What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxhead

First Grade
Re-signing Lasalo is a step in the right direction. The kid has been great for us so far this season and has really stamped his mark on the starting back-row. One of many players that seems to have improved out of sight under Kearney.

He adds a running game to our back-row that we have lacked, and you can tell from watching him that he is only going to get better.

born an eel

Bench
Re-signing Lasalo is a step in the right direction. The kid has been great for us so far this season and has really stamped his mark on the starting back-row. One of many players that seems to have improved out of sight under Kearney.

He adds a running game to our back-row that we have lacked, and you can tell from watching him that he is only going to get better.
I would love to see a list of players you are thinking of???
It's a bit early in the season to be making these sort of judgements.

Allgood, Morgan, Lasalo and also Mortimer have all improved so far under SK, everybody has been bagging Morts but he was pretty good on Saturday night and Robson played the best he has since 2009.

born an eel

Bench
Allgood, Morgan, Lasalo and also Mortimer have all improved so far under SK, everybody has been bagging Morts but he was pretty good on Saturday night and Robson played the best he has since 2009.
while your at it you might as well include Keating & Webb :roll:

Eels Dude

Coach

The first two players you mentioned hadn't even played first grade until this year, so what are you judging their improvement on? Lasalo played 3 first grade games in the past 2 years and has had a go this year, but hardly world beating stuff. Morts, well he had a good game on saturday, but as far as improvement goes then one good game doesn't mean he's suddnely improved. He should be showing that form every single week.

jono

Juniors
Must admit , when Morts threw the cut out pass to Burty for his first try , I thought it was Hayne , and only realised it was Morts when I saw the replay on the big screen.
Good stuff , more please!

boxhead

First Grade
Agreed. Pretty foolish statement by boxhead there.

Speak for yourself.

Yes it was outlandish and too early into the season to really comment, but you can tell from watching the team that certain players have definitely improved or seem to be really benefiting under the new coach.

Let's see;

Daniel Mortimer - it's obvious to anyone who isn't blindly biased that he is improving, he has played four games in a row that have each been better than any game he has played in 2010.

Tim Mannah - definitely improved on 2010. Whilst he was brilliant in 2010, he was playing off the bench and we all know there is a big gap between starting and coming off the bench. Mannah has been our best forward by miles, and many other opposition fans say he is the form NSW prop in the NRL at the moment. He has played much longer minutes, and his effectiveness has only gone up.

Taniela Lasalo - your perception of improvement may be different to mine, but a person that wasn't tipped by anyone to make the 17, let alone the starting side, and is now one of our form players; seems to me that that is improvement under the coach. Have you seen his stats?

Mitchell Allgood - perhaps not improvement, but he has done exceptionally well when no-one would have thought he would play in Round 1. Surprise, he was one of our best players.

Ryan Morgan - ditto Allgood.

The theme with the latter three appears to be more that Kearney has taken young juniors that have little experience and who are now performing well individually. That much is clear; as it goes with these sorts of players, it is more confidence instilled in them by the coach; all three of them have handled the pressure very well, some would say exceptionally so.

The only player who has gone 'backwards' is Ben Smith, the rest are either performing well as a team or are improved on last year. And considering the huge lack of talent in relation to pretty much every other team in the competition, to be playing well as a team and for relatively unknown or no-name players to be doing so well is testament to Kearney's regime.

Eels Dude

Coach
Speak for yourself.

Yes it was outlandish and too early into the season to really comment, but you can tell from watching the team that certain players have definitely improved or seem to be really benefiting under the new coach.

Let's see;

Daniel Mortimer - it's obvious to anyone who isn't blindly biased that he is improving, he has played four games in a row that have each been better than any game he has played in 2010.

That's not really saying much. He really didn't need to do much to improve on his 2010 form at all. He's still got a LOT of improvement to do if he's going to be a starting half though.

Tim Mannah - definitely improved on 2010. Whilst he was brilliant in 2010, he was playing off the bench and we all know there is a big gap between starting and coming off the bench. Mannah has been our best forward by miles, and many other opposition fans say he is the form NSW prop in the NRL at the moment. He has played much longer minutes, and his effectiveness has only gone up.

Yes he has improved. But he was always going to. The past two seasons were always stepping stones for him. It always props a few seasons before they hit their straps. So yes Mannah has improved, but that has nothing to do with Kearney... it's because his body has filled out properly and after a couple of seasons learning his trade he's now physically able to play as a starting front rower and for longer stints. It's the same for any young front rower.
Taniela Lasalo - your perception of improvement may be different to mine, but a person that wasn't tipped by anyone to make the 17, let alone the starting side, and is now one of our form players; seems to me that that is improvement under the coach. Have you seen his stats?

In order to improve you need to improve on something. So if you get a B for 2010, a B+ for 2011 is an improvement. If you don't have any prior judgement on his performances then you can't really say he's improved. Maybe he's now 'ready' for first grade. But just because he's now ready for first grade doesn't mean he's necessarily improved. I don't even know if he's been going that good this year. Everyone was blasting him last week after we lost to Souths[/QUOTE]

Mitchell Allgood - perhaps not improvement, but he has done exceptionally well when no-one would have thought he would play in Round 1. Surprise, he was one of our best players.

I agree. Allgood has been quite a find. Surprised me with his early season form. Morgan is yet to impress though, has done little if anything.

The theme with the latter three appears to be more that Kearney has taken young juniors that have little experience and who are now performing well individually. That much is clear; as it goes with these sorts of players, it is more confidence instilled in them by the coach; all three of them have handled the pressure very well, some would say exceptionally so.

He hasn't had much of a choice. With injuries and lack of depth these players had to be given a go. I don't think they're performing as well as you think they're performing. We've won two games from four... both lucky wins really. We could easily be 0/4... The players this year have been ok, not brilliant at all. They may have handled the pressure but at this stage only time will tell if they're good enough to be career first graders.

The only player who has gone 'backwards' is Ben Smith, the rest are either performing well as a team or are improved on last year. And considering the huge lack of talent in relation to pretty much every other team in the competition, to be playing well as a team and for relatively unknown or no-name players to be doing so well is testament to Kearney's regime.

See that's an opnion again not a fact. If we lost on saturday we'd all have the kvies out calling for his head. I don't know if we're playing well as a team. We're playing ok. But we definately are making a lot of decisions as a team and quite often making a meal of attacking plays. If you think we're playing well as a team based on the first four games of the season I'm sorry Boxhead but you're easily pleased.

Suitman

Post Whore
Speak for yourself.

Let's see;

That's not really saying much. He really didn't need to do much to improve on his 2010 form at all. He's still got a LOT of improvement to do if he's going to be a starting half though.

Yes he has improved. But he was always going to. The past two seasons were always stepping stones for him. It always props a few seasons before they hit their straps. So yes Mannah has improved, but that has nothing to do with Kearney... it's because his body has filled out properly and after a couple of seasons learning his trade he's now physically able to play as a starting front rower and for longer stints. It's the same for any young front rower.

In order to improve you need to improve on something. So if you get a B for 2010, a B+ for 2011 is an improvement. If you don't have any prior judgement on his performances then you can't really say he's improved. Maybe he's now 'ready' for first grade. But just because he's now ready for first grade doesn't mean he's necessarily improved. I don't even know if he's been going that good this year. Everyone was blasting him last week after we lost to Souths

I agree. Allgood has been quite a find. Surprised me with his early season form. Morgan is yet to impress though, has done little if anything.

He hasn't had much of a choice. With injuries and lack of depth these players had to be given a go. I don't think they're performing as well as you think they're performing. We've won two games from four... both lucky wins really. We could easily be 0/4... The players this year have been ok, not brilliant at all. They may have handled the pressure but at this stage only time will tell if they're good enough to be career first graders.

See that's an opnion again not a fact. If we lost on saturday we'd all have the kvies out calling for his head. I don't know if we're playing well as a team. We're playing ok. But we definately are making a lot of decisions as a team and quite often making a meal of attacking plays. If you think we're playing well as a team based on the first four games of the season I'm sorry Boxhead but you're easily pleased.

I look at posts like these and either fall asleep or click on a grass growing website.
Fair dinkum guys, trim the fat and you'll sell more meat.

Suity

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
I look at posts like these and either fall asleep or click on a grass growing website.
Fair dinkum guys, trim the fat and you'll sell more meat.

Suity

What's it to you if I have a discussion with Boxhead about our club? There's no malice involved from me nor him... it's simply two blokes discussing their opinions on certain matters. If it makes you snore then don't read it.

We have forums for a reason... personally I enjoy discussing our gameplay or other issues with fellow Eels supporters much more than responding to trolls or complaining about bright yellow caps. Maybe you prefer the latter.

Last edited:

The Colonel

Immortal
We do have forums for a reason and there is a very good reason for various threads. This thread in particular regards Rumoured/Confirmed Signings. Instead of using it as a discussion thread lets use it for its intended use.

Tired of wading through sh*t to find out anything regarding any form of signing..... rumoured, confirmed or not.

Eels Dude

Coach
We do have forums for a reason and there is a very good reason for various threads. This thread in particular regards Rumoured/Confirmed Signings. Instead of using it as a discussion thread lets use it for its intended use.

Tired of wading through sh*t to find out anything regarding any form of signing..... rumoured, confirmed or not.

If this thread was reserved for only about rumoured or confirmed signings it would be a total of 1 page long not 89... Really at the end of the day isn't it better that if threads go off topic it's for analytical discussion as opposed to just useless trolling, silly jokes or Caspar's ramblings and pics?

The Colonel

Immortal
If this thread was reserved for only about rumoured or confirmed signings it would be a total of 1 page long not 89... Really at the end of the day isn't it better that if threads go off topic it's for analytical discussion as opposed to just useless trolling, silly jokes or Caspar's ramblings and pics?

No different to Casper's ramblings..... need to go into analytical discussion than create a thread for it. The title of the thread is what the discussion should be about......

Eels Dude

Coach
No different to Casper's ramblings..... need to go into analytical discussion than create a thread for it. The title of the thread is what the discussion should be about......

Fine. I won't bother going to that effort but I'll leave it at that. I'm just simply saying myself and Boxhead got involved in a discussion and while originally on topic it moved off topic. Same with every thread. But I'll keep it in mind in future and will point out to others every time they make a post which is irrelevent to the thread title then they deserve to be chastised for it.

Considering you're a super moderator perhaps I should also PM you every time I notice a post which isn't relevent to the thread title just to let you know so you can take action against the perpetrator.

The Colonel

Immortal
Fine. I won't bother going to that effort but I'll leave it at that. I'm just simply saying myself and Boxhead got involved in a discussion and while originally on topic it moved off topic. Same with every thread. But I'll keep it in mind in future and will point out to others every time they make a post which is irrelevent to the thread title then they deserve to be chastised for it.

Considering you're a super moderator perhaps I should also PM you every time I notice a post which isn't relevent to the thread title just to let you know so you can take action against the perpetrator.

Sarcasm is good...... there is actually a report button at the top of each post that you can use to better effect. Enjoy.

Suitman

Post Whore
Speak for yourself.

Let's see;

What's it to you if I have a discussion with Boxhead about our club? There's no malice involved from me nor him... it's simply two blokes discussing their opinions on certain matters. If it makes you snore then don't read it.

We have forums for a reason... personally I enjoy discussing our gameplay or other issues with fellow Eels supporters much more than responding to trolls or complaining about bright yellow caps. Maybe you prefer the latter.

Not at all. If you enjoy that type of discussion - all power to you.
I just find long winded replies like these f**king boring.
How can I not notice them when I click on the thread and see line after line of in my opinion meaningless dribble.
If you want to re-invent the Bible, PM him.
Suity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts