What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, fair point. That's one thing that really bothers me. I'm not fully convinced about that quote. I can't imagine the circumstances in which he would say that. Did someone (I don't know who) ring him up? Did they bump into him at a game. Was he tricked or mis-quoted? I dunno. All I've heard from Panthers is that none of this has come from the club. If Fletcher did say that then yes, the guy's an arseclown.
Don't worry, there's plenty of ire to go around including the "sack the coach" fanatics who feed on this tabloid shit.

He has a history of stupid quotes. No reason to believe it wasn't him.

Blues Riff

Bench
He has a history of stupid quotes. No reason to believe it wasn't him.
I just wonder who he said it to. Did he say anything else? What was the context? These details got buried in an avalanche of bullshit and the quote was accepted as the truth by anybody with an opinion.
The fact that everybody says he said it doesn't convince me.

OldPanther

Coach
I just wonder who he said it to. Did he say anything else? What was the context? These details got buried in an avalanche of bullshit and the quote was accepted as the truth by anybody with an opinion.

I'm not convinced it wasn't meant to be about the hamstring injury and it got twisted for drama by the journos.

Wouldn't he deny it if it wasn't him? Seems like a strange thing to leave on the record.

The full quote has context too:

“I wouldn’t say I’m confident he’ll stay. I’d be 50/50. It just depends how he cops the discipline and if he gets his rehab right.’’

I'm not convinced it wasn't meant to be about the hamstring injury and it got twisted for drama by the journos.

Nah he specifically says "discipline & rehab"

You can't twist a full quote like this:

“I wouldn’t say I’m confident he’ll stay. I’d be 50/50. It just depends how he cops the discipline and if he gets his rehab right.’’

Plus this:

“If Matt came to us and said he had a better offer, and that’s what he wanted, we wouldn’t stand in his way.

“We only want what is best for him"

Kev07

Juniors
May led the 2015 NYC Premiership side in 8 categories
Tries
Tackles
Try Assist
Linebreaks
Linebreaks Assist
Tackle Busts
Decoys
Support Play
Playing 6 different positions 1,4,6,9,11 & 13.
A feat never done before or will ever be equaled Still didn't make NYC team of the Year or win Panthers NYC Player of the Year that season???
20170907_060004.jpg

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach

Plus this:

“If Matt came to us and said he had a better offer, and that’s what he wanted, we wouldn’t stand in his way.

Oh yeah that's fair. The CEO is a goose.

Blues Riff

Bench

Plus this:

Yeah I'm open to the fact that he's an idiot. The quote just came out of the blue though, almost as if he were responding to loaded rhetorical questions. Anyways, looks like one of the "incidents" Gus spoke of was a blow-up with the CEO. Idiotic and unprofessional but it doesn't contradict the club's stance on the matter.

betcats

Referee
Kent and Hooper are just clinging to old news. Everyone on FOX has been virtually brainwashed to accept that MM wants out of the club. This despite new info which contradicts this theory, including people who have spoken to Matt directly.
He had the perfect chance to air his grievances on Monday, which apparently he did not. So if Gus is bullshitting about the meeting, why then hasn't the manager or player made any statements to the contrary?
...but but what about this game over a year ago when the coach told him off? Stiff shit. Is it possible that everyone got over it and moved on?
..but but rumblings- whispers-unrest, f**k me, I've been with the same company for a decade. I'm just glad some of the comments I've made about the place haven't made the news.
I can't wait for NRL 360 tomorrow. Greg Alexander special guest. There wouldn't be anyone better placed to comment on the relationship between player and coach. Hopefully Kent will be compelled to shut the f**k up.

The thing is the easiest way to shut this down would be a statement from Moylan saying im not going anywhere, we worked out our issues etc and that hasn't happened.

Blues Riff

Bench
The thing is the easiest way to shut this down would be a statement from Moylan saying im not going anywhere, we worked out our issues etc and that hasn't happened.
Yeah, that'd be ideal.. Hopefully it happens soon, although I'd say that player and manager were involved in the press release wording. It's understandable that MM would want to lay low for a while.

Yeah I'm open to the fact that he's an idiot. The quote just came out of the blue though, almost as if he were responding to loaded rhetorical questions. Anyways, looks like one of the "incidents" Gus spoke of was a blow-up with the CEO. Idiotic and unprofessional but it doesn't contradict the club's stance on the matter.

Do you mean Gus had a blow up with the CEO or Moylan?

betcats

Referee
Yeah, that'd be ideal.. Hopefully it happens soon, although I'd say that player and manager were involved in the press release wording. It's understandable that MM would want to lay low for a while.

Yeah I guess so. Whatever does happen hopefully its resolved as quickly and cleanly as possible and not until the season is done.

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I'm thinking there was an incident between Moylan and Fletcher, things were said maybe in the heat of the moment. I was assuming this was the trigger for all this. Gus claims his meeting on Monday was the first time they had spoken.

I wonder if part of the problem at the club too is that the leadership structure isn't super clear?

I know I've complained a lot about Gus recently but to me bringing someone like him in was a short term thing. If he wants to stay long term shouldn't he be the actual CEO rather than a contractor? In essence perhaps we have too many chiefs?

5starcognac

Juniors
I
I wonder if part of the problem at the club too is that the leadership structure isn't super clear?

I know I've complained a lot about Gus recently but to me bringing someone like him in was a short term thing. If he wants to stay long term shouldn't he be the actual CEO rather than a contractor? In essence perhaps we have too many chiefs?

I've supported this club for nearly 50 years without flinching, I love being a Panther man, but we just never seem to have a smooth period of 3 or more years, some drama always comes along. Didn't we go through a very similar scenario with Gower that we are presently seeing with Moylan now? Making 2 semi finals in a row should be exciting, even putting up with the "its because of our easy draw"chanters, we are here. We Panther fans should be upbeat and enjoying the buzz of semi final footy, (remember 85,89,90,91)? They were sensational times. I can still feel the excitement in the air, where is that now??
I wish Matt all the best and love his footy, and I really hope he stays, but Saturday night can not come fast enough for me.

betcats

Referee

I think you will find a lot of clubs have this new Football manager or head of football role which overlaps with the CEO. I may be wrong but 5-10 years ago most clubs just ahad a ceo, but now I think many clubs recognised that its hard to find someone with the RL and business and management pedigree that is required to run the business and football sides of the business so they separate the roles.

OldPanther

Coach
I

I've supported this club for nearly 50 years without flinching, I love being a Panther man, but we just never seem to have a smooth period of 3 or more years, some drama always comes along. Didn't we go through a very similar scenario with Gower that we are presently seeing with Moylan now? Making 2 semi finals in a row should be exciting, even putting up with the "its because of our easy draw"chanters, we are here. We Panther fans should be upbeat and enjoying the buzz of semi final footy, (remember 85,89,90,91)? They were sensational times. I can still feel the excitement in the air, where is that now??
I wish Matt all the best and love his footy, and I really hope he stays, but Saturday night can not come fast enough for me.

Agree with a lot of that.

Some people want the club to be successful long term on the back of good football. This year just hasn't been that. Whether people like it or not we got in by the skin of our teeth because of an easy draw and another club having injuries. It's not putting down the club it's wanting better for it.

Anyway up the Panthers and I hope this great team we have realise their potential and smash Manly on Saturday.

I think you will find a lot of clubs have this new Football manager or head of football role which overlaps with the CEO. I may be wrong but 5-10 years ago most clubs just ahad a ceo, but now I think many clubs recognised that its hard to find someone with the RL and business and management pedigree that is required to run the business and football sides of the business so they separate the roles.

Fair point, but few clubs have a guy that looms as large as Gus. (Perhaps Manly or Souths?)

I mean do they understand who their actual boss is?

Gus as well is involved in a lot of non football decisions. He's been heavily involved in changing the logo, jerseys, marketing, stadium stuff. He's also been involved in land sales if you believe that Australian article.

betcats

Referee
Fair point, but few clubs have a guy that looms as large as Gus. (Perhaps Manly or Souths?)

I mean do they understand who their actual boss is?

Gus as well is involved in a lot of non football decisions. He's been heavily involved in changing the logo, jerseys, marketing, stadium stuff. He's also been involved in land sales if you believe that Australian article.

From what has been reported this year I'd be surprised if there wasn't some confusion as to who's responsible for what. I wouldn't put that down to the structure though, I'd put it down to Gus operating as he likes outside the structure. He seems to have been given a free reign by the board to be involved with anything and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts