What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mick

Referee
TBH people comparing him to Simpkins...he is miles in front of Simpkins and I don't think personally that Simpkins ceiling is as high as the level Stagg is right now. But maybe that's just me...

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
TBH people comparing him to Simpkins...he is miles in front of Simpkins and I don't think personally that Simpkins ceiling is as high as the level Stagg is right now. But maybe that's just me...

It's age. Simpkins 23. Stagg 30. You can't say for a fact Stagg won't get slower. Play less minutes etc. Say he signs for 2 years. There is no guarantee he will be better then simpkins by year 2.

It's not just that. If we can't do the job with 13 backrowers we have now then we have problems. We have Newton, Ciraldo, Plum, Galea, Smith, Brown, Robinson, Manu, Austin, O'Donnell, VTK, Eisenhuth, Docker.

Big Mick

Referee
Franklin...after next year:

Newton, Ciraldo, Plum, Galea, Smith will all be gone.

O'Donnell is going to be a prop not a backrower.

Eisenhuth...I'm sorry...but he isn't going to develop I don't believe into anything that will contribute.

Which means our backrow stocks are Brown (who'll likely be utility after next year when Kingston goes), Robinson, Manu, Austin, VTK, Docker. That's 6 backrowers...and I think Stagg is going to be better than Simpkins for the next two years.

Would I overpay...no.

If he came at a reasonable deal...I'd take him. He offers more than the majority of our backrowers right now and he is a relentless player who contributes offensively and defensively unlike some of our guys who only contribute one or the other.

Big Mick

Referee
C.Smith and Cartwright will replace these guys in 2014.

Maybe Daz...maybe they aren't ready to contribute on a full time basis by 2014. Looking at a guy like Seijka...shows what the gulf is between NYC & NRL. It is even more difficult for a forward.

But if we sign Stagg....we have an experienced guy there for a year while we slowly bring these two guys along.

We'll get rid of the other deadwood by next year...then Stagg another year...and we'll have our young guns all in for an all-out dynasty assault on the comp in 14/15.

franklin2323

Immortal
Franklin...after next year:

Newton, Ciraldo, Plum, Galea, Smith will all be gone.

O'Donnell is going to be a prop not a backrower.

Eisenhuth...I'm sorry...but he isn't going to develop I don't believe into anything that will contribute.

Which means our backrow stocks are Brown (who'll likely be utility after next year when Kingston goes), Robinson, Manu, Austin, VTK, Docker. That's 6 backrowers...and I think Stagg is going to be better than Simpkins for the next two years.

Would I overpay...no.

If he came at a reasonable deal...I'd take him. He offers more than the majority of our backrowers right now and he is a relentless player who contributes offensively and defensively unlike some of our guys who only contribute one or the other.

In 12 months. We have Brown and Manu settled. VTK, Austin and Robinson and Simpkins 12 months further developed. Like Daz said Smith and Cartwright closer to 1st grade.

In 2014. Roughly We will have Brown (27), Manu (27), Grant (26), McKendry (25). Latimore (28), Weston (27) around the pack. So we have enough Experience. Ideally Austin fills the 13 jersey

Nothing to say Eisenhuth or Docker can't fill a similar role. Neither has has a F/T off season yet.

We still need halves and re-sign some gun juniors. I would rather we keep the money and strengthen a weakness. A tackling backrower isn't a weakness.

maple_69

Bench
I'm fine with this signing. Halves are tye priority yes but we're not getting anywhere with that next year so its only 2014 that will be effected and at that point most of our nuffy second rowers will be gone.
I'd say Stagg would become our 3rd best second rower. Of course guys like Docker and Simpkins may develop nicely but I think we have gotten into the bad habit of waiting for players to reach their potential at theepense of fixing the problem now. Assuming he came at a decent price we get a backrow next year with massive big game experience.

Big Mick

Referee
Feltis confirmed yesterday that we will be in the market for Thurston in 2014.

That's priority #1

Stagg is Priority #20 but I wouldn't care if we got him. IMO he's better right now than what we have....and that means our team gets better...I have no opposition to that.

maple_69

Bench
Could I assume that, given our much reported salary cap woes for 2014 onwards were related to inflated contracts signed in anticipation of a salary cap rise, we are now in a decent if not better salary cap position than most with the cap now definitely set to rise?

ashton

Juniors
Knights lose two local lads to Penrith
By BRETT KEEBLE Sept. 17, 2012, 11:22 p.m.

Newcastle-born forwards Sam Anderson and Ethan Cook, who will represent the Knights in the NSW Cup preliminary final against Balmain Ryde-Eastwood at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday, will play for the Panthers next season.

Penrith general manager of football Phil Gould told the Newcastle Herald last night that Anderson had signed a one-year contract and Cook had been secured for two years.

Anderson, who won the Knights' National Youth Cup players' player and player of the year awards in 2011, knocked the Panthers back at the end of last year to sign a one-year extension after Newcastle coach Wayne Bennett spoke to him and convinced him to stay and spend the off-season training with the NRL squad.

But Anderson could not break out of the NSW Cup ranks all season and Gould was not to be denied a second time.

After meeting with Anderson's father, Peter, in Newcastle on the night of the Knights' last game against Souths three weeks ago, Gould convinced the West Maitland Red Dogs junior to join the Panthers.

"I've enjoyed my time at Newcastle but I'm looking forward to the change at Penrith as well," Anderson said last night.

"To be honest, being 21, you kind of need to make a decision, and I think the opportunity at Penrith is a lot better forwards-wise.

"There's more of an opportunity for making my NRL debut there - in the next couple of years, hopefully - than there is at the Newcastle Knights.

"It's all about chasing opportunity and there's a good group of us going down there."

Anderson and Cook will join Knights clubmates Wes Naiqama and Kyle O'Donnell among Penrith's recruits for 2013.

franklin2323

Immortal
That's priority #1

Stagg is Priority #20 but I wouldn't care if we got him. IMO he's better right now than what we have....and that means our team gets better...I have no opposition to that.

Would he be come 2014?

That's my only issue We got Cook & Anderson they are the sort of signings we should be after. Players that could be anything.

This time last year I would take him in a heartbeat. The signings we made with the juniors coming through. We are fine for forwards. We could do with halves & hookers

ashton

Juniors
We are also in negotiations with a Newcastle SG Ball player. (I was talking to the player yesterday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts