What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think there’s mounting evidence that Gus was playing fast & loose with the salary cap.

The club is saying we moved on DWZ & Blake for salary cap reasons, why would you need to clear 800k-1m for the salary cap? That’s a huge chunk.

We’ll know more if Maloney stays here next year, and we only promote from within.

Had someone that knows a few people around the club suggest to me that they weren’t happy with all the 4-5 year deals either.

A few of us on here yourself included did have questions about the roster. I guess it is all coming out now...Whether these guys in charge can fix it is the doubt

Panther Mick

Juniors
Meanwhile, the Tyrone Peachey move to the Penrith Panthers before June 30 isn't dead just yet.

While Penrith had gone cold on the idea, NRL.com understands the Titans have reached out during the past 24 hours to gauge the Panthers' interest in Peachey following Waqa Blake's release.

The release of Blake and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak during the past few weeks has eased any salary cap pressure Penrith may have been under for 2020.

Penrith have chipped in some money for both players to leave, however fears of not being salary cap compliant in 2020 have since been eased.

The club hinted as much in the statement it made after Blake's release on Wednesday, declaring "it will assist the management of our salary cap moving forward".

Penrith has decided against actively pursuing Peachey because they didn't want to spend the money he is currently on at the Titans.

They are interested in Peachey, but only at the right price. The Titans know how much Penrith want to spend. How much the Titans are willing to pitch in will determine if he is a Panther in the coming days.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/27/lodge-peachey-could-move-as-silly-season-heats-up/

OldPanther

Coach
Meanwhile, the Tyrone Peachey move to the Penrith Panthers before June 30 isn't dead just yet.

While Penrith had gone cold on the idea, NRL.com understands the Titans have reached out during the past 24 hours to gauge the Panthers' interest in Peachey following Waqa Blake's release.

The release of Blake and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak during the past few weeks has eased any salary cap pressure Penrith may have been under for 2020.

Penrith have chipped in some money for both players to leave, however fears of not being salary cap compliant in 2020 have since been eased.

The club hinted as much in the statement it made after Blake's release on Wednesday, declaring "it will assist the management of our salary cap moving forward".

Penrith has decided against actively pursuing Peachey because they didn't want to spend the money he is currently on at the Titans.

They are interested in Peachey, but only at the right price. The Titans know how much Penrith want to spend. How much the Titans are willing to pitch in will determine if he is a Panther in the coming days.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/27/lodge-peachey-could-move-as-silly-season-heats-up/

It was said on NRL 360 last year or the year before we were one of the club's expecting a higher salary cap.

Crashtest

Juniors

Interesting choice of words "chipped in some money". Is that the Penrith club trying to subtly let be known that comments like Hooper's are way off the mark?

Panther Mick

Juniors
It was said on NRL 360 last year or the year before we were one of the club's expecting a higher salary cap.

Last year from memory.
Then the club released CHN to the Doggies and Merrin later on.
I don't know our cap situation but as Tronald said a page back the clubs next moves will be interesting. Now and by the end of the year.

mxlegend99

Referee
Kinda glad we arent just taking Peachey and will go without if Titans don't cover whatever we arent willing to pay.

I still don't see how Blake or Dallin could earn a cent beyond this year from us. If Eels approached us and Blake... and Dallin truly wanted out. It's seriously mind blowingly incompetent to pay them for not honouring their contracts.

If we forced them out... it's a different story obviously. Players shouldn't miss out because we changed our mind.

Clubs often move on players then roll out the old line of salary cap restrictions.
Its usually a miss truth to hide.

A) The player in the clubs eyes is overpaid and the club think they can better spread the money elsewhere.
B) The player is past it.
C) The player is a troublemaker.
D) The player has a bad attitude and it is spreading to rest of the squad.

We keep hearing the line of "this isn't Ivan's roster and he needs to make changes"

The next moves over the next 6 months will be interesting.

If we bring in a few rookies you know we have cap problems.
If we move on another highly paid player and bring in a few plodders, we have cap problems.
If we bring in a player like Peachey on decent coin and maybe 1 or 2 other lower reasonable signings then the salary cap line is BS.

It’s not just that they’re moving players on, it’s also the fact we know they’re paying a part of the salaries. This increases the chance the move was a need, not just something they wanted.

It’s also been reported that we were one of the clubs expecting a higher cap. I think it was expected to be $10m, but settled at 9.6m

But I agree, the next moves will tell us where we stand.

OldPanther

Coach
Kinda glad we arent just taking Peachey and will go without if Titans don't cover whatever we arent willing to pay.

I still don't see how Blake or Dallin could earn a cent beyond this year from us. If Eels approached us and Blake... and Dallin truly wanted out. It's seriously mind blowingly incompetent to pay them for not honouring their contracts.

If we forced them out... it's a different story obviously. Players shouldn't miss out because we changed our mind.

Yeah if we are paying anything it means the club were the ones moving them on for whatever reason.

martielang

Bench
If Peachey does come, he must play on the right instead of Whare. We have very little attacking threat on that side with the Yeo/Whare combo.

I just don't think Peach is that great a centre.

I'd be playing him lock I think. His ball playing ability might help cover Edwards (current) lack thereof.

franklin2323

Immortal

Beyond this year is the key point. We have already paid them something as contracts start at Nov 1. Maybe we agreed to an extra month or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts