What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardbaby

Coach
Williams will be the most sought after half in the game. Thurston is a gun but most clubs won't pay that sort of money. Really leaves it to Cowboys, Panthers and possibly the Dogs. But Williams will be half a million cheaper and every club can afford that. He will be a star and I'd be surprised if he leaves the Raiders. If he does, Dragons are the most likely.

Big man

Juniors
The Raiders do seem to have a few too many halves. Milford looks the goods so they would be crazy to let him go, so Williams may get squeezed out. Souffs apparently have a good young half as well that will be stuck behind Reynolds. Cant think of his name, but Souffs fans seem to talk him up.

Thurston & a good young bloke would be good. Thurston & Carney although unrealistic would be awsome short term.

The big money for Thurston at his age is a huge gamble, it's not because he doesn't have the star ability but there is the potential with injury, all players reach a point in their career where their bodies start to fall apart and JT is borderline in ths regard. Yes I like young Keary from Souths, he has the whole game, many are saying he will be the next big thing in the halves, better then Reynolds.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
To be honest, if we miss Thurston, I'd like to see a play made for Carney. I know he's a grub, but he's playing decent footy and I think he's primed for a big season.

I know is different coach and administration but remember last time we had a "warchest"? Us fans got our hopes up, then bent over and f**ked

franklin2323

Immortal
I can see Williams leaving for sure, especially with Mitch Cornish(2015) and Anthony Milford(2014) re-signing last year. At least one of them will be in First Grade next year, maybe even this year.

Then we would need to fight off Dragons for him. Can we pay $400k they reportedly offered on top of Thurston?

We miss Thurston then it's all out for him. We need halves but also need to fill other holes aswell

franklin2323

Immortal
I know is different coach and administration but remember last time we had a "warchest"? Us fans got our hopes up, then bent over and f**ked

I have the same fears. I fear we will get overpriced backrowers instead of halves. I was happy with our squad pre Siejka and Jennings departing. So I will be quietly confident we do better with it.

Whare is a good solid player but won't break too many tackles. Roberts is a talent aside from him we need a strike centre/fullback and halves and need to spend it.

Panfas

Juniors
If, as has been suggested, we have in excess of $1.5m to spend for 2014, then targeting players like this is a great way to go. However, we need to ensure we snag a top line #6 or #7.

The likes of Ciraldo, Daniella, Galea, Kingston, Newton, Simmons, Smith & Weston, among others will probably not be retained

That will leave us in a position of another mass recruitment drive, but the difference is we wont be buying fillers, but proven first graders and genuine stars. Any holes will be patched by up and coming juniors, as is the '2015' plan.

Now I dont know what their market value will be, but something like this may be a ballpark figure

Locke - $350k
Taylor - $250k
Thurston $550k ($1.05m total, remaining covered by 3rd party)

That leaves us with around $350k (or more) remaining for another star or a few solid first graders.

Next year, at least 1 or 2 of the young players we recruited for this year should be making grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts