough practice at centre. Fullback is another option, but there’s lots of competition there.

Back row might be his position eventually, but not anytime soon. He’s not going to be big enough for it for a few years.

franklin2323

Immortal
I see him forcing Naden to the wing with enough practice at centre. Fullback is another option, but there’s lots of competition there.

Back row might be his position eventually, but not anytime soon. He’s not going to be big enough for it for a few years.

Yeah that is how I see it. Too soon for Backrow but we have a lack of centre depth

Blade23

Juniors
There’s plenty of people out there suggesting Matt Burton will head elsewhere sooner rather than later, given he can’t find his way into the top 17 at the Panthers. But I’m told Burton is actually on the verge of extending his stay with the club, keen to remain in the system and bide his time waiting for an opportunity in Ivan Cleary’s side. It’ll certainly shock some ‘experts’ when it happens, but don’t be surprised if the Panthers announce a new deal for Burton in the coming weeks.

https://westernweekender.com.au/2020/08/masked-panther-burton-to-extend-stay-at-penrith/

Posted last week.

May is not far off.

A few more players they are working on. Burton, Spencer, Luai, etc. A big push to tie up the kids before the vultures can officially circle.

;)

Blade23

Juniors
I think Matt would appreciate the value of his current situation. Training with the comp leaders, only an ankle injury away from featuring in the finals. As long as he's on reasonable pay, he should extend a year or two and bide his time. It didn't do Luai any harm. Desperate clubs will make big offers though.
"Hey Matt, here's a bag of cash, now fix this mess."

The club doesn't stand in the way of a player should they have an opportunity to further advance their careers elsewhere if their path is blocked. It was a strong belief of Gould and continues under Matt Cameron.
We don't stack talent or string players along. That rubs off on young players here. They know where they stand.
Burton is a big part of the club's future and they have long term plans for him. He could end up in the centres, 5/8 or backrow like Wade Graham.

soc123_au

Staff member
The club doesn't stand in the way of a player should they have an opportunity to further advance their careers elsewhere if their path is blocked. It was a strong belief of Gould and continues under Matt Cameron.
We don't stack talent or string players along. That rubs off on young players here. They know where they stand.
Burton is a big part of the club's future and they have long term plans for him. He could end up in the centres, 5/8 or backrow like Wade Graham.

I think Gus instilling that in the culture of the club will reap benefits long term. There will always be one we want to keep getting impatient & jumping at a seemingly better offer. But knowing that the club has your career in the NRL above just what may benefit the Panthers has to give players the confidence in staying put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts