What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

maple_69

Bench
Matagi is a tidy pick up. Means alongside Mckendry, RCG and Latimore, we'll have Latu, Matagi and Kikau who are all capable of being at worst solid first graders, then Clarke, Albert and Leota probably only a year off. Plus Merrin up the middle.

I think with Whare, Mansour, Gennings, Rennings, Blake, DWZ, Heffernan and Naden we should be alright barring the injury curse.

MaxPower

Juniors
I think we will be stronger next season. We have lost a fair bit of experience but have picked up a lot of talent, and the younger boys have another years worth of experience. And Merrin is a far better player than anyone who left us.

chrisD

Coach
We lack prop quality, outside back depth and at best don't have a settled halves combo, at worst we have Wallace playing.

That said, Kikau and Matagi could step up, our outside backs could have few injuries and TMM and Soward could play the whole year in the halves and look the goods.

Anyway we should be trying to move mountains to sign any impact prop around and looking for some depth at outside back now that Idris is gone and his money available.

Article in full.

Panthers sign Matagi
Penrith Panthers are delighted to announce the signing of forward Suaia Matagi on a one-year deal, with an option for a second year.
The arrival of the 27-year-old prop will bolster the club's front row stocks and create intense competition within the Panthers pack in 2016.
"We are very pleased to sign Sui to our club and he will provide tremendous impact and leadership to our young forwards," Panthers Executive General Manager Rugby League Phil Gould AM said.
"Off the field Sui has proven himself to be an inspiration with his life story and his preparedness to share his experiences with the younger generation.
"As well as playing football, Sui is keen to involve himself in a number of the club's community projects."
http://www.nrl.com/panthers-sign-matagi/tabid/10874/newsid/90766/default.aspx

chrisD

Coach
Definitely better in the middle, if there's going to be a move on Wallace then we'll be better for it, don't know if we have a better coach though, our attack wasn't that impressive under Cleary but without injuries we played a lot of good defensive games.

MaxPower

Juniors
I like Cleary. He did a lot for us, and will do a good job where ever he goes, but i don't think he has a premiership in him. I don't know enough about Griffin to have an opinion one way or the other. He might surprise a few people, hopefully.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Hey guys looks like Penrith have signed Grevsmuhl from 2017 onwards.

He will be great for you guys.

He has a massive future.

maple_69

Bench
Great signing if it comes off.

Some are saying we need to sign a centre but we have Smith along with Rennings and Blake who I think are not far off breaking out. We have the junior half prospects now and I don't think Gus would go out and grab two of the best young halves in the game (Martin and ZDC) if he wasn't planning to transition our halves to juniors.

Could be a beast lineup.

1. DWZ 2. Mansour 3. Blake/Rennings 4. Whare 5. Gennings 6. Moylan 7. Soward 8. RCG 9. Segeyaro 10. Mckendry 11. Cartwright 12. Taylor 13. Merrin 14. Peachey 15. Grevsmuhl 16. Latimore 17. Kikau

Rabbits20

Immortal
Great signing if it comes off.

Some are saying we need to sign a centre but we have Smith along with Rennings and Blake who I think are not far off breaking out. We have the junior half prospects now and I don't think Gus would go out and grab two of the best young halves in the game (Martin and ZDC) if he wasn't planning to transition our halves to juniors.

Could be a beast lineup.

1. DWZ 2. Mansour 3. Blake/Rennings 4. Whare 5. Gennings 6. Moylan 7. Soward 8. RCG 9. Segeyaro 10. Mckendry 11. Cartwright 12. Taylor 13. Merrin 14. Peachey 15. Grevsmuhl 16. Latimore 17. Kikau

I think it'll come off.

Souths can't keep everyone.

chrisD

Coach
I rate Grevsmuhl, more than McQueen and Turner, but I don't know if he's the sort of player to be signing a year in advance.

betcats

Referee
Gus said he tried to sign him for last year from the cows. Anyway the tele is reporting it as a done deal today.

mxlegend99

Referee
Would have thought we could be signing someone for the 2016 season with the funds Jamal Idris has freed up. Seems weird to be signing a guy so far in advance when we should have cash to spare right now. Unless we use that cash to top up some contracts this year and free some more space for 2017.

Would be a good signing for sure. Just a bit odd to be looking at 2017 signings when we should have space for 2016.

Would have thought we could be signing someone for the 2016 season with the funds Jamal Idris has freed up. Seems weird to be signing a guy so far in advance when we should have cash to spare right now. Unless we use that cash to top up some contracts this year and free some more space for 2017.

Would be a good signing for sure. Just a bit odd to be looking at 2017 signings when we should have space for 2016.
Gus got in early I reckon before others circled.
I think there could be another addition for 2016 before the season starts.

Last edited:
GUS GETS FLYER FROM BUNNIES
The Rabbitohs have lost outstanding young forward Chris Grevsmuhl to the Penrith Panthers. Gus Gould has signed the 22-year-old tearaway many regard him as a future representative player.
Souths extended Grevsmuhl’s contract only a couple of months ago but have now agreed to release him for 2017. It helps find the money for Sam Burgess.
The Panthers are going to have an awesome back-row with Tyrone Peachey, Trent Merrin and Grevsmuhl.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ill-hayne-return/story-fni3fbgz-1227599978717

BxTom

Bench
Well we all know what a disappointment this year turned out to be - so much promise, but we were flat out keeping a first grade team on the paddock. But this off season is probably the most interesting that I can recall!

Tom.

mxlegend99

Referee
Maybe Elijah Taylor is as good as gone? or Peachey?

Would be leaving out someone too good for reserve grade if we aren't losing one of them.

Big Mick

Referee
Maybe Elijah Taylor is as good as gone? or Peachey?

Would be leaving out someone too good for reserve grade if we aren't losing one of them.

Wouldn't be shocked if Taylor left.

Also I think maybe with all the off-contract guys this year maybe we re-structure some deals and upweight them for 2016 with Jamal's cash.

IMO that'd be smarter than buy someone as a panic buy.

Gus insinuated that there will be some exciting news next week on twitter.

Said "Closer to home" so not Grevsmuhl.

So hopefully a re-signing of the Jennings boys or DWZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts