What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomednow

Bench
The Tele today reported Matt Elliott told Kevin Locke he was free to look for another club next year. Apparently he contacted Ivan Cleary who offered him 1 year but when Elliott found out, he refused to release Locke to us.
:lol: Bitter much? That's unprofessional as f**k.

franklin2323

Immortal
Good player but with Moss/Moylan and DWZ (who will be our best back since Girdler) where would Locke play?

I rate our kids as much as the next person but when someone better then what we have now comes available you take them even if it's for 12 months only

Panther Pete

Juniors
I rate our kids as much as the next person but when someone better then what we have now comes available you take them even if it's for 12 months only
Exactly. I would def put Locke ahead of Moylan and Moss & DWZ apparently arent ready yet. I would be very happy seeing Locke in our No.1 next year.

maple_69

Bench
He'd improve our side and I certainly wouldn't complain if he came. One year though? If we're waiting for a year or two for DWZ to come good that's fine but we have Moylan and Naqaima who are good options until then. Just seems unnecessary if he's going to be a placeholder.
Save every penny we can for Johnson I say. Matt Elliott can't do a damn thing about that. We should have some serious cash to throw given we have a pretty low key squad and assuming we front loaded a lot of contracts this year we'll have some of our higher paid players on less coin from next season, plus Coote gone.

Doomednow

Bench
Just on front loading contracts, is this really common? Seems like a diminishing wage over time would be a poor incentive for players to stay interested and committed.

maple_69

Bench
You wouldnt have too many clubs in the situation salary cap wise that we were in this year. As dumb as rugby league players are I would think they could figure out that 4, 3 and 2 is the same as 3, 3 and 3. It's not like we're talking incentives where they can earn more based on performajces. Once they've signed tye contract they can clock off regardless if that's the type of person they are.

Doomednow

Bench
You wouldnt have too many clubs in the situation salary cap wise that we were in this year. As dumb as rugby league players are I would think they could figure out that 4, 3 and 2 is the same as 3, 3 and 3. It's not like we're talking incentives where they can earn more based on performajces. Once they've signed tye contract they can clock off regardless if that's the type of person they are.

I know it makes no real difference to their overall wage, but psychologically it might have an effect. As in, in the final year of their contract they might not be as bothered since they've already earned the bulk of their money anyway. Might motivate the odd to look for an early release as well.

I don't really know, just a thought.

franklin2323

Immortal
I know it makes no real difference to their overall wage, but psychologically it might have an effect. As in, in the final year of their contract they might not be as bothered since they've already earned the bulk of their money anyway. Might motivate the odd to look for an early release as well.

I don't really know, just a thought.

Happens all the time. Leary was hopeless and had no idea how to work it properly is why we got into the trouble we did with overpaid players. I don't think anyone we had was overpaid relative to market value just we had them all on the cap

Lets use Locke as an example.
Say we sign him for $300k.
His Warriors contract runs until Nov 30.
He is released in Oct. We have until 30 Nov 2014 to pay him the $300k. Given 2013 salary caps aren't finalised until Nov 30 this year....If he is released (You can't be signed to 2 clubs) we can pay him on this year effectively having him for 0 next year

Gould gets all the credit but Moss is doing all this sort of stuff. Gus would go and source to players have an idea of their worth and then say to Moss can we fit them in. Very under rated imo

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal

Yeah you sign them for say $600k over 3 years. Not $200k a season. You would think that's the plan because releasing Jennings and Coote when we did makes no sense otherwise.

One of the Tigers players (and Cartwright I think). Re-signed for 2 years the deal is next year NYC contract then F/T. In that case you are limited but aside from that.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
If he is patient he could go well at Manly. Matai & Lyon aren't getting any younger. Best of luck to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.