What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Hard to get excited with the thought of Wallace in the spine again. Two years ago, he wasn't good enough for Griffin at the Broncos. Now apparently he is worth a contract extension because he can pass the ball from dummy half. Can't help but feel getting Soward and Wallace at the same time screwed everything up, two older guys suddenly giving over to two young guys. Soward and a Sezer would have been great, a Soward and a Maloney, whatever. Now we are between two stools and I can see next season being yet another "building season"

When does Whare's contract expire? If it is at the end of this season then I definitely think he should be re-signed. He wouldn't have a very strong negotiating position with recent injuries so we would probably keep him for a decent price. We also don't have a lot of depth in the centres, and injury free he is outstanding.

End 2017.

Hard to get excited with the thought of Wallace in the spine again. Two years ago, he wasn't good enough for Griffin at the Broncos. Now apparently he is worth a contract extension because he can pass the ball from dummy half. Can't help but feel getting Soward and Wallace at the same time screwed everything up, two older guys suddenly giving over to two young guys. Soward and a Sezer would have been great, a Soward and a Maloney, whatever. Now we are between two stools and I can see next season being yet another "building season"

I'm fine with him at hooker if it means bringing in a young half.

Once the half is established Wallace won't see much FG. They'll bring in a new hooker then.

Plus I do like the idea of a hooker with a kicking game.

TheFrog

Coach

Wallace played all 24 games at Brisbane in 2013, his last season at the Broncos. The last 7 were off the bench, when Hunt was brought up. One of his 17 starting games was at hooker. It must have been this game that convinced Griffin that he was worth a go in the 9, and now it appears he's the best 9 we have in the club.

He will cost us $200k at the most a season, maybe even less. For that you get 200 games of experience, a bloke who can play halves or hooker, gives crisp service from dummy half, can kick from dummy half, and will make 40 tackles a game. He can also kick goals. Exceptional value in my opinion, even for a depth signing. You might find a better hooker/half on the open market if you are lucky, but not at this price, and we seem to have blown the bank on Tamou.

Last edited:
Thats a pretty shitty thing to say, regardless of how much you dislike someone.

People make mistakes, hope he does well and forces his way into the NRL in the near future.

Maybe but its nothing compared to threatening the murder women. The bloke is scum

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Wallace played all 24 games at Brisbane in 2013, his last season at the Broncos. The last 7 were off the bench, when Hunt was brought up. One of his 17 starting games was at hooker. It must have been this game that convinced Griffin that he was worth a go in the 9, and now it appears he's the best 9 we have in the club.

He will cost us $200k at the most a season, maybe even less. For that you get 200 games of experience, a bloke who can play halves or hooker, gives crisp service from dummy half, can kick from dummy half, and will make 40 tackles a game. He can also kick goals. Exceptional value in my opinion, even for a depth signing. You might find a better hooker/half on the open market if you are lucky, but not at this price, and we seem to have blown the bank on Tamou.

I beg to differ on the bolded part. And the fact that he is our best hooker now is more of a slight on our squad building, which I think has been mismanaged.

I don't understand getting Tamou on big coin. It seems as if we are pretty much betting everything on Martin and Cleary turning out to be a superstar pairing and one of the young hookers as well - in other words, relying on 75% of our spine to all flower at once, pretty much, just as our aging halves depart - while spending silly money on a prop. It doesn't make sense to me.

Personally, I would bin the Tamou transfer, promote Cleary and one of the young hookers for the rest of the season to see whether they have what it takes (this season is not going to happen anyway; I don't see the point in playing it safe with Wallace at hooker and some random backrower at stand-off), and then make a decision on recruitment later.

tripster

Juniors

Good analysis and agree completely. Wallace has shown this season that he is the best hooker in our club (and is, I think, a better hooker at this stage of his career than halfback.) Keeping him on a modest, 1 year contract, is a no brainer.

betcats

Referee
Whare is contracted next season. I wouldn't want to pay another club to take him so we can then give Mansour a big contract, that's how Parramatta happens.

mxlegend99

Referee
Withdraw our offer to the bloke who doesnt want to come here and increase the offer to the bloke who doesn't want to leave.

Tamou isn't worth near what we are offering. Our cap is supposed to be in a good position yet we cant afford to keep our best off contract player?

Hiku was a horrible signing regardless of how he played because it was always going to lead to us losing someone. We had Blake, Rennings and Gennings in reserve grade. We had Yeo and Peachey capable of filling in at centre. Why throw $400k at a bloke who couldn't nail down a spot at Manly when we had a lot of competition for spots already?

Now we're throwing $800k at a prop that doesn't want to come here and will only be chasing the pay day if he does... and are leaving a bloke who loves the club in a position where he can't stay.

This is horrible cap management IMO. You don't pay big money for players you don't need and then lose players who want to stay because of it. We released Korisau early and as predicted it's a decision we now regret. We should have kept him and when this Segeyaro shit went down we move him on no worries. Instead we are losing the hooker who was a key part of rebuilding the club and have no backup plan.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Why throw $400k at a bloke who couldn't nail down a spot at Manly when we had a lot of competition for spots already?

A bloke who played the second-most minutes in 2015 at Manly "couldn't nail down a spot"? I know you hate him with every fibre of your being, as you love to remind us, but let's not make shit up.

Yeo is in no way a center, and Peachey was never played there until this season, Blake sucks as a winger, and the Jenningses have done zero for us so far. Hiku can cover centre, wing and fullback.

EDIT: I will agree it is horrible cap management, but not for that reason. The key mistakes to me are:

1. Signing both Wallace and Soward to long contracts at the same time
2. Recruiting Korosiau and then dumping him immediately.
3. Tamou will be number 3 if it happens...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts