What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
75% of Nadens trys would be scored by may, but the winger outside him would be scoring a whole lot more as may in the centres gives us the ball playing fullback in attack. There's more pros then cons with letting Naden leave early imo, and having may at 3.

75%?! No bloody way.

Naden is scoring tries a try in 68% of his games so far, that’s rare for the best of backs.

May isn’t a long term centre at all, he’s not quick or agile enough. He’s a fill in at best.

franklin2323

Immortal
75%?! No bloody way.

Naden is scoring tries a try in 68% of his games so far, that’s rare for the best of backs.

May isn’t a long term centre at all, he’s not quick or agile enough. He’s a fill in at best.

How many of the tries he score actually come from a x factor he caused? That is what I took that post to mean. It doesn't have a palm or outstanding foot work.

So why May won't be centre long term there are others that are probably better which explains the hold up with re-signing

How many of the tries he score actually come from a x factor he caused? That is what I took that post to mean. It doesn't have a palm or outstanding foot work.

So why May won't be centre long term there are others that are probably better which explains the hold up with re-signing

Quite a lot.

I watched the highlights of his tries this year the other day, and whilst he hasn’t scored as many from kicks, he’s scored a lot as a back up runner using his speed. May can’t do that nearly as well.

I get the concern about Naden’s defence, but let’s not downplay his attacking ability. He’s one of the most natural try scorers I’ve seen come into FG for a long time.

franklin2323

Immortal
Quite a lot.

I watched the highlights of his tries this year the other day, and whilst he hasn’t scored as many from kicks, he’s scored a lot as a back up runner using his speed. May can’t do that nearly as well.

I get the concern about Naden’s defence, but let’s not downplay his attacking ability. He’s one of the most natural try scorers I’ve seen come into FG for a long time.

May can't but To'o and others score tries due to the better passing. So it evens out and if you get someone like Braden Burns you get the same attributes Naden brings with better defence.

Burton is quicker then Naden and passes like May so is both. Staines on the wing with To'o in centre too.

My point is there are options which aren't Naden to look into over the off season. Ideally Naden re-signs and you work on him too but I can't see that happening

franklin2323

Immortal
This just reads as more recency bias to me, many people on these boards fall victim to it.

No not at all. Most people yourself included before a ball was kicked this year. Wanted Naden as winger replacing Mansour. So it isn't like he was a lock for centre all year. Wing probably is his position moving forward

May can't but To'o and others score tries due to the better passing. So it evens out and if you get someone like Braden Burns you get the same attributes Naden brings with better defence.

Burton is quicker then Naden and passes like May so is both. Staines on the wing with To'o in centre too.

My point is there are options which aren't Naden to look into over the off season. Ideally Naden re-signs and you work on him too but I can't see that happening

Yeah but I was responding to the claim May would score 75% of Naden’s tries, that’s pure nonsense.

WestyLife

First Grade
Honestly it should be Burton or Naden at centre. No way you want to try and make May the right centre permanently or move To'o who is the next Mansour with Staines coming to balance the two wings.

No not at all. Most people yourself included before a ball was kicked this year. Wanted Naden as winger replacing Mansour. So it isn't like he was a lock for centre all year. Wing probably is his position moving forward

I still think he’s a winger, I’m talking about people downplaying his attack all of a sudden. People do that in their minds in order to justify the change.

Honestly it should be Burton or Naden at centre. No way you want to try and make May the right centre permanently or move To'o who is the next Mansour with Staines coming to balance the two wings.

I’m not sure Naden is ever going to get the hang of the defensive reads, I’m sure the club has worked on it a lot and he hasn’t improved.

franklin2323

Immortal
I still think he’s a winger, I’m talking about people downplaying his attack all of a sudden. People do that in their minds in order to justify the change.

Different type of attack between creating something and scoring off someone else. To'o should be getting more ball Martin is how he is.
Nathan isn't that creative. Edwards is getting better but like Cleary is better as support.
So IF you are going to make a change then why not try to improve that side of it too.

franklin2323

Immortal

I still think Burton should take Martin's spot with Martin at prop. Can buy a centre but IF Burton re-signs he should be centre for round 1

Different type of attack between creating something and scoring off someone else. To'o should be getting more ball Martin is how he is.
Nathan isn't that creative. Edwards is getting better but like Cleary is better as support.
So IF you are going to make a change then why not try to improve that side of it too.

Again, not what I was talking about. I don’t dispute May is better at passing, that’s obvious to Stevie Wonder.

I was responding to the claim May would score 75% of Naden’s tries.

The_Frog

First Grade
Matt Burton would be better, that's just my opinion.
We're talking 2021 here, I take it, not this Sunday.
Brent Naden has some defensive issues but he has not got the credit he deserves for a very good season. I hope he starts on Sunday night, if not, then probably not worth having him in the team at all.
If he was going to be targeted by the Rabbitohs, he'll be targeted by the Storm, especially after we've announced it to the world. Unless something has been fixed in the past few days.

Original Name

Juniors
What did I just read?!? For years he was not a good defender, even during his peak he was known for getting caught out of position. Players do become better defensively as they age and I'd rate him a better than average defender now on the wing - but he'd get absolutely carved at centre.
He couldn't turn that quickly because he had no trust in his leg and that's why people called him a bad defender, more so a lack of agility than decision making. It's evident in these last couples months he's over that with him using much more footwork in the later half of the year compared to non he had post knee reconstruction - the start of 2020.

WestyLife

First Grade
I’m not sure Naden is ever going to get the hang of the defensive reads, I’m sure the club has worked on it a lot and he hasn’t improved.

I always thought he was a winger as well but I don't think Panthers have a wing spot for him. So I see it as he makes it at centre or has to go elsewhere.

We're talking 2021 here, I take it, not this Sunday.

If he was going to be targeted by the Rabbitohs, he'll be targeted by the Storm, especially after we've announced it to the world. Unless something has been fixed in the past few days.

Yeah I assumed 2021 as well.

mxlegend99

Referee
Centre was the major flaw we had at the start of the year with no standout options and yet we've only lost one game and are a good chance at a grand final win on Sunday. So no matter what this season has been outstanding.

Naden was always a poor defender better suited to wing. Although he has done a fantastic job for mine and is the best of our options who got a chance.

We knew his flaws before the season started and it's insane Ivan is only deciding in prelims and grand final week that we need to fix it. We needed to panic earlier... Not now when we can't possibly know the decisions we make will improve us. We could be making it worse. At this point I feel we should stick with what was good enough to win us the minor premiership.

Stick with Naden. Mainly because no one else had a big enough chance to prove they could do a better job. May was good last week. Looked good on stats too. But Souths tries all came down that edge still... So I don't see him as improving our edge defence. He's a better defender in general. But i dont think he has enough experience at centre and defending with those guys to be an improvement in general. If he was thrown in and left there he probably perfects it. But I wouldnt be counting on that against Olam this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.